Wednesday 1 May 2019

Don't They Knock on Doors Anymore?

Tomorrow is election day here in England, with most of the country going the polls to elect members of their local and district councils. It doesn’t really have anything to do with the current national problem we have here with Brexit, it’s more to do with things such as rubbish bin collection, park maintenance, you know the sort of thing.

In my part of the world, the Suffield Park area of Cromer, there are three candidates, one each for the country’s main political parties, looking to get my vote. Each of them have gone about campaigning in their own way, but I have to admit that I’m a little bit under whelmed by the whole thing.

Out of the three people standing in my area only two of them have bothered to send me any form of literature telling me who they are and what they hope to achieve. The third one has let it be known who they and what they done for the town via a few sound-bytes in the local press, but there’s been nothing through my letterbox with their name on it.

Which leads me to my next point. Naturally every local news bulletin has featured scenes of party activists going around housing estates, leaflets in hand, knocking on people’s doors in an attempt to win their support for Thursday’s vote.

But can you tell me if these scenes are done just for the cameras these days? Is this something that’s just staged for news bulletins these days?

Why do you ask this? Well, it’s simple. You see, I haven’t seen anyone in my area wearing out their shoe leather going from door to door trying to get a vote.

Now I’m not saying that these people are lazy, and they’ll probably do very little if they get into office. What I am saying is that it would have been nice to have seen my local candidates and their representatives walking around my local area knocking on a few doors trying to get a few votes.

I suppose it seems a bit off to me because all three of my local candidates live within a short distance of my house. It would take me just a couple of minutes to walk to their homes. Imagine though what it would be like if I turned up on their doorsteps and asked them why they should get my vote.

I guess I’m being kind of old fashioned with this one. In an era where our lives are dominated by social media and it’s easy to get your view out to the entire world in a matter of seconds I guess it’s just me thinking that those who want to represent me should do something to earn my vote.

So who will I be voting for tomorrow? That’s between me and the ballot box. All I will say is that the candidate who doesn’t seem to have done any campaigning probably won’t get my vote.



No comments:

Post a Comment