Friday, August 14, 2026

Happy Misdiagnosis Day!

Happy Misdiagnosis Day!

Three years ago today a locum GP told me, over the phone, "You've probably got a chest infection. You should be okay with some over the counter medication."

Imagine what a simple course of antibiotics would have done. I might have avoided:


Four weeks in hospital (including a period where it looked like I might not make it), three litres of fluid taken during two lung drains, a partially-deflated lung, an operation to repair my diaphragm, three blood transfusions, a bowel infection, five scars on the right-hand side of my torso, internal scar tissue reacting with nerve endings producing constant pain from my neck down the right side of my torso down to my hip, a dozen forms of different medication, countless blood tests, treatment from the mental health team after thoughts about unalive-ing myself because of all the pain and the trauma I'd been through, and several re-occcurances of my heart condition which required (and will require) even more hospital treatment.

Oh, and I lost my job as well, and I still haven't been declared fit to return to work. (Hence me doing all this online, content creator-type stuff.)

Still, happy days, eh!

No comments:

Post a Comment