Monday 31 December 2001

Life as an Internet Wrestling Journalist is Hard

I have a confession to make to you all.

You see, with my day job, my new web site, and my newsletter, I considered doing something - giving up doing a wrestling column.

Why? Well, I suppose you could say I was getting a form of writer's block, something I did actually suffer from many, many years ago. I was finding it difficult to get ideas on what to write about.

The reason for this can be put down to a two things.

1) NO MORE ECW - It took me a while to warm to ECW, but when I finally did, when it finally hit me how good ECW was, it happens. The shit hits the fan, and ECW goes to the wall. I am therefore denied such talent as Steve Corino, The Sandman, RVD, and many more.

2) WWFE BUYS WCW - One of my favourite past times before March this year was bashing WCW. There wasn't much I actually liked about them. There were only a few wrestlers who really excited me whenever I watched Nitro or Thunder. Vampiro, Lance Storm, Mike Awesome, to name a few. Their Cruiser weight division was another of the few highlights. It didn't compare to the WWF light-heavies.

It annoyed me that they could get a great talent, a world class talent, and bury them deep into the ground, while some other overpriced, over the hill, bald has-been could turn up just twice a month, huff and puff around the ring for ten minutes in a so-called main-event, and get paid what a small African country could live on for an entire year.

It really annoyed me that their world championship seemed to be put into a pass the parcel like game. So who's champion this week? Well, who's drawn the short straw?

When WCW went belly up, and WWFE came in and rescued them, to be honest, I really feared the worst. Vince McMahon was already signing the top talent from the now dead ECW, and now he controlled all the pieces on the Monopoly board.

It was The Professor who kept saying that Vince will merge the two companies, and how it could work. No he won't, I protested. It would never work.

It was around about this time, that I began to take an interest in my local indy promotion, WAW. I got caught up in their hype.

I also began to explore other avenues - my aforementioned newsletter and web site, for instance.

I continued to watch the goings-on in the wrestling world, and noticed that, with only one major player in the game now, the news items I was reading every day had, quite frankly, become very, very boring. We kept on hearing the same old thing.

Then, what could only be termed as the first casualty of the Internet writing community came. The legendary Graysox threw in her wrestling towel. This really saddened me. It would be a couple of weeks later when The Chokeslam Newsletter changed their policy, and decided to start reporting on indy wrestling, and not just the "big two", or "big one" as they now were.

And so as I continued with my various ventures, I continued to write about WAW, as well as hunting down some free wrestling simulators to review as well.

But the ideas began to dry up, and something began to happen to me that had last happened about seven or eight years ago - I began to lose interest in wrestling.

The perfect example of this came a couple of weeks ago, after my weekend trip to Cornwall. When I came back, I sat down in front of my computer, and had absolutely no idea what to write about. It was then I realised that I had an old column, about Kendo Nagasaki, that I had written in March that had only been published in my own newsletter. So I sent that out for publication.

With the intention of taking a sabbatical from wrestling writing, I began to get a great deal of feedback on the Nagasaki column. This really pleased me. I had no idea that anyone on the far side of the Atlantic had ever heard of Nagasaki.

With renewed vigour, I decided to stick with things, and almost straight away, things began to pick up.

My favourite Canadians, Jericho and Benoit, began to get the push I thought they should have had long ago. My fave little man LSD began to get some much needed airtime. Rhyno began to kick the shit outof everyone, become the tough old bastard rule breaker that hadn't been seen since the early days of Kane. And then, possibly my third favourite Japanese wrestler (behind Jushin Liger and The Great Muta, and shortly ahead of Jinsei Shinzaki), Tajiri, appeared on WWF television.

Then, the WCW invasion began, first with Lance Storm, then with Hugh Morrus, and now, with DDP.

And so the ideas for the next few columns began to flow again. WAW may not be doing much right now, but at least I've got some more material.

This old Internet hack may have a badly gashed right arm that needs treatment every two days at the moment, but he isn't down and out just yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment