Sunday 31 December 2000

My First Daily Smackdown Column

Welcome to the inaugural edition of The Two Sheds Review, here in the hallowed pages of the Daily Smackdown Newsletter. Some of you may know me from my work on various wrestling fanzines and newsletters, so to all of you, I say hello!

To those who don't know me, and are probably wondering who the hell this guy is - well you're probably really wondering where the f#+k am I going to get some bloody petrol at the moment - let me tell you a little bit about myself. I am 28 years old, and I have been watching wrestling for as long as I can remember.

My wrestling viewing dates back to the days of Kendo Nagasaki and Big Daddy. Yes, my memory is that long! I've probably been writing for nearly as long, having been encouraged to do so first by my late mother, and then, in latter years, by my brother Paul.

However, it has only been in the past couple of years that I have been writing about wrestling, and after years of writing various science fiction and fantasy stories, it is my wrestling work which has finally been published. It is my hope that in these columns I will be able to air my views and thoughts on the world of professional wrestling, and hopefully provide some entertainment for you, the reader.

Now, I know one of my fellow columnists wil probably slag me of for doing this, but I will probably end up writing about the WWF the majority of the time. The reason for this is simple - the WWF is my favourite federation. It has been since I first started watching it seriously in 1989. I watch WCW, but like many others, I don't think they can hold a torch to the WWF at all these days. I hardly ever watch Nitro or Thunder these days, and to be perfectly honest with you, I don't think even Sir Vince of Russo could do anything to help them out now. And ECW? Well, I'm afraid the jury is still out on this one. The lack of PPVs and unedited programming here in Britain makes it hard for me to form a really credible (no offence Justin) on Heymanland. Okay, I find much of what they do entertaining, and I think that Justin Credible and RVD are two of the top performers in wrestling today, but I would really like to see more on British screens.

So there you have it. I hope to spend many months (or as long as David will have me) using DSD as a platform, hoping that it will perhaps, a very big perhaps, get me that writing job I've always wanted!

But before I go, you're probably asking yourself - why The Two Sheds Review? Why that name? Some of you older people (or students) will be correct in the assumption that it has a connection to Monty Python. It also has a connection to the WWF Attitude PSX game. Hope this answers your question. So, once a week, or maybe more, if David allows this, The TSR (hey, this sounds catchy!) will be on the screen before you. I hope you enjoy what you see, and I welcome your feedback.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment