Monday 31 December 2001

I Miss WCW

I am going to start by saying something I thought I never would - I am starting to miss WCW. Many of us writers have said recently that the WWF is getting a bit stale as of late. With The Rock off doing his films, Rikishi's bad shoulder,  and now with Triple H's terrible injury, and the supposed end of the Undertaker-Austin angle, there seems to be a big gap at the top of the tree.

I fully applaud the efforts to get Chris J & Chris B up to the top branch, but even the blindest of men can see there is "No Chance In Hell" of Jericho becoming WWF Champion at King of the Ring. Benoit, however, does seem a cert to become the king.

But getting back to WCW, I must admit I'm starting to have my doubts about WWFE owning the "big two". In years gone by, one could look at the other and say "well, they did that this week, what are we going to do to top that?" WCW came up with the NWO angle, so WWF came up with their new "attitude".

But since WCW shut down, there has been nothing to compare the WWF with. They've had no one to give them the proverbial kick in the pants as it were. Sure, they've made some good efforts as of late. Taker/Austin was well written, Rhyno was cooking up a storm, Angle and Shane shows some prospects, the light-heavies are finally getting a nod, and at last, we have Tajiri, but there is nothing to compare these to at the moment.

And this, I must admit, is making my job a little difficult at the moment. I have very little to draw inspiration from, and I can actually see what Graysox was saying a couple of weeks ago.

I suppose this was why I developed such a strong interest in WAW. But to be honest, things are even starting to wane on that front, but Fightmare was over a month ago, and since then, we've had zilch publicity from them. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound like I'm knocking them, and I still hope that I can work for them in some way, but after the blaze of publicity they had for Fightmare, and their efforts to get British wrestling back "where it belonged", on British television, apart from a small news snippet regarding a charity event in Lowestoft in July, there hasn't been much more than a whimper from them.

Like all good businesses, the WWF needs competition at the moment. And at this moment in time, I really can't see where it's going to come from.

No comments:

Post a Comment