Wednesday 31 December 2003

Random Ramblings March

It's been a while since I've written a column covering a few different subjects, but on this sunny Friday afternoon here in merry old England, I suddenly felt inspired to put pen to paper as it were.

The big one, Wrestlemania, is now just over a week away. I've read many things of various fan forums that Wrestlemania just isn't that special any more. To this I say nonsense. Wrestlemania is, and always will be, the grand-daddy of them all. From the first Wrestlemania in 1985, this event has literally put the wrestling business on the map. It is the biggest wrestling show of all time, the show in which the WWE stars always seem to crank their efforts up a notch or three. Just ask any wrestler who has competed on that show, and they'll tell you how damn important it is.

But one thing does worry me about this year's show - Kurt Angle. The world and his wife knows all about Kurt's serious neck injury, which could not only end his career, but his life as well.

Kurt's love of the wrestling business is infectious. He has done in a relatively short time what other wrestlers take decades to do. I wasn't a fan of his to start of with, but over the years, he's kind of grown on me. Which is the reason his match with Brock Lesnar at Wrestlemania worries me a great deal.

I've been a fan of wrestling for most of my life, and in the past few years, I've seen many great careers and lives ended. This kind of thing happens when you've been a fan for as long as I have. I really hope though that Kurt isn't making a mistake here. Watching his match with Lesnar will be extremely difficult.

One also has to have a degree of sympathy with Brock as well. This match is not only putting a great strain on Kurt, but on Brock as well. One slightly botched move could ruin things for Kurt, and if this happened, you have to wonder what sort of effect it would have on Brock's career. We all know what happened to D'Lo Brown after the accident with Droz. D'Lo's career hasn't been the same since.

Next subject - A Night Out With The Girls. People reading this in Britain will know what I'm talking about here. On ITV1 this past Tuesday they broadcast a documentary about women in Britain, about how they are taking on "male" roles in work and in play. The reason I watched this was because it featured a segment on WAW World and British women's champion Sweet Saraya.

When I saw the first few segments of the show I shook my head. I began to wonder just how Saraya would fit into this show. If this was an advert for the so-called fairer sex, then early on, it wasn't a good one. It showed women of various ages going out every night of the week getting totally smashed and making complete fools of themselves.

Then, in part three, came the segment with Saraya. It revolved around her match with Klondyke Kate at WAW's show in Norwich last April, the match in which she won the world title.

The piece was quite respectful towards her, even if the researchers hadn't done their job. The voice-over woman announced that Saraya's children, Zak, her son, and her daughter, Saraya, were eight and ten. Wrong! At the time of filming, Zak was ten and Saraya was eight. The voice-over woman also announced that Saraya was fighting for the World American Wrestling title. Again, a huge error! They could have at least remembered the World Association of Wrestling name!

In all, the segment on Saraya was probably the best part of the show. It was the only part of the show that, for me anyway, portrayed women in a positive light. Saraya told me before the show was broadcast she was a little worried about how she would be portrayed, especially after her previous television appearance, on the infamous Anna In Wonderland show.

Next subject - Tom Zenk. I was never really a big fan of Tom Zenk the wrestler. Sure, I admired him, and what he could do in that ring, but he was never really one of my all-time favourites.

However, in recent weeks I've paid quite a few visits to his website, www.tomzenk.com. I'd heard a few things about his on-line commentaries, and about how he had spit the venom at everyone and everything connected with the wrestling business. So it was with great interest that I logged onto his website to read his latest article, and I have to say that the guy is a damn good writer.

There is a tendency to write Tom off as a bitter, twisted has been who only complains the way he does because he never made it to the highest level in the WWE or WCW. But unlike many other former wrestlers, he's not afraid to tell it like it is. He offers his opinions freely, and because of the nature of his opinions, it guarantees his website gets tons of hits.

His recent article begins with a story about the Dynamite Kid, another wrestler known for being negative about the wrestling industry. With Dynamite, though, it's understandable. Tom's view on the day that the Bulldogs dropped the WWF tag titles to the Hart Foundation kind of struck a chord, and it made me think that if the Internet had been around in 1987, when the match occurred, the negative publicity Dynamite and the WWF would have received following the broadcast of that match would have been enormous. If "smart marks" had existed back then, Vince McMahon would have been hung, drawn, and quartered, on the Internet equivalent of it anyway.

I've recently been in touch with Tom about a possible interview. Hopefully this will happen sometime soon.

Next subject - local apathy. Last Saturday WAW held a show at the Riverside Ice & Leisure Centre in Chelmsford. The show was great, with five excellent matches, Sadly, the crowd numbered less than a hundred.

The reason for this is simple - a few weeks before, the postering team travelled to Chelmsford to help promote the show, to try and get the local businesses to put up posters for the show. They took with them one hundred posters. They only managed to get ten out.

For those abroad who don't know, Chelmsford is one of the larger cities in the east of England, probably around the same size as Norwich or Ipswich. Yet the apathy that met the WAW crew was really quite disgusting and annoying.

WAW were going to Chelmsford for the first time, yet hardly anyone in the city could be bothered to help promote the show. What also didn't help was the fact that the local press totally screwed up the advertisement, putting it in the newspaper a week before they were actually meant to.

As I said, the show drew in the region of a hundred fans, which was a huge disappointment. There was one point where the powers-that-be almost called the show off. But the show went on, to a great response, particularly from those who grace the U.K. Fan Forum with great regularity.

I've criticised the UKFF in the past, but I really can't say anything bad about those lads. If it wasn't for their cheering, their booing, and their chanting, it would have seemed like a funeral in that arena that night. They cried their hearts out, fair play to them, and gave the show glowing reviews on the forum for a next few days. Thanks lads.

While sticking on the subject of the UK Fan Forum, I must say that once again I am a little disappointed with certain aspects of it. I'm not going to name names here, but in a frank exchange of views I learned just what they think of certain people and wrestling companies in Britain.

I learned a few days ago that the forum has an events calendar, and that a few British wrestling companies had posted news on their upcoming shows. I had no idea that the forum provided this service, so put forward the idea, on the forum, that perhaps the bods running the show should have contacted promoters in Britain offering this service to them.

The response I got was not very welcoming. A certain moderator kept reminding me that the forum was run entirely by volunteers, that they weren't in the business of helping wrestling promoters make money. In my opinion, I was quite constructive in my posts, but I was only met with a barrage of insults and ranting.

So instead of posting on the forum, I contacted the moderators directly. This particular moderator made it obvious he was unwilling to forgive my past tirade against the forum, even though I had exchanged apologies with one of the other moderators some time ago. Boy did he rip into me. In a sincere gesture, I apologised, but he refused to accept this apology, which made me wonder what the hell I had to do to make this guy see I was sorry!

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, but I really do think that the UKFF could be a great place to advertise British wrestling, and this may be the reason why they've recently introduced a classifieds section to the forum, where everyone, from tape traders, web masters and the like can advertise their wares. But I'm left to wonder just how many promoters in Britain know that the UKFF offers this service. I'm pretty sure a great deal of them don't use the forum on a regular basis, if at all.

Which is what makes this whole thing a shame. I understand perfectly that the UKFF doesn't make any money, that it is run by volunteers, but they could improve their reputation, and the reputation of the UKFF, by approaching the promoters, offering this service to them.

This particular moderator said to me that he had no wish to become a part of the wrestling industry. Well, I hate to tell you, my friend, but you ARE a part of the wrestling industry. Everyone, be they fan, website master, tape trader, or even UK Fan Forum moderator, are a part of this industry, whether you like it or not.

The sad thing about this situation is this fellow's refusal to accept my apology for our past disagreement. I've had disagreements in the past with people within the wrestling industry, and some close friendships have come about as a result of this. I'm not saying I want to be a close friend of this guy. I just think it's a shame he can't forget the past and let bygones be bygones. No doubt parts of this article will appear on the UK Fan Forum, so someone will make him aware of my views.

Next subject - the Dallas Sportatorium. A couple of days ago I read in the latest edition of Total Wrestling that the famed arena is being torn down. I felt a little sad when I read this.

The Sportatorium probably ranks alongside the ECW Arena and Madison Square Garden, and, dare I say it, the Norwich Corn Exchange as far as wrestling history goes. This was the home of the famous World Class Championship Wrestling promotion, and great names such as the Von Erichs, the Freebirds, Mick Foley, Chris Adams, Jerry Lawler, Jeff Jarett, and a certain Steve Austin have competed in this building. When the place is torn down, I wonder if wrestling fans across the world who watched the old shows will feel a degree of sadness. I know I will.

Next subject - volunteers. I touched on the subject a few paragraphs ago, and I'd like to discuss it a little further. In the past few weeks a couple of wrestlers said to me that the volunteers who work in the industry have, more than anything, helped get the industry to where it is today. I couldn't agree more.

Despite what many people think, I don't actually get paid for my work for the World Association of Wrestling. I do it because I love the wrestling industry, and because of loyalty. I don't get paid to write my weekly column on the Internet.

After the wrestlers, it's the volunteers who are the next biggest stars in the wrestling industry, the men and women who give hours of their time for no money and very little glory, just because they want to help out, to be a part of the show.

And I'm not just taking about the people who run web sites and fan forums and the like. I'm talking about the people who run raffles, who drive vans, who help put up the ring and set out the  chairs. These people are the unsung heroes of the business, and should be applauded.

I'm left to wonder just how many volunteers currently work on Raw or Smackdown, or in the office at Titan Towers. My guess would be not many.

Next subject - Alex Shane. This man is probably one of the most well-known wrestlers in Britain today. He is the public face of the Frontier Wrestling Alliance. I've got nothing personal against the man. I've met him a couple of times, and found him to be quite a likeable chap. I think his weekly "Shane's Shooting Gallery" column is an enjoyable read.

However, I must disagree with a statement he recently made, about wrestlers sitting in the crowd at recent FWA shows. He basically said he doesn't agree with this practice, and the FWA  has now banned this activity.

My point here is - why? In my recent interview with WAW supremo Ricky Knight, Ricky stated that he likes to watch the first few matches of any WAW show, so he can try and gauge what kind of crowd is in attendance, so it will help him in his match.

Also, there have been many occasions at WAW shows where, instead of sitting at ringside, I've sat in the back row, and I've been joined by wrestlers who have already competed. If the wrestlers aren't causing anyone any harm, what is the problem?

I'm left to wonder if Alex thinks the same way about wrestlers who aren't booked on the show sitting in the audience. I hope this isn't the case, because then, the FWA's trainees wouldn't be able to take their places in the audience.

I must also applaud the FWA's upcoming tour, which will see them hold shows all around Britain. If I recall they'll be holding something like nine shows in ten days, or something like that.

For a long time now we've heard that the FWA is the biggest wrestling company in Britain today. I've got noting personally against the FWA, but I do dispute this claim. Some say that they're the biggest company in Britain because they always draw large crowds at their shows. My problem is that until now, they've only held on average two shows a month, while some other wrestling companies in Britain hold considerably more than that, especially Brian Dixon's All-Star Wrestling company, who, at times, hold two shows a day, let alone two a month.

The FWA may not be the biggest company in Britain, but they are certainly the most exposed. They have a great media-relations machine, and in Alex, a good figurehead. I'll be watching with great interest how their upcoming tour goes. Will they be able to get the same sort of attendance on an almost daily basis that they get on a monthly basis? Only time will tell.

Next subject - Triple H. I watched with interest his recent match with Maven. This would have been a great opportunity to get Maven over. Yet once again, the ego landed, and Triple H dominated the contest.

I think Al Snow and the rest of the people who have given Maven a start in the wrestling business should be applauded for their efforts. As the first winner of Tough Enough, Maven had a lot riding on him. He could have fallen at the first hurdle, but didn't. He showed that he has learned his lessons well, and has progressed well in the WWE.

Until his match with Triple H. The match lasted about four or five minutes, yet Maven wasn't allowed even one minute of offensive moves against him.

This just shows what is really wrong with the Raw brand. Triple H is dominating everything. When you watch a Smackdown title match, you actually believe that the champion could lose his title. But when you watch a Raw title match, you're left to wonder just why you're watching, because it's plainly obvious that Triple H is not going to lose. It doesn't matter who he goes in the ring with. And this is why the excitement of Raw is now gone.

Rumour has it that now King of the Ring is history, Raw and Smackdown will get four pay-per-views a year to showcase their various talents. The buy-rates of the Raw PPVs will make interesting reading.

Next subject - Flash Barker. This guy is one of Britain's top wrestlers at the moment, a fourteen year veteran, and one of the nicest guys you could meet behind the scenes. So when I heard that the guy had been taken to hospital suffering breathing problems before the FWA's Crunch show this past Sunday, I was concerned. Thankfully, he only stayed in hospital one night, and is now on the mend. I'd like to wish Flash a speedy recovery.

Final subject - Recently, having completed a near three year tenure of Internet journalism, yours truly decided that it's perhaps time to take the next step in my writing career. That's why I've sent off my portfolio to three wrestling magazines - Total Wrestling and Power Slam here in Britain, and the mighty World Wrestling Entertainment magazine itself. I know my chances of actually getting a job with these magazines is slim, but as a friend of mine would say, it doesn't hurt to try!

So wish me luck guys!


No comments:

Post a Comment