Sunday 31 December 2000

Bret Hart's Retirement

I feel I must take responsibility for something.

The other day, while reading The Jord Report, the subject being Bret Hart's retirement, I found myself totally disagreeing with everything Jordan had to say, and later, totally agreeing with everything I saw in The Snake Pit.Bret Hart is probably one of the legends in sports entertainment. It's a safe bet to say that at one time he was probably my favourite wrestler. I have never seen a moretechnically giften man than Bret, with perhaps the exceptions of Chris Benoit and Dean Malenko. Although I haven't exactly agreed with everything Bret has said and done in the past three years, I did have some sorrow for him when he was screwed over by Vince McMahon, I have a lot of respect for old Vince, but what he did to Bret was utter bullshit.

This is, in my opinion, where Bret's career went downhill. And I also have the greatest of sympathies with Bret with regards to Owen. But Jordan's comment's left an awful taste in my mouth. Bret has done what many others in years gone by should have. He got out of the game when he knew his body couldn't take it any more. Does this make him a pussy? NO.

Upon seeing the news, and his statement, my opinion of him, tarnished somewhat in the past three years, grew a little. If only some other wrestlers knew when the time was right, and retired when their bodies couldn't handle it any more.

I know I'm going to get some feedback on this, but if Yokozuna had listened to those doctors in New York, he may be alive now.

So why do I feel a little responsible? Because in the past few months, Jordan and I have formed something of a friendship. I was the first writer recruited to his now defunct Powerbomb Wrestling Newsletter. I encouraged him to add columns to his newsletter, and to distribute it through the egroups system. In return, Jordan got me a copy of the Zeus e-fed program, which I still enjoy tinkering with. When his newsletter folded, I encouraged him to offer his services to one of the other email newsletters. I said his views on the wrestling world were food, and he shouldn't remain silent for long. I was pleased when I learned that David had taken him on.

I'm sorry, Jordan, if you don't like what I'm about to say, but your views on Bret Hart are wrong, totally wrong. Bret has won my respect for getting out now. Lots more could learn by his example, instead of becoming the punch-drunk drugged up losers they will no doubt become. Bret, you've earned my respect back. You were one of the best, and I wish you the best of luck with whatever you choose to do with the rest of your life. See you Friday, folks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment