Monday 31 December 2001

Chyna's Book

Well everyone, it seems that stock in Two Sheds, Inc. is getting higher and higher all the time. After the disappointment of the Daily Smackdown fiasco, and the recent recruitment of yours truly to two other newsletters, I received two more offers this week. I won't say what they are, but all I will say is that they are under consideration.

Sadly, the other string I was hoping to add to my bow has broken. I had tried to get in touch with the editors of a new newsletter, The Sports Report, about writing a different column for them. The Sports Report is a general sports newsletter, mainly dedicated to American sports. They had said they were looking for new writers, so I put forward my name, offering to write about soccer, cricket, boxing, tennis, whatever! Sadly, no reply. A shame, really. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy writing about wrestling, but it would have been nice to take my writing career down other paths as well. C'est la vie!
 

Now, I have something I'd like all you people in Britain to read. I am basically going to ask you to part with your money! My good friend and work collegue Teresa Edwards, having lost all sense of sanity, is doing a sponsored abseil down the water-tower at RAF Coltishall in Norfolk in June. I promised her I would use my forum here to drum up some publicity for the event. It's all in a good cause, and all the money will be donated to the Royal National Institute for the Blind. If you would like more details, and to sponsor her, please email me and I will forward the messages to her. Even if you live outside Britain and would like to sponsor her, again, email me and I'll forward it to her. You're probably asking why I'm not doing this. The reason is simple! I'm a coward! As far as heights go, that is! I'm alright if I have a firm footing beneath me, but otherwise, no way!

Now, back to business. I had considered writing about the Triple H/Austin match next Sunday. But then I remembered that I'm taking part in a No Way Out special in Chokeslam later this week. If you want to see this, and you don't subscribe to Chokeslam, (unless you're seeing this piece in Chokeslam), send a blank email to thechokeslam-subscribe@topica.com.

So what will I write about now? I know! I'll make a confession! You see, when I first heard that Chyna was writing a book, I had no intention whatsoever to buy the book. I began to think of that scene in Friends, the one where they've all just been to see a movie. Monica, Rachel and Phoebe walk in and say things like "oh, that film was wonderful!" Chandler, Ross and Joey then enter and say "that film sucked! Total chick flick!" That's the feeling I had when I heard about Chyna's book.

The book came out over here last Monday, and I thought that instead of pre-judging, I'd try and read a couple of reviews. It's the same thing I do when I consider buying a new CD, or going to a movie (unless it has the name STAR TREK in the title.) So, I read the reviews. They all seemed to say the same thing about the book. Chyna, in her own words, says the following; moan, bitch, whinge, cry, moan, bitch, whinge. The review I saw in EWN was really scathing. The writer, whose name I can't recall, didn't have a nice word to say about it. At the same time almost every newsletter I subscribe to (except Megaslam) broke the Killer Kowalski story. Kowalski told of how he'd read the book, and labelled it total bullshit. He didn't have a nice thing to say about his former protege. He labelled her a lying b*tch.

Since then, all I've seen about Chyna and her book has all been negative. A couple of weeks ago on Raw and Smackdown they heavily hyped the book and her publicity work. They also played up to the injury angle again. This week, there didn't seem to be much hype. The old saying is that any publicity is good publicity. But I'm not sure about this one. Chyna is currently being portrayed as a whining, bitching, crying, back-stabbing, low down, well, you know what I mean. When she returns from her "injury", you have to wonder how the WWF creative department is going to handle her return, and more importantly, how the people who virtually pay her wages, the fans, are going to react. A little voice deep down is telling me that perhaps we won't see her around for a while. But another is telling me that perhaps the writers will somehow use this situation and turn Chyna from the muscle-bound, girl next door to the biggest b*tch on god's green earth. And perhaps the PWI feud of the year for 2001 will be Chyna v Killer Kowalski.

But here's another thought for you. The Kowalski thing is nothing more than a work, and that he and Chyna planned this all along just to get people to buy the book. Well, to be honest, it hasn't worked with me. Whereas orignally I hadn't intended to buy the book, I'll probably wait until it comes out in paperback. Or have a look around a few second hand book shops. After all, I saved £10 by getting Bill Goldberg's book in a second hand shop! Although this could mean one thing here - Goldberg's book is a load of crap as well! I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I'll let you know when I do!

In a final note, the XFL got a mention this weekened in the Daily Mirror newspaper. I have to admit I was impressed by the article. It seems that in the past, newspaper articles about anything to do with the WWF have been less than respectful. It might be because the XFL is considered "legitimate" sport. Anyway, I won't go into details, but the article was quite positive. It's a shame though, that we aren't seeing any of the action over here. ITV, BBC, Channel 4 and Channel 5 probably won't touch the product, so the last hope is Sky. So, in the style of the save ECW campaign - I think I've got this address right - if you want to see the XFL on Sky, then I suggest emailing the television letters page on letters@bskyb.com. If this isn't right, then those with teletext please go to page 152 to get the proper address, if this one is wrong that is.

Well, that's me done for this week. Normally around this time on a Sunday night (10:50pm) I'd be settling down to watch ECW on Bravo. Sadly, ECW has stopped here now as well. Oh well, you can't have everything! 

No comments:

Post a Comment