Sunday 31 December 2000

What the Frell is Going on in WCW?

With the news that Vampiro, in my opinion one of the few credible pieces of talent in WCW, has had to retire because of injuries sustained in the ring, I find myself asking a certain question again - WHAT THE FRELL IS GOING ON IN WCW?This is the second time in less than a year that a wrestler working for WCW has sustained this sort of injury, and has had to retired as a result. Granted, the Bret Hart situation is a little different. Many thought that he was near the end of his career anyway.

But the Vampiro situation does bring up this question again. What the hell were the WCW bookers doing making Vampiro wrestle when he was clearly in no fit state to do so? Vampiro was in the prime of his career, and he was actually one of the few men I enjoyed watching on WCW programming. We in the UK didn't see the best bits of his feud with Sting, but from what I've read, and from what I've been told, it was a classic.

So what's happened now? Goldberg went in with a stiff kick on Bret Hart, ending his career. Was he disciplined in any way? What do you think? Should Mike Awesome be reprimanded for his stiff work on Vampiro? No, because this is not entirely his fault. Vampiro has been cut down in the prime of his career not by a wrestler, but by a bunch of bookers who couldn't run a sex show in a brothel. The effects of Vampiro's injuries will be with him for the rest of his life, while those who made him wrestle will still go about their daily business.

This is just another example of the glowing differences between WCW and the WWF. Can anyone answer the following questions - when was the last time you heard of something like this happening in the WWF? When was the last time you heard of locker room disunity in the WWF? When was the last time a WWF wrestler went public and said that they were really annoyed with the WWF behind the scenes staff? Answers on an email to the above address.

So what will Vampiro do next? There's rumours of a music career. Will, or should he, sue WCW? That's something for him to decide. It's just lucky he got out when he did, otherwise I could have been writing another column about a deceased wrestler, and that's something I don't want to do anytime soon.

Vampiro, I didn't watch you for long, but what I saw I liked. You earned my respect, and I'm sure the respect of many others. Good luck with whatever you do with the rest of your life. Best wishes, and may your gods go with you.

Until next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment