Sunday 31 December 2000

Wrestling E-Zine Review

Welcome to this edition of TSR. This week, I'm not going to comment on the goings on of the wrestling world. I thought I would do something a little different. This edition I will concentrate on some of the many e-mail newsletters, and reviewing their recent output.

As many of you know, I write for a few newsletters, and it was my original intention not to include the review of this newsletter in this article. However, I thought that to be totally fair, I would include all the reviews, and not leave anything out. I'm sure that all of my editors, like me, welcome all forms of feedback.

Before I start, I would just like to say that I have in no way been asked by the editors of the following newsletters or any of their staff to write the following comments about their newsletters. Also, I have not included the e-mail addresses for the newsletters. However, if you are taking my reviews to heart, and want to subscribe to any of the newsletters I have reviewed, I would be more than happy to send anyone subscription information if they e-mail me. So here goes.....

ESSENTIAL WRESTLING NEWS - Quite a good newsletter, although it does seem to be a little elitist. Everything seems to be something-or-other@e... But hey, I'm probably only saying that because they never returned my e-mails about a possible writing job with them. Damn good Q&A spot though. 7/10

PRO WRESTLING CHRONICLE - Unlike other newsletters this has an excellent results service from al over the US and Japan (sadly no results from Britain though). However, in my opinion, PWC is let down by it's news only format. It could do with a column or two, even if it's only once or twice a week. 7/10

2EXTREME NEWSLETTER - An ECW dedicated newsletter which has great potential, as does it's editor and head writer. However, he brings far too much of his personal life into things. For instance, he dedicated a whole issue not long ago to his break-up with his girlfriend. If he can cut out the majority of this stuff, this could be a damn good newsletter. 4/10

JANDE NEWSLETTER - I began to lose interest in this publication long ago. One minute it's ceasing publication, the next it isn't. It goes ages without an issue, and then we get one with the editors wanting you to join a personal crusade of theirs. Very little wrestling news, very few columns, very few issues lately. Not much to write home about. 4/10

THE CHOKESLAM NEWSLETTER - I'm not going to be biased here, even though I write for TCN. Out of the ones I've reviewed here, this is probably the best. The majority of the writers are damn good. The news section, and the new Q&A are also very good. 8/10

DAILY SMACKDOWN - Even though I write for DSD, I must admit things have been rather lacklustre as of late, and when the editor admits that he is losing interest in wrestling, and in doing the newsletter, you know that something is wrong. The news section and articles are mostly good, but it could do with some really fresh ideas. 6/10

THE 3:16 REPORT - A friend put me onto this one, because he thought my work might make a good addition to this newsletter. Not a bad effort, but editions have been a bit sparse as of late. The jury is still hung on this one, because I haven't been a subscriber that long. 6/10

WWF: THE INSIDE SOURCE NEWSLETTER - Jack Hensley's shameles self-promotion finally got to me, and I decided to give his newsletter a look see. I've only seen a few issues, but I liked what I saw. Jack and his boys know their stuff, and I hope to see a lot more from these WWF fans. The only reason for the score is because I haven't seen many issues. 6/10

WWF: THE MOONSAULT NEWSLETTER - I'm going to be utterly brutal here. This is a piece of utter crap. Why? Because this newsletter is nothing but a rip-off. The editor's most recent effort was to take an edition of Jack Hensley's newsletter, change a few names and a couple of other things, and pass it off as his own. This, in my humble opinion, is nothing but a load of steaming monkey crap. If he "editor" can't be bothered to put out an original newsletter then he shouldn't be in this business. The fact that he didn't even credit any of Jack's work is, to quote a couple of Canadians, totally heinous. If anyone emails me wanting this subscription address, then forget it. You'll be wasting your time with this piece of shit. 1/10 - and this is being generous.

There are two more newsletters I would have liked to review here - Ringside Wresling News, who wanted me to join their staf, and the Starman Wrestling Newsletter, whose subscription list I have recently joined, but sadly, I haven't received a single issue yet. If the editor of Ringside is reading this, then please get in touch with me regarding your offer. I'm sure you're a busy man but my patience is wearing a little thin.

Well, I'm pretty sure that many of you editors are pleased with what I said about your newsletters, and I'm also pretty sure that some of you are offended by what I said. As I always say, I welcome all feedback, good and bad.And don't forget the TSR awards are fast approaching. Yours truly will be giving the first annual Two Sheds no prizes to the best wrestler, tag-team, match and feud of the year, as well as honouring some of the internet crowd, with awards for best writer, newsletter, as well as awards going to the worst writer, worst newsletter and worst informed fan. So keep a look out around Christmas for these wonderful awards.

Until next time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment