Friday 20 March 2020

The Strange World of Coronavirus and Job Hunting

The past few days have been quite strange with regards to job searching. It went from almost nothing to most of the big local supermarkets looking for staff to cope with the demand caused by the coronavirus panic buying.

This also conincided with the news that the Department for Work & Pensions have cancelled all face-to-face appointments, with all benefit payments made automatically for at least the next three months.

I have to admit that this has left me in two minds. On one hand I've applied for a lot of these new jobs, simply because I want to work and I want to help.

But on the other hand I have a heart condition and I may be one of those who is at risk. I've not only heard all of the horror stories about panic buying, I've also seen some pretty nasty things myself. When I see what's happening, when I hear about some of the abuse retail workers are getting at the moment I think to myself thank fuck I'm not working at the moment.

There's also a couple of other things to consider. Public transport is being scaled back in the next couple of days, which means that working outside of Cromer may be out of the question, and as I said before I'm also guaranteed benefit payments for at least three months. It may not be a lot of money but it's better than nothing.

So I find that I'm asking myself if I really need to work? Sure it would be nice to have a wage, but is it worth it?

I really feel for all of you who have to deal with the general public at the moment. From top to bottom you should be treated with the dignity and respect you deserve. You don't need to be treated like shit, and if I could I'd shake the hand of every person who has served me or helped me in the past few days.

Oh, and one more thing. #fuckcoronavirus

No comments:

Post a Comment