Monday 31 December 1990

Anglo-Force: The Telepathic Policeman Chapter 2

    Solo stood before an impressive looking mansion some thirty miles north of London. As he walked up the gravel drive to the house the front door swung open to reveal Toombs, the butler of Dr. Magus. He showed the Inspector into a beautifully furnished drawing room and left. Solo seated himself on the leather sofa and gazed around the room. In many ways it reminded him of Magus’ study at Craigmillar. It had some gothic bookcases, the same huge mahogany desk to one side. As he sat there he heard a voice behind him.
    “Hello, Inspector. Welcome to Raven Hall.”
    Solo spun around to see Magus gazing idly out of the window.
    “Where did you come from?”
    Magus smiled.
    “Through the wall. It’s a trick I sometimes use at board meetings. Scares the hell out of everyone. Quite funny really.”
    “I didn’t come here to play games, Magus. I need your help.”
    “I know.”
    “How can you? I haven’t told anyone about my problem.”
    “My dear Solo, I am not just an amiable old man who can do magic. You are not worthy of the title of the Istari if that is the case. There is very little that I do not know. As your car approached my house I could hear your thoughts. You were broadcasting them quite clearly. You will have to be taught to shield them.”
    “What are you talking about?”
    “Your accident has given you E.S.P. Clairvoyance, if you like. It’s a rather basic skill for one such as myself, but rather unusual for a human. You will need to be tutored in how best to deal with these new abilities.”
    “You will help me?”
    “I will do what I can, but I will not be able to help you all the way. It will become necessary to enlist the help of others as we proceed.”
    Magus and Toombs led Solo into a guest room. As the two of them left Teddy trotted in.
    “Why is Inspector Solo here?”
    “He has developed E.S.P. after an accident.”
    “I sense that this causes you some concern.”
    “I must help him to use his abilities. But it may only take another blow to remove these powers.”

    Jock Muir walked through the corridors of Dentonville Prison. He was at the prison trying to determine what the cause of the lift accident was. So far he could only come up with one answer, power failure. He also hoped that Paul Solo would not sue him for damages.
    As he walked past the infirmary he happened to glance through the transparent doors. This was the room that Woodwose was kept in. He was always kept under sedation, but as Muir walked past he saw someone else in the room. Muir did not recognise him. It certainly wasn’t one of the doctors. The man had his hands placed on Woodwose’s head. Muir walked into the infirmary.
    “Who are you, and what the bloody hell do you think you’re doing?”
    The stranger shot him an icy stare. He then stood upright. He stood about six feet tall, and had short black hair. He was dressed in a sort of black and red uniform.
    “Who I am, and what I am doing here, is of no concern to you…at the present time that is. If you get your doctors to look at this renegade Monstron they will find that I have repaired his brain. I have done so because he will be needed in the near future. His health is of the utmost importance to me. He must be fit to take part in my ‘experiment’.”
    “Experiment? What do you mean?”
    “All will become clear, Mr. Muir. Or should I perhaps call you…Stingray?”
    “How do you know about my past?”
    Before the stranger could answer he snapped his fingers and there was a flash of light. A second later and he was gone.

    Several hours passed. Woodwose began to come around. As he awoke he saw the small figure of Dr. Magus standing above him.
    “Easy my friend.” said Magus.
    “What happened?” asked Woodwose. “The last thing I remember is being in my quarters at the mansion. After that everything is a blur.”
    “It’s a long story. I will explain it to you later, but first I must examine you.”
    A slight glow appeared around Magus’ hand. He moved it up and down Woodwose’s body.
    “Your injuries have been healed. I can find no trace of the brain damage you suffered. But how…?”
    Then Solo, who had travelled to Dentonville with Magus, entered the infirmary.
    “Security system checks out. However they got in they got in without setting off the alarm.”
    Solo then walked further into the room. He then appeared to stagger slightly. He placed his hand on his head.
    “What’s wrong?” asked Magus.
    “I feel something.” Solo replied. “Suddenly feel so strange. Never felt anything like this before. A powerful force…too much for me to handle!”
    Solo clasped his head and let out a huge cry of pain. He then slumped to the ground. Magus rushed over to him. He then checked Solo’s brainwave pattern. What Magus had suspected was true. A powerful force had entered the prison. Would Magus and his allies have to keep their part of a deal, a deal that only Magus knew about?

No comments:

Post a Comment