Monday 4 March 2019

RE-POST: Random Ramblings, June 2002

It's been a while since I wrote my last on-line column, so, as I have a great deal of time on my hands at the moment, I thought I'd give this a go again.

But first things first. Let's get this over with. Half of my hometown of Cromer seems to know about this, so I may as well tell you all.

I am currently suffering from depression. In my opinion, this is nothing to be ashamed of. Depression is really just like any other illness. Essentially, it is a chemical imbalance of the brain. I'm not going to go into the reasons why I am suffering from this illness because frankly, I don't think that would do you, the reader of this column, or me, the writer of this column, any good at all. All I will say is this - SCREW YOU MARK EDWARDS! There, I must admit I do feel a little better now.

I am now starting to view this depression a little differently now though. I am now starting to think of this thing not as an illness, but perhaps as a demon, a demon that has attacked me twice before in the past twenty years, a demon I have conquered twice before.

Now, with the support of my family and friends, I feel that I have the power to fight this demon once again. It may take me some time, and I may have to ask those closest to me to have some patience with me, but in the end, I am determined to beat this thing.

And not wishing to dwell on my condition for too much longer, I feel I must say a big thank you to a small group of people. I don't want to embarrass them by naming them here. They know who they are. If it wasn't for all of their help and support this past weekend, I probably wouldn't be writing this column right now. You are all true friends, and your support and encouragement means the world to me. I really can't thank you all enough.

Now onto other things.

I recently had the honour of reading Drew MacDonald's Internet column for the first time the other day, and I must say, I am really impressed. Drew certainly pulls no punches, whether he talks about wrestling, football, or anything in particular. I think it's fair to say that my opinion of the Highlander has grown a great deal. Why not check them out yourself by logging onto www.wrestlebritain.co.uk.

Reading this column though really got me thinking - wouldn't it be great if one of the WAW stars began to write on the Internet on a regular basis? If truth be known, I have been nagging a certain woman to do just this, and given that a certain other man has been known to put pen to paper a few times, perhaps now is the time to unleash the writing talent of the WAW superstars onto the Internet world.

While I will admit that the WAW Awards Night a couple of weeks ago went down a storm, I would like to comment on my recent award. The Union Jack Internet fanzine recently named me the biggest ass kisser in British wrestling. In response to this, I say - thank you.

I've been writing about wrestling for four years now, and on the Internet for nearly two, and this is only the second award I have won. Last year, Powerbomb Wrestling News, a now defunct newsletter, gave me their Columnist of the Year award.

This award just goes to show that I am really doing my job. But really, let's examine why this fellow said what he said. He said it because I said the Zebra Kid was a good wrestler. What's wrong with that?

In his recent Interview with the Zebra Kid, Greg Lambert said that the Zebra Kid was the best kept secret in British wrestling. Scott Conway, who should know a thing or two, also said that he was one of the most underrated wrestlers in the country right now. On TalkSport, Robbie Brookside rated him as one of the three best wrestlers in the country. I agree with all of these  sentiments one hundred percent.

Let's look at it from this point of view. Let's look at possibly one of the most hyped wrestlers in the country today - Doug Williams.

Before I had even seen Doug wrestle, no matter what British wrestling website I logged onto, all I would read is how great a wrestler Doug Williams is. The hype he gets is tremendous, and when I first saw him wrestle, I thought that the hype was justified. Doug is a good wrestler. His match with Eddie Guerrero at Revival a few months back was probably the match of the night.

But let's reverse the positions here a little. Let's put, hype wise, the Zebra Kid where Doug was a year ago, and vice versa. Let's say that every time I logged onto a British wrestling website, all I would read is how great a wrestler the Zebra Kid is. If I, and thousands of others read this, day after day, week after week, month after month, then we would probably all believe it, and once we had seen him on video or in person, we would literally rant and rave about how good he is.

Yet, at the same time, if Doug had received no hype, and I had written in one of my reviews that I thought Doug Williams was a good wrestler, I probably would have still been called an ass kisser.

So let's put this into perspective here. Doug Williams is a good wrestler, and everyone, including people who have never seen him wrestle, also say he is a good wrestler, because of all the publicity he gets. Yet if the Zebra Kid received the same amount of publicity, then everyone would be raving about him as well, and I probably wouldn't have been called an ass kisser!

Let's move onto some other comments regarding yours truly. A short while back, Adam Mumford accused me of rigging the vote on The Wrestling Alliance's website, so that Ricky Knight and the Sweet Saraya were, at the time, winning their respective categories. What a complete load of bollocks!

If truth be known, I have only been on the TWA website twice since March, and that was mainly to thank Scott Conway for letting me attend their show at the Ipswich Corn Exchange. With my workload both at the shop and for WAW, I just didn't have the time.

But what really got me was the fact that Adam and his cohorts seemed to think that perhaps I was the only person in this country who actually like them?

I approached Aaron Spencer about this (don't get me started on this man!), and put forward the idea that Ricky and Saraya might actually have some fans. Aaron couldn't understand why, because, in his opinion, both are shit.

For me, this is all just a matter of opinion. This column is merely my opinion. Whether you agree with it or not is up to you. But Adam and Aaron simply couldn't understand that wrestling fans in this country might actually rate Ricky and Saraya, that they do have fans. Just because they don't like them, doesn't mean that other fans might. I would rather watch a Ricky Knight promo than some of the crap we get on Sky Sports right now.

In case you're wondering, about the second time since March, when I visited the TWA website? Yes, I did vote for Ricky and Saraya.

Now onto Jack Halewood. Who? Let me explain. Young Jack is a wrestling fan, but a fan of a certain type of wrestling, the non sports entertainment variety. Jack is very vocal in his apparent hatred of British wrestling.

Recently, Jack wrote a series of columns for Adam Mumford's Wrestle Britain. Adam does do a damn good job promoting British wrestling, but really screwed up by giving Jack a job. Why? In his last column for Wrestle Britain, Jack began his column by saying that "British wrestling fans are fucking idiots", or words to that effect.

This got me thinking that if Wrestle Britain was meant to promote British Wrestling, then having Jack Halewood on their site was a big mistake, and I told Adam this. Several others did also.

The thing that really amuses me about Jack is that he always tells people how much he hates British wrestling, how much he detests it, yet seems to spend the majority of his time logging onto British wrestling websites. Anyone see anything wrong with this? Hey, I can't stand Ronan Keating, but I don't spend every waking moment logging onto his website, and telling everyone I know how much I detest the Irish twat.

Want to know the really ironic thing here? Jack is going to train to become a wrestler soon, under the guidance of Chic Cullen. I have to admit it's tempting to telephone Mr. Cullen, to let him know what he's letting him in for. It's a pity Jack doesn't live in this neck of the woods, because I know a few people who could teach him the error of his ways.

So let's move on to everyone's favourite promotion, the WWF. Okay, I know you're going to tell me they're the WWE now, but they've been the WWF for years, and I'm too old to change my ways now. So instead of saying get the F out, I say shut the F up.

I haven't written about the American scene for a while now, so here goes. I am seriously beginning to lose interest in the WWF. I really am.

The entire product, once one of the most watched forms of entertainment on American cable television, is in dire need of something. It just doesn't get my pulse racing any more, in the way it did four years ago.

This brand extension thing was meant to be some sort of rebirth for the entire company, but something just seems to have gone wrong. In house attendances are down. Television ratings are down.

So what the hell is going wrong with them? Why are we all losing interest? A lack of competition.

I am really missing WCW. I never thought I would say such a thing, but I really am. At least when we had the "big two", they would watch each others show, see something that was really good, and then try to think of a way to match that the following week.

Now what competition does Vince McMahon have? None! He controls almost everything on the US wrestling scene right now, and his virtual monopoly is doing nothing but harm to the overall product. Rumour has it that he has asked some of his mid and low carders to take a cut in pay. Whereas before, these people could have offered their services to WCW, in order to keep the same level of payment, now, they have no choice but to accept this pay cut, because they have no where else to go.

Apart from the Cruiserweight division on Smackdown, nothing really excites me about the WWF any more, and loathe that I am to say this, Vince McMahon needs one man to shake things up a little, one man who could get things going better than the New World Order did, better than Hulk Hogan could - GOLDBERG.

Bill Goldberg, he of the truly awful biography, recently accepted a buyout on his AOL/Time Warner contract, and, so we are being led to believe, is in talks with Vince McMahon about entering the WWF.

Goldberg may only be a three move pony, but he has drawing power. A few years back, wrestling fans wanted nothing more than to see a Goldberg v Stone Cold series. If this did happen, not only could it rekindle the fans passion for the WWF, but also Austin's as well.

It's either that, or perhaps they should hook up with WAW in some way.

Oh well, as old Drew mentions other things in his column, I may as well.

France are still my pick for the World Cup, despite their cock-up against Senegal. It's obvious they were missing Zidane. Once he's fit and firing on all cylinders, there's no holding them back.

Is it me, or is Big Brother just not as exciting this year? There just doesn't seem to be any really strong personalities in the house this time around. Year one, we had the likes of Nasty Nick, Caroline and her awful laugh, and Anna the singing lesbian nun. Year two we had everyone's favourite gay boy Brian, thick as shit Paul, and Welsh bimbo Helen. Year three we have.....well.....sulkySunita......and....erm....stuff this. Kate should win, just because she's the most shaggable.

Rammstein made it into the top 40 with Ich Will. About bloody time!

Will Young does a cover of "Light My Fire". Jim Morrison must be turning in his grave.

Screw you Mark Edwards!

Stuff this. It's pissing down with rain outside, and I've got to take the dog to the vet. See you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment