Monday 31 December 2001

Backyard Feedback

Some of you may recall that a few weeks ago, I wrote a column regarding a backyard wrestling federation, East Norfolk Backyard Wrestling. In this column I wrote about how I didn't exactly like what they did, and how backyard wrestling, in general, didn't really appeal to me.

It was shortly afterwards that I decided to do something that I had never done before, and put my column up for open debate. To that end, I posted that very column on the ENBW website message board, inviting people to give their views.

I also invited several others in the industry to offer their views on backyard wrestling. What you are about to read are some of the better responses I had to my little debate;

"Roadkill", (real name unknown) is a backyard wrestler who runs his own fed. He says;
Actually, one time I did go through a window for the sheer hell of it, (dropkick) leaving glass in my thigh and upper arm. oh yeah, and the DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME shit, they (the WWF) have always said that.Foley got famous by his infamous backyard leap from his garage (which I have proudly copied) and the Hardy Boyz (the greatest men to ever venture in to a ring) with their homemade backyard ring made from woodstumps and the like, so don't give me that crap about trying it at home, cos it worked for them. And even if it doesn't work for me, I love going through wood and jumping 10ft+ so I'm gonna keep doing it injuries or no injuries!

"Jackhammer" is another backyard wrestler. He says;
I agree roadkill. It pisses me off when people give backyard a bad name. Fact is people dont like old skool anymore, hardcore and extreme is taking over, and the toughest people are those doing moves on solid grass with no padding and getting hurt grazes,broken arms and loss of blood!. I feed upon it, its become a hobbie, an obsession and if that guy dont like hit then he can suck Knighty's (Ricky Knight, owner of WAW) cock along with the stupid WAW, WOW AND ####ING FWA! Put them in the backyard and these guys would not last 5 minutes let alone a 1hr iron man match

"Wyldstyle" is alsoa backyard wrestler. He offers a different view, saying;
The dude does have a point....backyard wrestlers that try to be as hardcore as possible give us a bad name. No one gives a shit how tough you are....this is WRESTLING....a wrestling match comprises of WRESTLING moves. Sure you can put a great hardcore spot in here
and there...but you are not supposed to get hurt...thats the whole point of wrestling..doing these amazing things without killing yourself. I know you are proud ofbumping on the ground..well guess what...PROFESSIONALS BUMP IN A RING....it doesnt impress me one bit that you are stupid enough to brag of grazes and the like....I'd rather see a backdrop driver than some talentless kid who can't wrestle a bit get cut to prove how tough he is.YOU give backyard a bad name. Theres feds out there...ENBA, EBW, YWF that wrestle like pros....suplex combinations..move innovations that just make ya go "DAMN!" Sure they do hardcore.....but they do it safely..yet still looking phenominal....grow up and start WRESTLING kid.

Jerry, of "Rounding The Squared Circle" fame, is one of the Internet's most respected writers. He viewed the ENBW website (at my request), and offered the following view;

I looked at the Site and it confirmed my suspicions: another group of crazy kids looking to break their necks. I am dead set against this type of thing. As you know I am suffering from injuries I received years ago in a supervised sport, with proper protective gear. These kids are a time bomb waiting to go off. One wrong move and a broken neck - death or a life of paralysis (a fate worse than death).

Tony Giordano is one of the website masters of Pro Wrestling Columns, one of the most respected wrestling sites currently on the Internet. His view is;
From the images and stories I have seen about backyard wrestling, I have grown to dislike it.  These guys are untrained amateurs and are risking serious injury to themselves and others by performing this stuff in homemade rings or out in the open.  If these guys are so intent on wanting to become a wrestler and/or getting involved in the business, then, in my opinion, they should save some money, go to a local wrestling school and receive the proper, professional training.  I often see these backyard wrestlers doing foolish and highly dangerous stuff that can not only get them killed or permanently injured, but stuff that, in my opinion, opens the door for professional wrestling critics to bash the industry these guys are said to be honoring and praising.

However, that does not necessarily mean I will stop it.  As much as I may dislike backyard wrestling, it is not my job to be that person; it is the job of the parents, since most of these guys that do this stuff are late teens and early adults.  From what I have seen in the stories and articles about backyard wrestling, there are parents who seem to allow their kids to do this, and at times help promote their own matches and shows.  Some have even gone as far as to say that this stuff has kept their kids from doing drugs and getting involved in gangs, while allowing them to do something they enjoy.  So, if the parents are wanting to do this, then itbecomes their responsibility.  As for me, I wish that these guys would get a clue, get the proper training, and stop trying to mutilate one another in the effort to become the next Mick Foley.

"Rizo182" is a backyard wrestler who will soon be undertaking pro wrestling training. He says;
Hello,after reading your messages posted on the ENBW forum,I would like to e-mail you and disagree with your comments,your messages do make worthwhile points,how people can injure each other needlessly,etc.

Well,the truth be told is that backyard wrestling is fun,and there is not alot of things in life which are fun anymore,wrestling is a 2bit system,its either loved or hated,I myself am ridiculed at school for backyard wrestling,but by some kids our federation is loved.

It can  keep you out of drugs,and keep you occupied,out of mischeif and all the other stuff that goes around,and as also stated in responses to your message on the forum,can open the door to pro wrestling.

Par example,I have been considered good enough to join a new fed which will occur in 2004,the HCW,which will just be like WAW,FWA,etc:and they will use a ring,etc:but everyone there will have backyard experience aswell as training.

Also, (James)Weston is considered the top backyard wrestling technical talent in the UK,keyword there-Technical,not extreme,not hardcore,technical,to be honest,and no disrespect to Weston,but I have not seen him do anything remotely hardcore,but I have seen him do excellent technical.

Danny Smith is the 16 year old nephew of WAW wrestler Steve Quintain. Danny's uncle will soon begin to train him as a
pro wrestler. Danny writes;
Personaly as a relation of a highly trained wrestler I find these actions rather disgusting. I have been watching my uncle (a ring veteran of 25 years) wrestle since I was 5 years old and consider wrestling as my "life",I love the sport and while being trained by my uncle I hope to make the big time,although there is always the aspect of injury or death (Owen Hart) in pro wrestling I would never dream of putting my body and or more importantly my life at risk with a back yard wrestling organisation.So please boys leave the ruff stuff to the pro's.

Shannon Rose is a wrestling agent and site owner of Pro Wrestling Daily. He has been associated with pro wrestling in one shape or form for many years. He says;
My view is that backyard wrestling should be outlawed.

It not only can cause injuries from kids not being trained correctly but also gives children an idea they can do these moves on other children (maybe even much young than them) causing injury or even death.

Finally, James Weston is the 18 year old owner of ENBW. His comments are;
Ok, as people may or may not know, I run East Norfolk Backyard Wrestling. When we first started ENBW we always knew critism was going to be a major factor, but we have overcome that worry, we're not nihilistic youths, the "we don't give a damn!" teens. We're doing something we enjoy. Personally, I don't enjoy the Hardcore wrestling which is why you will never see me in a hardcore match. It's up to the person involved whether they like it or not. Some guys in ENBW like hardcore and want to partcipate in a hardcore match, that's fine, it's up to them, but I have set limits on what can be done, and EVERY ENBW wrestler respects the limits. Recently blading has been banned as we mutually agreed it is simply not safe.


Julian, I accept all your notions and comments and I agree with you, yeah we may be stupid for doing this but we enjoy it, and will continue doing so. To be honest I am quite flattered that you are concerned for our saftey, but I Suppose that is a humane reaction to seeing what you don't like. You are not the first person to critisice us you won't be the last. We enjoy BYW, you don't. That's the fact.

The biggest misconception people do have about ENBW however is that we are ignorant youths, uncaring for ours and others safety trying to get into the wrestling business. We ARE NOT trying to get into the wrestling business, we are in Great Britain, passion for wrestling just won't pay off, there is no chance of a decent job so why bother paying for training if we aren't going to look for pro wrestling employment? The truth is we are only concerned about one thing...EDUCATION. I myself will be attending University next year as will Big D and the rest will be taking up AS levels etc in colleges.

To close, we may be lacking of common sense and sense of morality even, but we are doing something that is saftey regulated (the stunts we have available don't get much bigger than what you will see on our clips, we enjoy and are primarilly doing as a hobby and nothing else. We don't play football, Rugby, we don't go to swimming, boxing karate clubs. We Backyard Wrestle.

It would seem that my column caused a great deal of debate in some quarters of the backyard wrestling industry here in Britain, and, when put together with the other views I sought, it provided me with a very intelligent, thought provoking debate.

The general view after this is that in many quarters, backyard wrestling is considered a bad thing, and if people want to take part in wrestling, professional wrestling, they should look for a proper training school.

While I admit that backyard wrestling isn't exactly my cup of tea, I will say this - I said to "Roadkill" in an IM conversation earlier today, that if these people want to go around and try to kill themselves, who am I to try and stop them?

I would like to thank all of those who offered their views in my little exercise here, but to especially James Weston, and Adam and Danny Yarco, who offered their thoughts and views in a respectful and intelligent way.

And while on thesubject of this "intelligent debate", I received this email today, from an unknown source, regarding my views on backyard wrestling. The line in the subject box read; "You are a Dickhead." The email said; Leave BYW alone, its a great thing and people like u undermine such a great extreme sport!

To which I replied -"at least if you're going to insult me, please tell me who you are!"

Ah well, guess you can't have an intelligent conversation all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment