Sunday 31 December 2000

The 2Extreme Sheds Review

Greetings to all ECW fans! A lot of you are probably thinking - what the hell is this fella doing here? Well, as a special one-off, and as a special thanks to LTJ for his kind words regarding my work, T(E)SR has come here to justECW land.Firstly I would like to thank those who spoke about my review in these pages. Thanks for the mention fellas! In this one-off, I thought I would write about why I like ECW, what I don't like, and all that.

You see, although I watch WCW, over the past few years, in my opinion, they have really messed up. They've lost a ton of their top stars because of their booking practices, and have cost two of their top stars careers because of this. When I heard that WCW was having money troubles, I put on my Nelson Muntz hat and cried HA HA! Yet when I hear ECW was having money troubles, I feared for the worst.

ECW has achieved a great deal in their short life. ECW fans are by far the most passionate fans I have ever seen, and it seems that these days, ECW outdraws WCW. We all remember when just 200 fans turned up for Nitro a few weeks ago, don't we? Just watching that Nitro was painful! It was so quiet it looked like a funeral would break out any minute!Then there is the talent. Just look at the current WWF television talent. In my rough estimation about a third, perhaps even half, of their current talent worked for ECW at one time. Many of them could probably be considered ECW hall of famers, if such an institution ever came about.

Now look at WCW. Think of the ECW stars who went down to Atlanta in the past. How many of them were really, really successful? And doesn't it say something about ECW when two of the few WCW stars I currently rate are Lance Storm and Mike Awesome, even if I do think that the Team Canada and 70's guy thing are really crap.

But the current ECW stars really impress me. It's not surprising that the WWF seem interested in a few of them. Take Yoshihiro Tajiri for instance. In the past few years, I have seen many Japanese stars wrestle in America, but none of them seemed as over as Tajiri, not even the Great Muta in his prime. This really takes some doing. Doring and Roadkill are a really great team. PWI described them as being like the Hart Foundation in their prime. Maybe not yet, but time will tell. Kid Kash, Super Crazy and Rhino really impress me as well. CW Anderson seems to be a really tough SOB. Steve Corino, Jerry Lynn and Justin Credible are/were all worthy to wear the ECW World Championship. Great athletes. Great matches. Tommy Dreamer not only has the respect of the ECW locker room, but of other locker rooms as well. I'm not surprised that other companies not only want to take him on as a wrestler, but as a booker as well. And what about old Sandman? Sadly misused by WCW, but back where he belongs! Have a Bud on me! And now the best of the bunch! Rob Van Dam is, in my opinion, the best ECW has right now. While Kurt Angle is described as the most gifted real athlete, and Billy Gunn the best natural athlete, RVD is without a doubt the best all round wrestler. He has it all - power, speed, technical ability, agility. It does strike me as odd, though, that he has never been ECW champion. But hey, if he can sort out whatever problems he has with Paul Heyman, maybe someday soon! And a quick word about Dawn Marie and Francine! HUBBA HUBBA!

And let's not forget the rest of the talent. Too many to mention here, but still a great bunch! Kudos to Paul Heyman as well. The man who was merely an annoying idiot in WCW ten years ago has turned out to be a man of vision. I hope he sorts out the business problems soon. And finally, to Joey Styles and Joel Gertner! In Styles, perhaps good 'ol JR has some competition! Well, you can't count Fat Tony here, can you? And the studmuffin? Keep on studding!

Before I wrap things up, I would like to say that I hope ECW achieves two things in the near future. 1) They get a real good TV contract in the US. Without national exposure, I fear for the worst. 2) They get a real good TV contract in the UK. Bravo may have been the only channel here to expose us to ECW, but they are really f##ing up. We are now some TWO MONTHS BEHIND, the show is heavily edited, and we don't get the pay-per-views. The only current ECW news we get over here is from newsletters like this one! If Bravo isn't going to give us what we want, perhaps some other cable or satellite channel can!

Well, that's my view. As always, I welcome your feedback. If you can, please send your feedback to me. I will try to send a personal reply. TSR QUOTE - "Keep up the good work, LTJ! You have talent my friend!"

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment