Saturday 16 April 1994

The Lycanthrope - Chapter Four

Watt walked along the corridors of the Valkyrie. A few minutes later he entered Sickbay. The first thing he saw was Magus standing near the examination table, and Talbot lying on it. Watt approached Magus.
    “Isn’t it about time you told me what went on down there?” said Watt.
    “Lycanthropy.” replied Magus. “Lieutenant Talbot is a lycanthrope.”
    “And responsible for the death of two of my crewmen.” said Watt. “Commander Lom has told me that you have requested more power for the replicators. Why?”
    “Because I believe I may be able to cure Mr. Talbot.”
    “Cure? How?”

    “Just over four hundred years ago a similar case was cured by using a type of fungus spore. The patient made a full recovery. I need the replicators to produce enough of the spores to cure Talbot.”
    “You realise that if you cure him he’ll face a court martial for those murders?”
    “I am sure that Mr. Talbot would be willing to face such a hearing. And I myself would be willing to testify on his behalf. I might even defend him!”
    Watt began to stroke his chin.
    “How much time would you need?”
    “Only a few hours.”
    “Commander Lom should be able to divert power from the warp engines. I just don’t know how I’m going to write my report on this one.”
    Watt then left Sickbay. It was then that Magus began his work, programming the formula into the replicator. It took some time but he eventually got it. While this went on the Valkyrie left orbit on impulse power, heading towards the nearest starbase.
    Power was diverted from the warp engines to the replicators, and Magus began the long process of producing enough spores to treat Talbot, who had been held in stasis since he was brought back on board. The treatment took some five hours, but Magus would need more time than that to see if the treatment was successful.

    It was one week later when magus entered the medical facility on Starbase 22. He soon found the patient he was looking for - Lieutenant Talbot. Talbot was sitting up in bed. There was no reaction from him as Magus approached him.
    “Good evening Mr. Talbot.”
    Talbot did not reply.
    “Come now, Mr. Talbot. I’m sure the food in this hospital isn’t that bad.”
    Talbot stared at Magus.
    “Why have you brought me here?” he asked. “The full moon is tonight on this planet. You’ll know what will happen!”
    “Are you sure, Lieutenant? I told you the treatment I used for you was used successfully a few hundred years ago.”
    Magus pulled back Talbot’s bed clothes. He then pulled Talbot to his feet.
    “What are you doing?” Talbot screamed.
    “I’m proving a point.”
    Magus led Talbot to the door. He then led Talbot out onto the balcony.
    “As far as I know the only other cures for lycanthropy result in the death of the subject.” said Magus. “This cure, although only used once before, is successful. Look up into the sky, Mr. Talbot. Gaze at the full moon.”
    Talbot turned his head away from the sky.
    “Have faith, Lawrence. The curse is gone. You are a mere mortal once again.”
    Magus placed his hand on Talbot’s head and turned his head so he faced the sky. Talbot began to shake like a leaf. It was as if the fear of God had been put into him. The clouds in the sky began to clear to reveal the full moon. Talbot began to scream. He covered his face with his arm and waited for the transformation from man to werewolf to begin. He waited, and waited, and waited. Slowly he began to lower his arm and stare up at the moon. After a few seconds his arm was by his side. A smile began to appear on his face. He turned round and faced Magus.
    “What happened? Why haven’t I changed?”
    “Because I have cured you of your curse, Mr. Talbot. But I’m afraid you must still face the consequences of your actions while you were in the werewolf form.”
    Talbot walked slowly back into the room.
    “I’ll be thrown in prison for fifty years.”
    Magus placed his hand on Talbot’s shoulder.
    “Do not worry, Mr. Talbot. During the past week I have been working on your defence. I believe I may be able to save you.”
    Talbot again turned to face Magus.
    “I can’t afford any lawyers.”
    “I will work for free. Believe me Lawrence, I will do my best to save you and your career, but I can only do so if you have faith. There is no point in my defending you if you have given up all hope.”
    Talbot looked up at Magus.
    “Until a few years ago Starfleet was my life, it was all I lived for. If I can salvage ant of that then I’ll do it.”
    Magus smiled.
    “Your career is worth saving, Mr. Talbot. You’ll have the best defence in the known universe.”
    The two then shook hands, and Magus set about the task of resurrecting a once promising career.



No comments:

Post a Comment