Tuesday 8 August 2023

So I'm Having a Few Tests Done

I’ve been thinking a lot over the past twenty-four hours, thinking about how to word this, or if I should post this at all. But here goes anyway.

I’ve been feeling ill on and off for a while now. I can’t say for how long exactly because I simply can’t remember, but the story is that on some days I had a dicky tum, and on other days I didn’t and felt fine. After I felt unwell I just took an Immodium and went about my business.

Then I began to get a pain in the upper parts of my legs, and in my right hip in particular. At first I thought it might be related to the RSI-like injury I had with my neck, shoulders and arms. The pain wasn’t too bad, but then it began to spread to the point that the entire area between my upper legs and lower back began to hurt. This included a certain functional part of my body.

I immediately began to think about the recent death of George Alagiah and of the terrible disease that took his life, as well as an interview his colleague Jeremy Bowen gave to Sky News about his own experience with that disease, an interview in which he talked about his own symptoms. It came to a head one day last week when I had to take a day off work because I really didn’t feel well at all.

Yesterday I went to see my GP. She was a doctor I’d never seen before but she was really quite thorough, and I have nothing but praise for the way she dealt with me.

The upshot of it is I’m currently being tested for cancer amongst other things. My samples have gone in for testing, I’m visiting the legalised vampire tomorrow so she can take some blood from me, and I’m waiting for an appointment for an MRI scan.

To be completely honest with you I have no idea how I’m feeling at the moment. I don’t think it’s really hit me just what I’m being tested for. I’m just going about my business, I’m still working and doing the things I normally do. I’m just not doing them as quickly as I normally do because I’m not feeling one hundred per cent.

Maybe I’m just refusing to think about what could be wrong with me. It feels as if my mind is telling me there’s nothing wrong, even though my body is constantly telling me I’m in pain.

Why have I posted this here? I know I’ve said in the past that I really don’t like it when people share personal news like this online, but the fact is I’ve told my brothers, my boss, and a couple of friends about my diagnosis, and this seems like the best way to tell you all at once.

If you’re related to me and you’re not happy with the way you’ve found out about my health problems I apologize. The simple fact is though that I’ve got quite a bit on my plate at the moment, and I really don’t fancy spending a great amount of time telling people that I’m having tests for cancer. I’m sure you’ll understand.

So how should I end this post? How about this? Don’t be idiots. If you’re body is telling you something isn’t right don’t ignore it and see your GP.

There. That should do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment