Monday 31 December 2001

Random Ramblings January Part 4

Normal service has been resumed as I have returned with my usual column. Thanks to The Professor for his guest spot. Please remember that if you want to give him any feedback about his guest appearance in TSR, please email him on professor417@t...

Anyway, back to business. I did say that I would continue with the nostalgia theme, which I started last week, but I'm going to hold off on that for a while. I'd like to discuss a few other things. The WCW sale - there, I mentioned it.WCW Sin - well, I've seen the reports on Sid's nasty injury. Not to pleasant by all accounts. Although I haven't seen the footage yet, which is due to be shown on Nitro, it's not that nice. Descriptions of the injury reminded me of two similar injuries I saw in football (or soccer) matches over the past few years. Many football fans will recall Coventry's David Busst, and his horrific leg injury which cost him his career. It was so bad they wouldn't show it on television. And I've also seen the pictures of his leg after the countless operation. Not a pretty sight. Last I heard, the poor sod still walks with a limp. And Celtic's Henrik Larrson, when he broke his leg not long ago. Thankfully, he's now back to full fitness. I don't know if he'll see this, but I'd like to wish Sid all the best. Get well soon big man!
 

Still on Sin, Animal was the mystery man? Huh? I smell the work of Johnny Ace here. By all accounts, Sin was the best WCW PPV in a long while. The workers were obviously out to impress the new (old) boss.But reading this, I began to think why I enjoy the WWF far more than WCW. This may be true for many fans in Britain. Think of it this way - the WWF spends weeks and months building up their storylines, and we British fans get excited because we know we will see the pay-off, the end result, in the form of a pay-per-view, whether it be on Sky or Channel 4. We feel the excitement as we try to predict what will happen next, and who will win the ensuing grudge match.With WCW, we see the storylines build up in the weeks and months. We see the build up, the hype to the big grudge matches. And then, nothing. We don't see the big grudge match. We don't get the pay-per-views over here. All we get are stills shown on the next Nitro.

If WCW could get their big events shown over here, even if it is a few days delayed, WCW's fan base over here would increase greatly. The reason we don't see the big ones over here is probably this. Since satellite TV began over here a little over a decade ago, WCW (and NWA) have been seen on the following channels; Screensport (now closed), the old BSB sports channel (now closed), Sky Sports, various regions of the ITV network, TNT, and now, Channel 5 and Bravo. That's seven channels in about 11 years. Not good for business folks. In the same time, the WWF has been on Sky non-stop, Eurosport, when Sky owned a share, and now, Channel 4. Better business here.

Perhaps now with Uncle Eric back in charge, he and his new partners will make the effort and take into account British fans. After all, they do run WORLD Championship Wrestling.

And speaking of fans - onto ECW. I am saddened to hear what has happened here, not only for all the workers, but for the fans as well. Just seeing one of their shows made me realise that ECW fans are a passionate bunch, definitely more passionate than WCW fans. It's because of this that I'm starting to warm to the work of Luis Tirado Jr, and his 2Exteme Newsletter. He is definately one passionate ECW fans. But the passion of the fans alone, sadly, won't save ECW. Sound business dealings, and a television contract, giving them national exposure, is what they need. I seem to be thinking of Smokey Mountain, and the old AWA when I think of ECW. It's a shame one of the big boys can't help them out somehow. If ECW was to sign some sort of deal with either the WWF or WCW, and be allowed to retain complete creative control, ECW could retain it's identity and become some sort of affiliate, having a smaller role to OVW or MCW.But with the XFL, and WCW's recent sale, this isn't likely to happen. A shame really.

And finally, while still on the subject of passion, I saw a recent programme on Channel 4 about the FWA, a British-based promotion. The passion of the people running the company impressed me but I found one thing very amusing, with regards to a statement about the new capital of British wrestling. Let me put it this way.

In the USA, there is Madison Square Garden in New York.

In Japan, there is the Osaka Dome and the Tokyo Dome.

In Britain, there is.......Portsmouth. No disrespect to Portsmouth, but....well, it's that old Olympics to Manchester thing again, isn't it. Well, that's two British places I probably won't be welcome in. Good job I was thinking of going to Dublin this summer! I'll see thee!

No comments:

Post a Comment