Sunday 31 December 2000

Random Ramblings

Welcome to this small instalment of TSR. I'm doing this one now because I'm working on a couple of articles for the various people I write for which are taking longer than expected, so I may not be able to send one out on my usual day.Firstly, a couple of messages - a big thankyou to everyone who wrote to me about my Vampiro piece. I seem to be developing a catchphrase when I say I welcome all feedback - good and bad. Also, please send all the feedback to my email address, and not to the editors. You'll get a personal reply a bit quicker that way.

I must say though that the latest statement from Vampiro regarding his career is very good, and I am extremely pleased that he may, one day, once he is fully recovered, return to the ring. Good luck to you (does anyone know if Vampiro reads this.)

Before I go on - to the editor of Ringside Wrestling News - can you get back in touch with me about your offer - sorry, but I lost your email address.

Now, my brief statement - this will probably mean nothing to fans in the US or Canada, but I know of a way that the WWF could have gotten some good publicity here in Britain. With the UK only PPV, Rebellion, taking place this Saturday, the WWF could have gained some good publicity on mainstream television over here - how? I am a big fan of the comedy/sports quiz They Think It's All Over. I have watched this since the beginning. This show is the dogs bollocks, and is, in my opinion, one of the best shows the BBC has put out in the past few years.

The WWF could have had some good publicity by gettting none other than The Rock onto this show. They could have done this last year as well, in my opinion, but after seeing highlights of his stint on Saturday Night Live, I believe that The Rock would have been perfect for this show. After all, he was mentioned on last week's show.

My idea would have been to put him on David Gower's team, mainly to hear Jonathon Ross say his name. Sure, host Nick Hancock and panellists Ross and Rory McGrath would have played a few jokes off him, but the People's champ could have handled this. But as The Rock won't be arriving until Saturday morning, this probably won't happen, unless they haven't taped this week's show and someone from Auntie Beeb is reading this and phoning Vince McMahon as we speak.

The other idea I had last year is obviously a non-starter now - The Big Show on the Feel The Sportsman segment. It would have been fun to see Rory and Gary Lineker blindfolded and fumbling round this man mountain. Then again, perhaps this idea isn't totally dead - how would Rory and Gary react when blindfolded and confronted by Chyna?

Anyway, like I said, this is all mute, because when was the last time a millionaire like Vince McMahon listened to a garden centre worker from a small English seaside town? Hey, this was a bit longer than I expected! Anyway, I'm off to work on a few other things. I'll warn you all now, at least ONE, and maybe more, of my fellow DSD writers may be offended by my column in the coming weeks.

And finally, the first annual TSR awards will be taking place in a few weeks. Full coverage of the ceremony, hosted by yours truly, from the Anglia Court Hotel in Cromer will appear here in one, or possibly two parts. Keep the feedback coming folks.

Until next time.....  

No comments:

Post a Comment