Featured post

What Did Anglo-Force Look Like?

I've been playing around with one of those AI art generator things, generating images for some of the old Anglo-Force characters in a ...

Friday 25 November 1994

The New Age - Chapter Thirty-One

    Both the heroes and the Acolytes began to gather outside the Anglo-Force mansion. There was complete silence. They formed a sort of visible aisle in front of Merlin and Gandalf.
    “Now is the point of no return.” said Merlin. “Now is the time you will gain your power. Fuji, Thomas, Alan, Duncan, Nature, we are of the Istari, and we are immortal.”
    “Now is the time of your evolution.” added Gandalf. “Now is the time of your change. Change is always perilous because, if you recall, before the fourth concept of evolution comes the third of structure and restriction.”
    “We chose to challenge restriction when we formed the Istari.” said Merlin. “And today we challenge it again. We will create a new breed of immortals.”
    “To confront peril we trust in the heroic ideal.” said Gandalf. “This universe has many superior beings, many good, many bad. In this universe you must be heroes, for otherwise you will not survive.”
    Merlin held out his arm.
    “We begin with Fuji.”
    “Me?” said Yamanda. “From among all of us you chose me first?”
    “Don’t worry.” said Leacock. “We’ll follow soon.”
    Yamanda stepped forward, and Merlin and Gandalf each placed a hand on his shoulders. Then a glow appeared around them, and soon mystical power began to flow through his body. His smart suit and tie were soon replaced by splendid robes coloured red and white. The Fuji Yamanda that once was no longer existed. The new Fuji Yamanda, a member of the Istari, stood in his place.
    “I feel the power running through my very being.” he said. “I feel as if I have been born anew!”
    He then turned to Merlin and Gandalf.
    “I thank you with all of my heart. You’ll never regret this!”
    Yamanda then stepped back.
    “Thomas, you are next.”
    Leacock stepped forward, and again Merlin and Gandalf placed a hand on his shoulders. The glow appeared around them, and Leacock’s school clothes were soon replaced by robes of blue. Thomas Leacock had been born again. Power he already had was greatly increased. Then Merlin placed his hand on his head and staggered slightly. Fire-Master had to stop the wizard from collapsing.
    “Are you alright?” he asked.
    “I persevere, native of Traxxor.” Merlin replied.
    “But each transformation clearly drains you.” said White Knight.
    “Then we must not be delayed.” said Gandalf. “Alan, you are next.”
    “And about time too.”
    Sear stepped forward, and the transformation was replaced by robes of brown.
    “Power! Power!” he cried. “I feel the power coursing through me!”
    This time Gandalf seemed to stagger.
    “Please Merlin.” said White Knight. “There are medical people here.”
    “Be silent!” Merlin snapped. “We are almost done. Mother Nature, you are next.”
    The former leader of the Black Squadron stepped forward.
    “Save your strength Istarians.” she said. “You need it, I don’t. I already am what I am, and I’m the best there is at what I am.”
    “Then…Duncan.”
    Duncan McCloud stood looking around at all of the heroes. He then looked at his fellow Acolytes, at what they had become. The doubt entered his mind.
    “I can’t. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all you’ve tried to do for me, but I can’t go through with it!”
    “Duncan, we’ve been over this!” said Connor.
    “Leave him alone.” said Magus. “He has the right to change his mind.”
    “I didn’t want to do it from the start.” said Duncan. “I thought my destiny was elsewhere, with the Gathering, but I knew that the Istari were counting on me. I’m sorry Connor, but I can’t go through with it.”
    Merlin and Gandalf looked at McCloud.
    “Although we are disappointed by your decision we will respect your wish.” said Marlin.
    “But isn’t it going to mess up your plan?” asked Duncan.
    “No, we allowed for attrition.” said Gandalf. “Five will suffice.”
    “Five?” said Duncan. “Without me there are only four.”
    Merlin and Gandalf turned to the one person who had not been originally summoned.
    “Rhiannon!”
    Rhiannon was confused.
    “You want me to join the Istari? I can’t! You know I can’t! My destiny, like Duncan McCloud, lies elsewhere. I cannot give up my other duties!”
    Then Rhiannon took to the sky. She was out of view within a few seconds.
    “Should we go after her?” asked Watt.
    “No.” said Merlin. “The time has come.”
    Merlin and Gandalf looked at each other. They now looked older than before.
    “Now our time has come.” said Gandalf. “Our physical forms have become useless to us. We have outlived them.”
    Slowly the two wizards began to fall to the ground. Quickly White Knight tried to fine a pulse on Merlin. He could not. He looked up into the sky.
    Magus then approached him and placed a hand on his shoulder.
    “Look at their bodies Arthur.”
    White Knight looked at the limp forms of the wizards, and he could not believe his eyes. Two spirits,. Astral forms of Merlin and Gandalf, began to form. They looked down at White Knight.
    “Do not grieve Arthur.” said Merlin. “For even though or physical forms have died we will survive to live again another day.”
    Merlin placed his astral hand on White Knight’s shoulder.
    “I will return, Arthur. I will return to you soon.”
    The two wizards then turned to the Acolytes.
    “I ask you now to journey with us to the Time of Legends, to the land of Istarix, where you will be given your staffs. There will you be taught to use your powers properly, and then, if you wish, you can return to this world which you call your home.”
    The astral images then walked over to the Acolytes, and within a few seconds they vanished, just as the sun began to set.

    That night the celebrations began. They celebrated victory in their war with Darkmagus, but the happiness was felt with sadness over their two lost comrades, Star Man and Chameleon. The celebrations took place in the grounds outside the mansion, and the spirits were high. It was during this celebration that Magus saw something, something that would possibly shape the future. Magus walked towards the main group, and he found himself congratulated by Watt. Magus did not seem to like this as he was soon joined by the others.
    “Stand back!” he shouted, waving his cane. “Be silent! Be still!”
    The gathered heroes began to form a large circle around Magus.
    “That’s it!” he said. “Rejoice with gladness, great gladness! Remember it always for you are joined by it! You are one under the stars! Remember it well then, this night, so that in years ahead you can say I was there with Magus that night, for it is the doom of men that they forget!”
    Magus paused as he walked around the circle that had been formed.
    “Hereafter, so that we remember our bonds, we shall always come together in a circle, to hear and tell of deeds good and brave!”
    Magus pointed to a spot on the horizon.
    “I will build a round table there this fellowship shall meet…and a hall around that table…and a castle around the hall!”
    Magus’ words were greeted by cheers from all of those gathered. It seemed that another chapter in the history of Anglo-Force was about to be written.

The End.


No comments:

Post a Comment