Thursday 18 August 1994

Inauguration - Chapter Four

The time of the reception had arrived. The debating chamber on Babylon 5 had been turned into a sort of ballroom, and this was where the reception would be held. At first only a few of the visiting dignitaries arrived. They were each greeted by Sinclair and Ivanova. At first they were somewhat annoyed at the low turnout.
    “You would have thought the chance of some free food would have had them showing up in their hundreds.” said Ivanova.
    “It’s early.” said Sinclair. “I hope they turn up soon. It would give some of them the chance to talk in a way they haven’t before.”

    Then Sinclair watched as an elderly man, dressed in the uniform of a Starfleet admiral, slowly walked down the corridor towards the door.
    “Who’s that?” asked Ivanova. “I’ve never seen him before.”
    “That, Lieutenant Commander, is Leonard McCoy, one of Starfleet Medicals best doctors.”
    “You mean McCoy of the Enterprise?” said Ivanova. “But that would make him…”
    “About one hundred and forty, give or take a year or two.”
    McCoy was near the entrance now. He stopped and looked at Sinclair.
    “You must be Sinclair.” he said. “They tell me your station doesn’t have a transporter.”
    “That’s correct sir. Most races that visit this station haven’t developed the technology yet.”
    “Damn good thing if you ask me. It isn’t good for you to have your atoms scattered all over the galaxy.”
    McCoy went to enter the chamber. After a few steps he stopped and turned to Sinclair.
    “Are there any Vulcans at this thing yet?”
    “If you mean Ambassador Spock he’s on the station, but not here yet.”
    “Good.” said McCoy. “Vulcans can be damn annoying!”
  McCoy continued on his way into the chamber. Sinclair smiled.
    “I’ve only met him twice before.” he said. “And he hasn’t changed once!”
    Then Ivanova noticed another of the guests enter. This man was a stout fellow with grey hair and a grey moustache. He was dressed in an old Starfleet captain’s uniform.
    “I see Captain Scott has arrived.” said Sinclair.
    “Montgomery Scott?” said Ivanova. “But he should be as old as Doctor McCoy, and he doesn’t look a day over…”
    “Seventy? It’s a long story Lieutenant Commander. I’ll tell it to you sometime.”
    Scotty stopped when he came to the door.
    “Captain Scott, I’m Commander Sinclair. This is my first officer, Susan Ivanova.”
    Scotty shook them both by the hand.
    “Aye, it’s a pleasure to meet you Commander.”
    Sinclair noticed a bottle in Scotty’s hand.
    “What is that?” he asked.
    Scotty held the bottle up and looked at it.
    “To tell you the truth Commander, I don’t rightly know.”
    “May I?”
    Scotty handed the bottle to Sinclair, who took off the top and sniffed the liquid. He then looked at the contents again.
    “What do you think?”
    Sinclair handed the bottle to Ivanova.
    “It…it is green!” she said.
    “That’s what I said.” said Scotty. “I still haven’t found out what it is. All I do know is that it tastes good!”
    Sinclair smiled.
    “I believe a friend of yours is over there, Captain.”
    Sinclair pointed to one of the tables where McCoy was standing. They watched as Ambassador Mollari’s attaché, Vir, was busy stacking large amounts of food on a small plate. Suddenly he bumped into McCoy, his mind being on other things, mainly his stomach. McCoy was not pleased.
    “What do you think you’re doing boy?” asked an irate McCoy.
    Vir’s jaw dropped. He recognised him instantly.
    “You’re…McCoy…Bones…Doctor McCoy! I’ve always wanted to meet you!”
    “And you’re a boy with a damn awful haircut. Was your barber blinded by something when he gave you a trim boy?”
    Sinclair smiled, as did Scotty.
    “I think you’d better go over there and save the Doctor.” said Sinclair.
    “I don’t think it’s the Doctor that needs saving, Commander!”
    And with that Scotty took his bottle of green and went to save the young attaché from Centauri Prime.
    As Scotty walked towards his old friend Sinclair looked around the room, and mainly towards an empty podium, which had five seats on it.
    “What’s the matter?” asked Ivanova.
    “The musicians should have been here half an hour ago.” said Sinclair. “I’d better go and see where they are.”
    Sinclair left the room and walked off down the corridor. Along the way he again encountered his worst nightmare.
    “Mrs. Troi.” he said. “I take it you’re on the way to the reception?”
    “Of course I am Commander.” she said. “I’m rather looking forward to meeting all of those ambassadors, especially Ambassador Magus.”
    “He isn’t here yet.” said Sinclair. “In fact, hardly anyone is.”
    “Well maybe you can accompany me until someone arrives.” smiled Mrs. Troi.
    “I’m afraid I can’t.” said Sinclair. “I’ve got to see a man about a violin. If you’ll excuse me.”
    Sinclair continued on his way down the corridor where he passed the huge Mr. Homm, who himself soon caught up with Mrs. Troi.
    “What is it with that man?” she said. “He always seems so…busy!”
    Sinclair continued to walk down the corridor until he saw Garibaldi in the distance. Garibaldi was talking to some rather strange looking aliens which had long snouts and blue fur. Sinclair went over to them.
    “Ah, good.” he said. “You’ve found the musicians!”
    “Is that what these are?” asked Garibaldi.
    “Can’t you tell?” asked Sinclair. “Come with me.”
    The five musicians followed Sinclair down the corridor towards the reception.

    In his quarters Watt had finished putting on his ambassadorial robes. Magus was also there.
    “I never thought I’d see the day when you would dress like that.” said Magus.
    Suddenly the door buzzer went.
    “Don’t worry.” said Magus. “I’ll get that.”
    Magus walked over to the door and pressed the panel that opened it. He was pleased to see who was standing on the other side.
    “Londo! Londo Mollari! I was wondering when we’d get round to seeing each other! Come in!”
    “I went to your quarters but your dogs told me you were here.” said Mollari. “I came here to warn you.”
    “Warn me? What of, old friend? Is there a Denebian slime devil after me?”
    “No, something much worse.”
    Watt walked over to them.
    “What can be worse than a slime devil?”
    “Lwaxana Troi. I was with her when you arrived on the station, and I…accidentally..told her you were probably the richest man here at the moment. When she heard this her eyes began to light up like your Blackpool Tower.”
    Watt let out a huge laugh.
    “I’d watch out if I were you.” he said. “I’ve met Mrs. Troi a few times before. She can be quite a handful.”
    “I know.” said Magus. “Her reputation proceeds her. Don’t worry Londo, I have a few tricks up my sleeve!”

    Sinclair had now made sure the musicians were in the reception hall, and after a few minutes of tuning up they began to play their music. Their music would have been more at home in a bar in Mos Eisley, but for this reception it was more than adequate.
    As the music played more and more guests began to file into the hall. Vir had started to keep a distance between himself and Dr. McCoy, while Scotty made sure that the Doctor got nowhere near the young Centauri. McCoy’s spirits were raised slightly when he saw another old friend of his enter.
    “Looks like fun time is over.” he said. “With a Vulcan here no one will be happy.”
    “Aye, it’s good to see Mister Spock again.”
    The legendary ambassador was greeted by Lt. Commander Ivanova, and he soon saw his two old friends. He approached them.
    “Mister Scott, Doctor McCoy, it is agreeable to see you again. You are both looking well.”
    “Aye, I feel quite good for someone who’s nearly one hundred and fifty.” said Scotty.
    “Go on.” said McCoy. “Rub it in!”
    “I was merely trying to say that you looked good for your age, Doctor.” said Spock.
    “I know.” said McCoy. “I understand you’ve been spending quite a bit of time on Romulus lately Spock.”
    “Yes Doctor. In fact I have been asked by the President to chair the upcoming peace talks between our two peoples.”
    “I don’t like the idea of forming an alliance with the Romulans.” said McCoy. “We have enough pointy-eared freaks in the Federation as it is.”
    “May I remind you, Doctor, that the Vulcans were one of the five founding members of the United Federation of Planets, and we are merely suggesting an alliance with the Romulans. Things are changing for the better on Romulus.”
    “I hope you’re right, Mister Spock.” said Scotty.
    As time went by the hall began to fill with the visitors. When Gul Dukat entered he entered with an air of authority and defiance around him. The Grand Nagus of Ferengal came scurrying in with his servant and headed straight towards the food tables. When the representative from Tau Alpha C, a man known only as the Traveller, entered an air of mystery entered the room. Many were reticent about talking to him, but the ice was soon broken by an old friend of his, Captain Jean-Luc Picard.
    One by one, and sometimes two by two, the visitors filed in. There were the ambassadors that were residents on Babylon 5, Londo Mollari, Delenn, G’Kar, and the mysterious Kosh of Vorlon. The Klingon Chancellor, Gowron, was not far behind. He was somewhat hesitant, remember what Magus had done to his predecessor.
    Also arriving were those representing Starfleet, such as Admirals Lethbridge-Stewart, Calevicchi, and Quinn, from Starfleet Command, Haftel from the Cybernetics Division, as well as Commander Benjamin Sisko from Deep Space Nine, along with Major Kira and Chief O’Brien. This reception also gave an opportunity to some family reunions, Doctor Beverly Crusher being reunited with her son, the newly-graduated Ensign Wesley Crusher. There were also the senior officers from the Enterprise, Valkyrie, Yorktown and Aswan. And as a sign of the important steps the new President was hoping to take, Romulans Pardek and Tomalok were mingling with those of Starfleet, perhaps a sign of things to come.
    By the door Sinclair, Ivanova and Ro stood and watched the proceedings.
    “I never thought I would see anything like this.” said Sinclair. “Races that had been at war with each other talking to each other as if they were old friends.”
    “I agree.” said Ro. “All we need now is the final ingredient, the thing that is make this possible. I’d better go and see what’s keeping them.”
    Ro left the chamber. Ivanova turned to Sinclair.
    “I only hope he knows what he’s let himself in for.”

No comments:

Post a Comment