Thursday 18 August 1994

Inauguration - Chapter Five

Watt stood in his quarters, in full ambassadorial robes, in front of his mirror. He stood looking at himself, reflecting on all that he had done in his long life, and all that he had accomplished. As he did this Duncan McCloud entered. McCloud was in his dress uniform, and he stood at the doorway and watched Watt.
    “Nearly everyone is at the reception.” said McCloud. “Well, everyone apart from us that is.”
    Watt did not answer.
    “Is everything alright?” asked McCloud.
    “Sure.” replied Watt. “Everything’s just fine.”
    Watt turned around to face McCloud.
    “Do you remember when we first met?” he asked.
    “Like it was yesterday.” said McCloud. “Magus had just been to see me after Tessa’s funeral, asking for my help in protecting the acolytes. It was then that he took me to meet you and your friends.”
    “Yes, and you still have the ponytail and unshaven look.” said Watt. “Not bad for the commander-in-chief. Come on, let’s get this over with.”

    Watt walked towards the door.
    “Where’s Tom?”
    “He’s already in the hall. Magus was on his way down there when I came here to get you. Those two be me important, but it’s you they’ve come to see.”
    McCloud followed Watt into the corridor.
    “You do realise that you don’t need your dress uniform, don’t you?”
    “Of course, but as C-in-C I have to make a good impression!”

    As McCloud had told Watt nearly everyone was now at the reception. Magus’ canine companions had gone on ahead of their master. Teddy was the first to enter the hall. Some dignitaries were a little shocked to see a Border Collie running through the hall on it’s own.
    “Look at that!” said Mrs. Troi. “That nice dog running around on it’s own. What can Magus be thinking?”
    Mrs. Troi kneeled down, held her arm out, and started top make clicking noises with her tongue.
    “Mother, I don’t think that’s a good idea.” said Deanna.
    Teddy walked towards Mrs. Troi.
    “Nonsense!” she said. “He’s just a cute little puppy!”
    Teddy, recognising Deanna Troi, sat near her.
    “Hello Teddy. How are you?”
    “Now now, little one. He’s only a dog. He doesn’t understand you.”
    Mrs. Troi began to pat Teddy on the head.
    “Now now, little cutie, has that Mister Magus gone and left you on your own, has he?”
    Teddy stared at Mrs. Troi.
    “Madam, kindly stop patting my head, and cease talking to me as if I were a poodle!”
    Mrs. Troi was shocked, and she suddenly stood upright. Deanna had a huge smile on her face.
    “I tried to warn you, Mother. Teddy is not a normal dog.”
    “Hugh, what next? A targ with an I.Q. of three hundred?”
    “Klingon targs can be somewhat repulsive.” said Teddy. “Dogs and cats are far more agreeable.”
    The attention of those gathered was diverted then when Ambassador Magus and Commodore Connor McCloud entered. Both of them had many old and close friends in attendance. As soon as they entered they were greeted by many, and many wanted to shake their hands.
    “I see the Ambassador has arrived.” said Mrs. Troi. “Perhaps now is the time to introduce myself.”
    Deanna grabbed her mother by her arm.
    “Leave it, Mother.” said Deanna. “He won’t be interested!”
    “Perhaps you’re right.” said Mrs. Troi. “I’ll let him say hello to his friends first.
    Not everyone was pleased to see Magus and McCloud. In one corner of the hall Captain Queeg, Captain Solkun and Alen the Seer stood talking.
    “I see the Commodore is here.” said Solkun.
    “Yeah, one of the new President’s ‘yes’ men.” said Queeg. “Don’t you find it interesting that all of the top government positions have been filled by immortals, old friends of his. Present company excepted, of course.”
    “I know what you mean.” said Alen. “Connor and Duncan McCloud are not even from a Federation planet, and Leacock has spent most of the past hundred years on the Time of Legends. And as for Ro Laren, well you know my views on Bajorans. They’ll be asking the Federation to run their stupid planet for them next.”
    Watt and Duncan McCloud were now walking down the corridor towards the hall. When they were only a few hundred years away from the entrance Watt stopped.
    “Nervous?” asked McCloud.
    “I haven’t been this nervous since my wedding day.” said Watt.
    “I know. I remember.”
    “I wasn’t even this nervous on election day. Well come on. We’ve got people to meet.”
    Watt and McCloud continued on their way until they came to the entrance of the hall. When they entered all of the talking stopped and was soon replaced by hand clapping. The new President received a standing ovation as he and McCloud walked onto the podium where they joined Connor and Leacock. Watt took up a position at the rostrum. The ovation continued as Watt looked around at those gathered, a broad smile on his face. This was probably the proudest moment of his entire centuries-spanning life. Watt then raised his hand, motioning those present to be quiet.
    “Ladies and gentlemen, I thank you for your ovation.” he said. “This has to be the proudest moment of my life. As tonight’s reception is meant to be an informal gathering I will leave the long speech until tomorrow. All I would like to say is welcome to Babylon 5, all of you, and thank you for being here. I will try to speak to as many of you as I possibly can, but I make no promises. All that is now left to say is…eat, drink, and be merry!”
    Watt bowed his head slightly, and the crowd began to clap again as Watt and his entourage left the podium and began to mingle with those gathered. At his side Ro was concerned.
    “Are you this is wise?” she asked.
    “Commander, I’ve spent four hundred years dealing with hostile forces. I’m sure a few well-wishers won’t do me any harm!”
    While Watt walked around the hall meeting some of his supporters Magus took the opportunity to taste some of the food. He stood at the buffet tables and was about to tuck in when he felt a tap on his shoulder.
    “Yes, how can I help…”
    He turned round to see the smiling face of Lwaxana Troi standing in front of him. She had the sort of smile on her face that would send a shudder through the proudest of Klingon warriors.
    “Ambassador Magus? I don’t believe we’ve met before. I’m Lwaxana Troi, daughter of the fifth house of Betazed, holder of the Sacred Chalice of Reeks, heir to the Holy Rings of Betazed.”
    Mrs. Troi was expecting a swift reply. Magus let out a huge sigh and reached into his tailcoat pocket.
    “Mrs. Troi, it would take me far too long to verbally list my accomplishments, so, just for you…”
    Magus took out a small green book from his pocket. He handed it to Mrs. Troi.
    “This book lists all of my accomplishments. I hope you will spend many happy hours reading it. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I mist…mingle!”
    Magus raised his eyebrows for a second and smiled, before leaving Mrs. Troi alone with her new gift. As Magus walked away he was approached by Captain Picard.
    “May I ask a favour of you Ambassador?” Picard asked. “Can you tell me, how did you manage to shut her up?”
    “My dear Captain, I have been dealing with women such as Mrs. Troi for centuries. In my experience women only want to know me for one reason, my mithril mine on Earth and the subsequent riches it produces. If you want to keep her out of your way I suggest you become a pauper!”
    From afar Sinclair, Ivanova, and the resident telepath, Talia Winters, watched as Watt laughed and joked with the guests.
    “He seems to be doing well.” said Sinclair.
    “I agree.” said Ivanova. “It seems that most of his policies are well liked. I myself agree with his views on the Romulan situation. It’s about time we opened talks with them.”
    “And what about the Psi-Corps?” asked Winters. “I’m sure you know what could happen if he disbands the program.”
    “I’m well aware of what could happen.” said Ivanova. “And I believe the President is right. The academy on Betazed is more than capable of educating telepaths from Earth.”
    Meanwhile, young Wesley Crusher was admiring the buffet along with his mother.
    “I’ve never seen so much food.” he said. “This is definitely the best spread I’ve ever seen.”
    “It’s a pity we don’t have an election more often.” said Dr. Crusher.
    Then young Ensign Crusher went to turn quickly, but he found himself blocked by someone in his way. The plate of food he was carrying went all over the front of the person he had bumped into.
    “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to…”
    Crusher stopped when he saw the face of the man he had bumped into. It was none other than Ambassador Magus! Young Crusher was rendered speechless. Some would say that this was a good thing.
    “I’m very sorry Ambassador.” said Dr. Crusher. “My son wasn’t looking where he was going. It won’t happen again.”
    “I should hope not.” said Magus.
    Magus moved his hand to his chest and moved it downwards, casting a spell to remove the stain.
    “See, there is no harm done Ensign.” he said. “But just to teach you a lesson…”
    Magus moved his hand towards Crusher’s uniform. He moved his hand downwards, and the food stains that were on his tailcoat seconds ago now appeared on Crusher’s Starfleet uniform.
    “Egg mayonnaise does not go with Starfleet red.” said Magus. “Do not worry Ensign. The stain will remove itself…”
    Crusher looked down at his uniform as the stain slowly vanished.
    “…in a few seconds.” Magus continued.
    “How did that happen?” Crusher asked.
    “A master of the mystic arts can do almost anything.” said Magus.
    And with that Magus left mother and son alone near the buffet.
    “Do you know who that was Mom?” asked Crusher.
    “I have met Ambassador Magus a number of times.” said Dr. Crusher. “And I think it’s wise to look were you are going when he is around!”


No comments:

Post a Comment