Monday 31 December 2001

What the Hell Are We Internet Hacks Going to Moan About Now?

Well, here we are again. Dog tired from a hard Sunday's work at the garden centre. To be honest, I'm only doing this column today because of certain website guidelines. I did consider leaving it until my next day off, on Tuesday, but, here it is.

So what am I going to run on about today? Well, I thought I'd talk to you about this thought that occurred to me the other morning, while lying in the bath.

You see, for some unknown reason, I began to think of the WWF's purchase of WCW, and I came to the following, startling conclusion.

WHAT THE HELL ARE WE INTERNET HACKS GOING TO MOAN ABOUT NOW?

Let me explain. You see, since I connected to this wonderful thing called the internet just over a year ago, and subscribed to various wrestling newsletters, some still going strong, some now defunct (Daily Smackdown, I'm thinking of you!), I noticed a sort of pattern among wrestling writers, including myself.

We loved most things WWF, and hated most things WCW.

But now, with WWF pulling the strings of the WCW puppet, I began to wonder, what the hell are we going to complain about?

For years now, years before I entered the world wide web community, it was obvious to me that, apart from a certain period five years ago, the WWF was always top dog. WCW was going downhill.

Writers in wrestling magazines all seemed to say the same, as did internet writers.

As my experience of the WWW continued, I saw that there were many WWF dedicated newsletters (Jack Hensley, I'm thinking of you!), and many ECW dedicated newsletters (Luis Tirado Jnr, I'm thinking of you!). But there never seemed to be a newsletter dedicated to all matters WCW.

And then, in February, when I gained full WWW access, the only WCW dedicated website I could find was WCW.com.

WCW bashing seemed to be a favourite sport of us internet hacks. We seemed to take great delight and kicking the ailing promotion. The best time for doing this seemed to be around January of last year, when Benoit and co. took the short trip from Atlanta to Stamford.

I know I'm getting away from the point a little here, but during this time, when ECW was going down the pan, we hacks all seemed to get depressed.

But back to WCW. Now that Uncle Vince, Aunty Linda and Cousin Shane are in control, things are starting to look a little brighter at the moment. And even though British television does not seem interested in showing WCW shows (shame on you Channel 5, Bravo, and especially Sky Sports), I am looking forward to hearing and reading about their first show.

But as I said before - how will it affect the internet writing community?

Will Jack Hensley now widen the scope of his newsletter? Will it become "WWF/WCW: The Inside Source Newsletter"?

What will PWD award winner Jerry wax lyrical about?

Will newsletters combine their WWF and WCW sections?

Will newsletters who only used to report on the "big 2" now begin reporting on the indy scene, or, perhaps even Mexico and Japan?

What the frell will I moan about? After all, the only American promotion seen on British television will be the WWF! (Again, Channel 5, Bravo, and especially, Sky Sports, you should be ashamed of yourselves!)

The next few months will not only be very interesting in the world of professional wrestling, but also in the internet community as well.

After all, with there being no more competition any more, things could get rather boring!

No comments:

Post a Comment