Sunday 31 December 2000

Random Ramblings

Hello, and welcome to this week's edition of The Two Sheds Review. I'm going to write about a couple of things, one is to do with wrestling (sort of) and the other has a slight, long past connection with wrestling.

On Saturday, 7th October, the last major sporting event at the historical Wembley Stadium, when England play Germany in a World Cup qualifying match, will take place. Wembley Stadium is known the world over. It is the home of the FA Cup Final, the League Cup Final. It has seen many memorable sporting events there. The infamous Stanley Matthews cup final. The so-called "white horse" final. Henry Cooper floored Cassius Clay there. In 1985, Live Aid began there. Many great bands over the years have played there, and English footballs's last great moment, the 1966 World Cup Final, and THAT Kenneth Wolstenholme sentence, will always be associated with Wembley.

Oh, and Summerslam 92 was there as well.

I hope that England and Germany put on a football match befitting this occasion. Wembley Stadium demands no less.And now, down to wrestling. In the past two days I have had two pieces of bad news with regards to my wrestling/writing career. Yesterday I got the news that Powerbomb Wrestling News, an email newsletter, had folded. 

This publication, founded by Jordan Allsworth, had both been going that long. Yours truly was the first column writer recruited onto the newsletter, and I am saddened that it is no more.

Today, the fanzine, The Main Event, which is just over a year old, also folded. Founded by James Gallagher, it was well put together, and even though I had only been writing for James for a few months, we had a pretty good relationship, and I am saddened by this demise as well.

But I began to ask myself why these two publications have folded. The answer was soon forthcoming, and was quite simple - lack of advertising. At this moment in time, I currently subscribe to five email newsletters, and I write for two of them. But how did I find out about these newsletters? I saw an advertisement for one, and saw others advertised in that one, and subscribed to those as well. Basically, a cyberspace form of word of mouth.

This is where, I believe, James and Jordan went wrong. I'm not going to put these fellas down, because they are really great people and talented writers, but the major mistake they made with their publications is not advertising them. While writing for them, I heavily hyped Powerbomb and TME, but even though this helped raise the readership of both slightly, this was not enough. I offered to help them both with advertising by putting them in touch with various editors, but sadly, my words fell on deaf ears. It is my hope that their views on the wrestling world will not go unheard for long. Although James said he was in it to make money, and Jordan said he didn't really have the time, it is my hope that soon, very soon, we will see their views on all aspects of the sports entertainment world somewhere, very soon. I would like to wish the both of you the very best of luck in whatever you choose to do.

Sorry I didn't talk much about actual wrestling news this week, but this is related to wrestling at least! Not like that fella who had an article in one newsletter about Channel 4's animation week! Or the current state of dance music!

Until next time..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment