Monday 31 December 2001

Open Letter to WCW

Below is a letter which I sent to WCW via their website. As I don't really expect them to put it on their site, I am publishing it here. If you want to send an e-mail to WCW about their current situation, e-mail feedback@wcw.com

Well, I have to admit I am a little saddened by WCW's apparent demise, but to be honest with you all, I saw it coming a long time ago.

As an Internet wrestling writer, I have followed most aspects of the wrestling business for many years, and as far as I can see, WCW is going belly up because of many things. Not pushing the younger talent in years gone by, constantly pushing the over-the-hill guys like Hogan and Flair when they were obviously past it, and ruining great careers, like those of Bret Hart and Vampiro.

The lack of a constant and consistent booking team also did not help matters much. The constant title changes of last year, including the disastrous run as world champion of David Arquette made WCW a laughing stock in the Internet writing community.

It really does not surprise me that Ted Turner's stations have dropped WCW programming. The writers, although talented, do not plan for the long run, unlike their counterparts over at the WWF.

The exorbitant prices they also paid the ageing stars like Hogan and Savage were all fine and dandy, but when Hogan and Savage weren't doing anything, all you had were overpriced couch potatoes.

In my opinion, WCW never really recovered from the disastrous run of Kevin Sullivan as head booker, which in turn led to the loss of four of the greatest wrestlers ever in WCW history - Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Perry Saturn and Dean Malenko, along with the losses of Raven, Paul Wight, Chris Jericho and many more. Talent like this that was buried in Atlanta is now achieving great success in Stamford. A show that the WWF always has had the superior booking team and talent management.

I have a feeling this critique of all things WCW probably won't make it onto your website. That's why I am going to publish it in my own newsletter, and in the various web sites and newsletters I write for. That way someone will see it and probably have something to say about it.

Now that Vince McMahon has brought the WCW brand name, let's hope that he'll be able to do something with it. ECW may be dead and buried. Hopefully WCW will come back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment