Thursday 19 May 1994

A Leap Too Far - Chapter Two

Watt stood alone in the waiting room. His mind seemed to be working overtime trying to figure out where he was and what he was doing there. Then the doorway opened again and Al stepped through. Pressing a button on his device the door closed again. Al stared at Watt for a few seconds.
    “You again.” said Watt. “Perhaps now you’ll tell me what I’m doing here, and, for that matter, where I am.”
    Al walked over to Watt.
    “This may seem like a stupid question, but what were you doing before you came here?”

    “What?” said Watt. “Before I answer any of your questions I think you should answer mine.”
    Al began to rub his face. It seemed as if he did not know what to say.
    “You probably wouldn’t believe me if I told you.” he said. “Well, here goes. You are at the base of operations for Project Quantum Leap in the year 1999.”
    A smile appeared on Watt’s face.
    “Project Quantum Leap!” he said. “That explains everything! Well, almost. I remember reading about this project, how Dr. Beckett was able to travel in time throughout his own lifetime. That explains everything. How I’ve..”
    Watt stopped in mid-sentence. Al was confused.
    “You know why you’ve come here?” he said.
    “There are some things best left unknown.” said Watt.
    Watt walked over to the sofa and sat down.
    “Now I recognise you.” he said. “Admiral Calevicchi. I know a relative of yours.”
    “I hope he’s good looking.” said Al. “But can we get on with the business at hand? What were you doing before you came here?”
    “The Valkyrie was on a rendezvous with a Monstron vessel.” replied Watt. “To negotiate the release of some prisoners, with a view to a possible prisoner exchange. The Monstrons had asked to speak to me specifically. They wouldn’t speak to anyone else.”
    “Oh boy. So there’s no chance of anyone else talking to these ‘Monstrons’ instead of you…I mean Sam?”
    “They will speak only to me.”
    “Then Sam is in trouble.”

    Beckett sat at the desk in the ready room studying the personnel files that Magus had accessed for him. He seemed very impressed by ‘his’ accomplishments. He had also spent the time studying the files on his senior officers. He was most impressed. A few seconds later the doorway from the waiting room opened and Al stepped through.
    “Al, I’m glad you’re here.” he said. “You should see the files on some of these guys. The navy would kill to get some of these guys.”
    “Including the green one?” said Al.
    “How did you know about Counsellor Trospheo?” asked Beckett.
    “Who?” said Al. “Anyway, I talked to this Watt guy and you’re not gonna like this. Apparently he was about to start some negotiations with these aliens, Monstrons I think he called them, about something to do with some prisoners or something.”
    “You mean these aliens are holding some Earthmen? Why couldn’t someone else talk to them?”
    “Because they will speak only to you…I mean Captain Watt.”
    “And they won’t speak to anyone else?”
    “Not even Terry Waite, if he was alive in this century that is.”
    Beckett got up from his chair and walked over to the replicator.
    “Look at this Al.” he said. “Coffee, black, no sugar.”
    The replicator came to life, and a few seconds later a cup of black coffee could be seen.
    “From what I can make out it transforms energy into matter somehow.” said Beckett.
    “Sam, will you quit studying all of this?” said Al. “We got a big problem here, and you’re acting like a kid in the toy department!”
    The door buzzer then sounded.
    “Come in.”
    The door opened and Magus entered.
    “The Monstrons are beginning to get a bit annoyed Captain.” he said. “They’re waiting for your call.”
    “I’ll be along in a minute Magus.” said Beckett. “Can you wait for me on the bridge?”
    Magus nodded and left the room. As soon as the door closed Beckett turned to Al.
    “As far as I can see I don’t have a problem.” said Beckett. “I’ve studied the relevant files, and I’m getting a bit of help.”
    Beckett smiled as he looked towards the door.
    “You mean that old coot?” said Al.
    “I would hardly refer to Doctor Phineas Magus as an old coot.” said Beckett. “He is one of the most powerful men in the known universe.”
    Beckett walked towards the door.
    “So you’re seriously going through with this thing?” said Al.
    “I was sent here to do a job.” replied Beckett. “And I’m going to do this!”
    The door opened and Beckett walked onto the bridge.
    “You’re crazy!” Al shouted.
    The door to the waiting room opened and Al stepped through as the ready room door closed behind Beckett.
    Beckett stood just in front of the door, looking around at the bridge. He looked toward the tactical position where Lt. Amarus was standing.
    “Ah, Lieutenant Amarus, please contact the Monstron ship.” he said.
    As Beckett walked towards the helm stations Amarus opened a hailing channel.
    “Channel open.” said Amarus.
    An image of a Monstron Franken Colonel appeared on the screen. A rye smile appeared on his face.
    “This is Colonel Karloff of the Monstron vessel Lycan. It is good to speak to you again Captain Watt.”
    “As it is to you, Colonel.” said Beckett. “I understand we have a mutual problem, one that requires some discussion.”
    “We do.” said Karloff. “We are holding some of your officers, but you are holding some of ours.”
    Beckett paused for a moment, as if he did not know what to do. Magus then approached him and whispered to Beckett.
    “Arrange a meeting on this vessel for fifteen minutes time.” he said. “Then arrive in the observation lounge thirty minutes later. The Monstrons are a most impatient race. When they are angry and annoyed they can be caught off guard.”
    Magus returned to his seat.
    “Colonel Karloff, perhaps you and your first officer would like to join me here aboard the Valkyrie to discuss our problem. Can we meet in say…fifteen minutes?”
    “That time would be agreeable.” said Karloff. “But be warned, any trickery of any kind could result in your destruction, and perhaps a war.”
    “War is the thing I want to avoid most.” said Beckett. “Valkyrie out.”
    The screen went blank. Beckett turned toward Magus.
    “No trickery.” he said. “I hope you know what you’re doing Magus.”

    It was thirty minutes later when Beckett, Pendragon and Magus arrived in the observation lounge. Colonel Karloff sat at the head of the table. Two other Monstrons sat either side of him. Karloff got to his feet.
    “Why have you kept me waiting for so long?” he boomed. “You agreed to meet me at a set time aboard your vessel and you have kept me waiting.”
    “I told you so!” whispered Magus.
    “Colonel Karloff, I am sorry for any delay. I was detained on ship’s business. May I introduce my first officer, Commander Pendragon, and the diplomatic attaché, Ambassador Phineas Magus.”
    Karloff stared long and hard at Beckett and re-took his seat a few seconds later.
    “Your apology is accept. I introduce to you my first officer, Lieutenant-Colonel Lee, and my second officer, Major Cushing.”
    The two Frankens bowed their heads towards Beckett as a sort of greeting. Beckett then took his seat at the other end of the table, with Pendragon and Magus sat either side of him.
    “Well Colonel.” started Beckett. “It appears we have a bit of a problem. You have something we want, and we, in turn, have something you want.”
    “If you are referring to the prisoners then you are correct Captain.” said Karloff. “Your officers were captured trying to enter Monstron territory without clearance.”
    “As were your officers from what I can tell.” said Beckett. “Only they were entering our territory.”
    “That is not true.” said Karloff. “Our shuttle craft has suffered a malfunction to the guidance and sensor systems. We were taken off course.”
    “We, Colonel? From the way you are talking it sounds like that you were on that shuttle, but the records show only two Monstrons were taken, and they were wearing the uniforms of a Lieutenant and a Lieutenant-Colonel. The record makes no mention of a Monstron Colonel.”
    Karloff paused for a moment. He then conferred with Major Cushing.
    “You have no proof I was on the shuttle craft.”
    “But you just spoke as if you were.” said Beckett.
    “But let us remember the Starfleet officers who were captured in Monstron territory.”
    “Whose recording instruments show they were carrying out a geological survey on a border zone planet, a planet, I might add, which is in neutral territory.” said Beckett. “And a planet we had contacted the Monstron Council about, with a view to possibly setting up a colony on.”
    “You mean a starbase, Captain. A starbase with which you could have launched an attack on the Monstron Empire from.”
    Beckett got to his feet and approached Karloff. Pendragon then leaned to wards Magus.
    “This isn’t the Captain James Watt I know.” said Pendragon.
    “Maybe you are mistaken.” said Magus. “He does seem on top form today however.”
    Beckett neared Karloff.
    “I mean a colony, Colonel.” he continued. “Which would have been declared an open city for both Federation and Monstrons. An open city in which all weapons would and have been barred, and where there would be no hostilities. It may come as a surprise to you Colonel but Starfleet Command is not interested in war with any parties. Starfleet’s mission has always been one of peace.”
    “Humans have always shown themselves to be aggressive.” said Karloff.
    “And Monstrons aren’t, I suppose?” replied Beckett. “Tell me Colonel, why did you ask to speak to me and not any other Starfleet captain? Why me?”
    Karloff paused yet again. Then Lee spoke.
    “You are well known and respected among the Monstron High Council members.” he said. “As are the men and women who serve under your command.”
    Karloff gave Lee and icy stare.
    “You speak only when you are told to.” he said.
     Beckett returned to his seat.
    “I suggest Colonel  that you return to your ship and consult your senior officers.” he said. “I believe that somewhere along the line you have received some bad information. I think it would be wise if you consulted them on this matter. We will meet again in two hours.”
    Beckett got to his feet and walked towards the door. Pendragon and Magus followed. They left without saying another word to Karloff. The Monstron seemed outraged.
    “They seem to have us over the proverbial barrel, sir.” said Lee.
    “I agree.” said Cushing. “I don’t think we have any choice.”
    “I am in command.” said Karloff. “I will decide on our next course of action. When we return to the ship contact the Monstron home world. I must speak to the Council on this matter.”

No comments:

Post a Comment