Friday 8 April 1994

The Iron Man - Chapter One

James Watt walked down the corridors of the Anglo-Force mansion. The solemn mood he felt was also felt all over the mansion. To the original members of the group it seemed like the end of an era.
    Watt stopped when he came to a door. He raised his hand and was just about to knock on the door when he heard a voice.
    “Come in James. I’ve been expecting you.”
    Watt opened the door and entered. The first thing he saw was Magus standing over a large trunk. The wizard was hurrying all over the room, packing things into the trunk.

    “I’m nearly packed.” said Magus. “Just a few more things.”
    Watt gazed around the room. It resembled Magus’ study at Craigmillar Castle.
    “This place won’t seem the same without you.” said Watt. “You still haven’t told me why you’re leaving.”
    “I cannot tell you much. All I can say is that the next few months will not only be crucial to myself but the other members of the Istari. The next few months could determine what happens in the next thousand years.”
    “This all sounds a bit too heavy for me.” said Watt. “I just hop we’ll still see you now and then.”
    Magus approached Watt. He placed his hand on his shoulder.
    “I will always be a part of you, and you a part of me. You’ve come far in the time we’ve known each other. You can do well without me.”
    Magus walked over to his trunk and closed it.
    “Well James, I’ll be off now.”
    “Where can I contact you?”
    “You won’t be able to. No one will.”
    Magus raised his hand, and a slight glow appeared around himself and the trunk.
    “Keep well James, and good luck to you and Anglo-Force!”
    A few seconds later Magus was gone. The room then began to shimmer as it reverted to it’s old surroundings. Watt looked around the room. A feeling of great sadness passed over him.
    “See you later, Magus.”

    The United Nations security teams moved through the barren roads of Sylvania, nearing the hills around Castle Oklev. Heading the team was Brigadier Alistair Lethbridge-Stewart, one of the most respected military officers in the world. Also part of the team was Dr. Frank Burns, also a well respected scientist.
    The Brigadier stood on top of the hill, binoculars in hand, looking around the countryside. In the distance he could see the castle. A few minutes later he was joined by Burns.
    “Amazing, isn’t it Doctor?” said the Brigadier. “Just over a hundred years ago Sylvania was one of the richest countries in Eastern Europe. Now look at it, nothing more than a wasteland with not even a single living thing here.”
    Suddenly Burns saw something in the distant landscape. He grabbed the binoculars.
    “It looks like all of Saruman’s forces didn’t flee. Look!”
    The Brigadier looked through the binoculars. What he saw was a hulking green figure wearing a metal helmet and carrying a wooden club.
    “What is  it?” asked the Brigadier.
    “An orc.” replied Burns. “I know of only one other place there orcs exist.”
    “I see something else, something else with him.”
    “It’s probably a goblin. Saruman was known to bring some of his hordes with him from the Time of Legends.”
    “I just hope they stay out of the way so we can get on with our task. Heaven knows what Saruman had horded up in that castle of his.”
    The Brigadier signalled to one of his troops. A few minutes later a rocket-launcher was taken out from one of the transports. Burns looked shocked.
    “Surely you don’t intend on using that thing on the orcs?” he said.
    “If I have to I will.” said the Brigadier. “We have to defend ourselves. Who know what those creatures will do once we get down there.”
    “They’ll do nothing, unless we do first.” said Burns. “Trust me Brigadier. An old friend of mine told me about these things once.”

    The Home Secretary, Simon Kennedy, sat in his chauffer-driven Bentley as he went through the streets of Nottingham. His destination was Nottingham University. He soon reached his destination. The Bentley pulled into the car part. The driver got out and opened the passenger door. Kennedy slowly got out, and with the aid of his walking stick and a pair of callipers he made his way into the research wing. For someone who only a few months ago was in a wheelchair Kennedy was getting around very well.
    As Kennedy walked along to the building he saw the many builders lorries nearly. Part of the building had been almost totally destroyer by Gunner, and it was partly because of this that Kennedy came here.
    Kennedy was soon inside the building. Heated words were spoken as burly-looking builders pushed past him carrying various pieces of building equipment. It was at the end of the corridor that Kennedy saw the man he had come to see - Doctor Daniel Reid.
    “Dr. Reid!” Kennedy called.
    On hearing this Reid turned round to see Kennedy approaching him.
    “Dr. Reid! I’m Simon Kennedy, the Home Secretary. We spoke on the telephone three days ago.”
    “Ah, yes.” said Reid. “What was it you wanted? You said something about using some of my research papers.”
    “If you don’t mind I’d rather talk in private.”
    “My office is in the next building. We can talk there.”
    A few minutes later Kennedy and Reid were seated in the office.
    “So Mr. Kennedy, what part of my work would you like to discuss?”
    “Actually I’m not here to discuss any part of work. I’m here to discuss you your recent encounter with Peter Oswald, the Gunner.”
    Reid got to his feet.
    “I was hoping that someone from your department would come and see me, or perhaps one of my associates, sooner or later.” he said.
    “By associates you mean Paul Solo, or Miles Janicsz, or perhaps Charles Borne?”
    “How do you know about them Mr. Kennedy?”
    “I know many things, Dr. Reid. After all, I used to run around wearing a black and white mask. Anyway, what did you mean?”
    “Your sources probably told you that I, along with Solo, Borne and Janicsz repelled Oswald’s attack. We discovered we could work well together as a unit. It was after that we decided to work together, but then realised that we needed funding from somewhere. I’ve checked out a few old contacts but I’ve had no luck. It seems that I can’t find funding anywhere. Perhaps the government could help.”
    “I’m afraid the government could not afford to fund another group like Anglo-Force.” said Kennedy. “The only reason we are able to at the moment is because of a private investor.”
    “Then that’s our idea gone up in smoke.” said Reid.
    “No necessarily, Dr. Reid. I said that we couldn’t fund another group, but it may be possible to fund you if you were to become part of Anglo-Force.”
    “Are you serious? It would mean up-rooting everything, for all of us.”
    “I don’t think that’s the case, Doctor. Paul Solo recently resigned form the police force because his superiors were against him using his new powers, Charles Borne is just entering his final year, and Miles Janicsz, the Supercop, has just been posted to this country by the C.I.A. I’ve recently been in contact with his superiors and they would be willing to let him join our organisation.”
    Reid started to pace up and down his office.
    “Is this the only way my group could get funding?” he asked.
    “Yes.” said Kennedy.
    “And what does Captain Watt think of your idea?”
    “He doesn’t know yet. I’m going top put forward my idea at our weekly meeting tomorrow. Believe me Doctor, my idea will solve two problems because you are looking for funding and Anglo-Force are looking for new members.”
    Reid continued to pace up and down.
    “What about my work?” he asked. “Would I be able to continue my work, my research?”
    “The Anglo-Force mansion is equipped with two labs. I’m sure Captain Watt would be agreeable.”
    “But you just said you hadn’t told him about your idea.” said Reid. “But I’ll do a deal with you. I’ll give you my answer after Captain Watt gives his.”

No comments:

Post a Comment