Sunday 31 December 2000

Hogan v Russo - Work or Shoot?

Hey everyone! How are things? Well, this is my first "proper" column for TWA, so before I go any further, I'd like to thank a few people - James Ellis at Stunner, Nick Allen at Tombstone, James Gallagher at The Main Event, and a special hi to Junkpile - you truly are the man!

Now, ever since the Great American Bash, it seems like every wrestling writer in the world (except Luis in New York) has been writing about the Hogan/Russo thing. I know I'm a bit late, but hey, I'm new to this rag, so cut me some slack!
 

So - Hogan and Russo - work or shoot? My opinion - who cares? If it means that I won't see Hogan in a ring again, then all the better!

It's a well known fact among the fanzine writers of Britain that I don't like Hogan. Never have, never will. I found his WWF title reigns very boring. I found the reigns of Bret Hart, Ric Flair, and even The Ultimate Ego and Yoko"I need three airline seats"zuna better than any of Hogans.

It was always obvious that Hogan would win his matches, whether he be up against the technical skill of Randy Savage of Ted Dibiase, or the sheer power of Andre The Giant or King Kong Bundy. A typical Hogan match consisted of Hogan brawling at first, his opponent getting him in either a sleeper or chinlock on the mat, Hogan brawling again, his opponent using his finisher, and Hogan kicking out and winning with a big foot/legdrop combo. Same thing every time.

Hogan going to WCW was good for wrestling, and gave the WWF the kick up the ass it needed (that's another story perhaps). But now that Hogan is apparently gone from WCW, if he still wanted to compete. Where could he go?

SCENARIO #1 The independant scene. A non-starter. No one could afford his over-priced carcass.

SCENARIO #2 ECW. I really don't think this would happen. I can't see Paul Heyman giving Hogan the type of concessions Eric Bischoff did. Full creative control over his matches? I don't think so. Guys like Justin Credible, Rob Van Dam, Tommy Dreamer, Rhino and The Sandman are ECW to the bone, and I don't think they would take too kindly to Hogan coming into their domain and demanding the ECW world title.

SCENARIO #3 The WWF. Rumour has it that Vince McMahon would love his prodigal son to return, and I have to admit that this would have some novelty value for me. Last year I wrote a short fictional story, where Hogan returned to the WWF for his final match, and Steve Austin challenging him. While an Austin/Hogan match looks unlikely, how about The Rock v Hogan, or Triple H v Hogan? While I admit that these would be good business for a pay-per-view, the creative control thing would come into play again. In my opinion, Hogan would only be allowed to win the WWF title again in his last ever match. I doubt if he would defend it week in and week out on Raw or Smackdown, let alone house shows. If he did win it in his last match, it could be looked upon as his crowning glory, the first man to ever retire as WWF champion.

In closing - if I were Hogan's career counsellor, I would advise trying the WWF thing, and then doing some of those awful straight to video movies he does so well (3 Ninjas Drop Acid?) Make some wise investments, live off the interest his money would earn, and then please, please, please stay off my television screen! I've had enough of his ego!

Until next time.....  

No comments:

Post a Comment