Thursday 18 August 1994

Inauguration - Chapter Eight

It was indeed a busy day on Babylon 5. Everyone was rushing about preparing for the evening’s events. In all of this hustle and bustle Narn Ambassador G’Kar still found time to take a stroll around the station. It was during this stroll that G’Kar found someone else who was not caught up in the chaos of the moment, the commanding officer of the Romulan ship, Tomalok. He saw Tomalok looking at some jewellery.
    “I hope none of that is for you Commander.” said G’Kar.
    Tomalok turned around to see the ambassador behind him. He smiled.
    “Ambassador, I did not know it was you. I am merely looking for some gifts to take home to my family. A Romulan has never been on Babylon 5 before. A gift brought from one of it’s ships may become priceless in a few years.”

    “Ah, but from what I understand you won’t be the last Romulan on this station.”
    “You are referring to the peace talks of course, Ambassador.”
    Tomalok began to walk to another stall. G’Kar followed him.
    “I was most surprised that the Romulan government agreed to such talks.” said G’Kar. “To tell you the truth I never thought I would see a time when the Federation and your people would meet.”
    “I also.” said Tomalok. “But if anyone is to be thanked over this then it should be Ambassador Spock. He has done much on our world since arriving there a few years ago.”
    “You must not forget the new president, Commander, and his lust for peace! But you still have not answered my question Commander. Why did your government agree to these talks?”
    Tomalok looked around as if to make sure no one else was within earshot.
    “My government only agreed to these talks because of one thing.” he whispered. “We are no longer seeking to expand our borders through the Neutral Zone. Even as I speak high-ranking military officials are en-route to talks that will see the Romulan Star Empire expand in other areas.”
    “An alliance?” queried G’Kar. “With another power perhaps?”
    “I can say no more, only this. Why do you think they sent a lowly official like Pardek to this gathering?”

    Watt lay on the examination table in Med=Lab having various tests carried out on him. Dr. Franklin stood at his computer analysing the results.
    “I’ve adjusted the tests after the information you gave me Mr. President, but I can still find nothing wrong with you.”
    Just then the door opened and a woman entered. Franklin looked up, obviously pleased to see her.
    “Dr. Pulaski! I’m glad you could help me here.”
    “I’m glad to be of help Stephen. Ever since I treated Ambassador Magus at Stone Henge immortals medicine has become a sort of speciality for me.”
    Pulaski walked over to the examination table. A now very groggy Watt barely noticed her.
    “Are you sure you’ll be able to help him?” asked Franklin.
    “The only immortals I’ve treated before have been wizards. President Watt is an entirely different kettle of fish.”
    Then the door opened again as Ambassador Magus entered.
    “I just got the word that James was feeling ill.” he said.
    “Yes.” said Franklin. “He says the last time he felt like that was when he was killed by a cavourite weapon. But I don’t understand, how could he have been killed and yet be here today.”
    “Death is not something one often brags about Dr. Franklin.” said Magus. “Tell me, have you found any trace of cavourite in his body?”
    “None.” said Franklin. “All I can find is a high temperature.”
    “Dr. Pulaski?”
    “I can’t find anything either.”
    Magus walked over to Watt’s head. He checked Watt’s eyes and then his pulse. He then placed his hand on Watt’s forehead, and a slight glow appeared. The glow subsided a few seconds later.
    “He is suffering from mild cavourite poisoning.” said Magus.
    “But how can cavourite affect him?” asked Franklin. “It doesn’t harm normal humanoids.”
    “The President is not normal.” said Pulaski. “He gained his powers after an accident involving cavourite dust. It can also be used to give powers to others.”
    “That is why cavourite was outlawed by the Federation and the League of Non-Aligned Worlds years ago.” said Magus. “Although if provided a great source of power it could also be used as a devastating weapon. But enough of this, we are getting sidetracked. For now Dr. Franklin I suggest half a litre of codrazine injected into his system.”
    “That would kill him!”
    “It will allay the effects of the cavourite.” said Magus. “His system can handle it. Then we must ask Commander Sinclair to conduct a full scan of the station, as well as the nearby starships.”

    Five minutes later Magus and Sinclair were walking through Ops discussing Watt’s current condition.
    “If cavourite was on board the sensors would have detected it.” said Sinclair. “Cavourite hasn’t been used in years, not since the ban.”
    “I know.” said Magus. “The act banning it was passed during my short term in the Federation Senate.”
    “But I still can’t understand how it could have been smuggled on board.”
    “How good are you at history Commander? Years ago, in the twentieth century, man found a way of detecting explosives, to stop them from being smuggled into some countries. With the introduction of the Semtex explosive this task became nearly impossible. It may be that someone has developed a form of cavourite that is undetectable by sensor.”
    “If that’s so we may never find it until it’s too late!”

    Garibaldi sat at the console in his office making the finishing touches to the sensor sweep that had been ordered two hours earlier. When the results showed up on the screen he thumped the table in annoyance. It was then that Ro entered.
    “You should be careful. You might do yourself an injury.”
    “Very funny.”
    “Is the sensor sweep finished yet?”
    “I just got the results. They found nothing.”
    “How can that be? Cavourite is easily detectable.”
    “I think Ambassador Magus was right. Maybe they have developed a new form of it.”
    “It’s that, or last minute nerves for the President.”

    In Med-Lab Watt was recovering well. Franklin was conducting another scan under the watchful eye of Pulaski and Duncan McCloud.
    “Your temperature is almost back to normal.” said Franklin. “That’s one good thing.”
    “Look Jim, I’ve got a bad feeling about this.” said McCloud. “If there is a cavourite weapon on board it means that someone may try to kill you. I think we could postpone the inauguration until we get to the bottom of this thing.”
    Watt gingerly got to his feet.
    “No way.” said Watt. “I’ve waited six months since this election and I’m not putting this off another day.”
    “The Admiral is right.” said Pulaski. “There are many on this station who are against your policies and may want to harm you.”
    “Is this concern I see coming from you Doctor?” said Watt. “A bit overdue, don’t you think? No. I don’t care what you say. The inauguration goes ahead as planned.”

    The Eldar quarters were very silent. News had spread around the station that Watt had been taken ill. For a reason known only to him this interested Lanriel Nightland. He paced up and down his quarters, much to the annoyance of Tyrell of Arden.
    “Where is he?” Nightland fumed. “Why hasn’t he brought us the news?”
    Then the door buzzer sounded.
    “Enter.” called Nightland.
    The door opened, and a man wearing the uniform of a Starfleet doctor entered.
    “Lord Nightland, I am Doctor Gideon Fax, the chief medical officer of the Yorktown.”
    “Yes, I know who you are Doctor. What news do you have about the President?”
    “He has been treated by Ambassador Magus. From what my sources tell me Admiral McCloud pleaded with him to cancel the inauguration but Watt refused.”
    “Do they know of the blaster?” asked Tyrell.
    “Their sensors are trying to locate the cavourite source.” said Fax. “I fear that they may soon detect it.”
    Then someone entered from the adjoining room. It was Alen the Seer, and he was carrying in his arms what looked like some sort of weapon.
    “You have no need to worry Doctor Fax. I have cast a spell over the weapon, cloaking it from the station’s internal sensors. And with the map Lord Hargen has obtained for us the men from the Yorktown and the Aswan are using it to plan explosive devices in obscure places upon the station.”
    “Why?” asked Fax. “Are we blowing up this station?”
    “If the need arises we will.” said Nightland. “But I am hoping it will not come to that!”

No comments:

Post a Comment