Monday 31 December 2001

Random Ramblings March Part 2

Well, I'm going to say it, so let's get it out of the way! ALL HAIL LSD! LSD RULES! No, before you ask, I'm not on some sixties drug trip.

You see, I was as pleased and surprised as everyone to hear that my favourite Dudley of all, Little Spike, had joined the ranks of the WWF. Since the first time I saw Spike, I've had a soft spot for him. It's probably because that Spike is roughly the same height and weight as me, and in a wrestling world seemingly dominated by men in excess of 200 pounds and standing over six feet tall, Spike seemed like a breath of fresh air.

In all probability, we will see a Big Show v Spike match sometime in the future. There is no doubt that this will happen. But in my opinion, Spike would make a great light-heavyweight champion. But given Jim Ross' recent comments about that division, that will never happen.

Seeing Spike compete on Smackdown was a sight to behold. As soon as he tagged into the match, the crowd seemed to go wild. And when Rhyno tagged in, apart from the larger crowd, it was like watching ECW all over again.

I don't know if this match has been announced yet, but wouldn't Spike v Rhyno at Wrestlemania be a great addition?

And as far as Wrestlemania goes, I am now starting to get a little exicited about things. All in all, it does seem a better card than last year. I've said it before, so I may as well say it again - last year's event was a big let down. I probably won't be watching this year's one live, due to work commitments, but I'll probably be watching it Monday night. So if you are expecting me to e-mail or telephone you next Monday, forget it.

Well, let's get to the point. Uncle Vince buys out Uncle Ted. Some people, Bret Hart and Chris Jericho among them, have expressed their concerns.

To be honest, I wasn't going to watch the last Nitro. I may give it a look now, at least the video of it anyway. I'd still rather watch Raw at the moment.

The list of names the WWF is taking on from WCW is rather intriguing though, in the fact that it doesn't include World Champion Scott Steiner or US Champion Booker T. I know this is early days, but this does seem odd.

I was also intrigued to see Shawn Stasiak's name on the list of those kept on. We all know what happened, the reasons he was fired from the WWF. It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall for his next meeting with Vince McMahon. But then again, I wouldn't have to be. I'm sure Shawn can supply me with a tape of the conversation.

But now that Uncle Vince is moving Nitro to TNN, we UK wrestling fans have to be wondering if we are still going to be able to see WCW in this country, and, for that matter, will we finally see WCW pay-per-views. Will Bravo still show Nitro, and still insist on putting it on the same time as Raw, therefore hurting their own ratings in the process.

I think that given the long-standing relationship between Sky and the WWF, all WCW-related programs will eventually end up on Sky.

So maybe I'll start a campaign here, for UK wrestling fans. If you want to see the WCW(WWF) shows on Sky, here's a couple of e-mail addresses for you.

Sky Teletext TV letters page; letters@bskyb.com
Sky Teletext WWF page; production@bskyb.com

As far as I know these e-mail addresses are correct. It would be interesting to hear what sort of response we get from Sky.

Finally, I would like to make a comment on WCW's web site, and in particular, their feedback section. They put up an address (feedback@wcw.com) asking fans to give their views on their situation, pre-WWF. Many of you probably saw the letter I sent in, which was published in The Chokeslam and my own newsletter. I won't say exactly what I said. All I will say is that I wasn't exactly complimentary.

I checked back over the next few days, and guess what? They didn't put it up. The only feedback they had on their pages were ones basically saying "ooh, we're so sad that WCW is closing down." There was not one e-mail offering any form of negative feedback.

To be honest, I wasn't surprised they didn't put my letter up. In their last days under Time Warner, they did what they always did - stuck their heads in the sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment