Forty years ago this month, I met these two for the first time.
We adopted Shep and Sam as puppy and kitten on the same day, both of them around six weeks old, on the same day we had to let Micky go because of a spinal issue.
We adopted Shep and Sam as puppy and kitten on the same day, both of them around six weeks old, on the same day we had to let Micky go because of a spinal issue.
These two became inseparable, a real double act. Being a Border Collie meant that Shep was incredibly intelligent, and incredibly devious as well, while Sam was possibly the most confident, and definitely the most smug cat I've ever known, and even when they were joined by the big daft Yellow Labrador Shane a year later, and the sweet little tabby cat Scruff five years later, Shep and Sam always remained close to each, so much so that it seemed fitting that they passed away within six months of each other fifteen years later in the summer of 2001, with Shane leaving us that November. It hurt like hell at the time but it felt right that the threesome that brought us so much love and joy all went together, more or less.
It may be forty years since they came into my life, but the memories are still strong. The only thing I regret is that I don't have more pictures of them.
Miss you lots fellas.
It may be forty years since they came into my life, but the memories are still strong. The only thing I regret is that I don't have more pictures of them.
Miss you lots fellas.

No comments:
Post a Comment