Sunday 17 September 2023

Chest Infection Week Six

A health update for you:

Tomorrow will be the start of the sixth week of my chest infection. Yep, suck bloody weeks of this crap. I never thought the bloody thing would last this long, but it has.

I had a check-up at the surgery last Friday. The original intention when I made the appointment was to see if I could work with my sciatica. (Don't get me started on how I had to jump through hoops just to get that appointment.)

The sciatica immediately took a back seat when I told the guy how the chest infection just wasn't getting any better, how I had countless coughing fits every day, and how I'd thought I'd pulled a ton of muscles down my right hand side because of this.



The guy examined me, took my temperature and all that, and listened to my chest, paying particular attention to my right hand side.

The diagnosis was that the chest infection was still there and doing it's damage, having congregated to my right had side. This also meant that I hadn't damaged my muscles at all. The pain I was getting in my chest, ribs and back may possibly be because of reduced air entry on my right hand side.

So what's next? I've been spitting into a test tube all weekend so it can off for testing tomorrow, and I'm also waiting for a date for a chest x-ray so they can see what the damage is. I'm on antibiotices again, and I'm also off work for another two weeks.

But what surprised me the most is the toll this thing has taken on me. Normally the walk from my house to the surgery takes me about ten minutes. The combination of sciatica and the chest infection meant that it took a lot longer, and I realised just a few steps into my journey home that I should have booked a taxi for both journeys.

I really hope I can get this sorted soon, because I'm sick of being sick, having to ask people to do the simplest of tasks for me.

Finally I'd like to thank big brother Paul for all of his help over the past few weeks, and to the others who've message me asking how I am.

And to end this thing on a lighter note: does this mean I qualify for the company get well soon card now?

No comments:

Post a Comment