Monday 31 December 2007

Mick Foley's Have a Nice Day - Book Review

Having been a wrestling fan for most of my life, I was very interested to read this book. I must admit that I wasn't a huge fan of Foley the wrestler before I read this book. Afterwards, not only was I an even bigger fan of Foley, the wrestler, but a great admirer of Foley the writer, and even greater admirer of Foley, the man.


From beginning to end this was an absolute joy to read. You could almost hear Mick Foley's voice as you read each and every word, from his early days playing lacrosse, to jumping off that roof, to becoming WWF champion.

This is perhaps one of the most well thought out books I have ever read, which is an amazing statement considering most of the book was written, longhand, without the aid of a typewriter or computer, and also on a trans-Atlantic flight. Each chapter, each paragraph, each word, made me glad that Mick dispensed with the services of his ghost writer. No one could have done this man's career any justice.

Now happily settled into retirement, Mick Foley has shown that he has another string to his bow. It's a string I hope to see far more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment