Featured post

What Did Anglo-Force Look Like?

I've been playing around with one of those AI art generator things, generating images for some of the old Anglo-Force characters in a ...

Wednesday 2 October 2002

The Biggest Disappointment of my Life

Well, it's over. Today, I finally got the news I had been waiting over a week for.

    So let's cut to the chase - I didn't get the job. Archant, in their infinite wisdom, decreed that my writing ability alone just isn't enough for them.

    When I first opened the letter and saw that I had got the interview, I was gutted. I had such high hopes, because I thought that finally, after all these years, I would be able to make a living doing what I love, what's in my blood. It felt like I had most of the country behind me when I did this test.

    But I guess it wasn't to be. I guess that writing ability alone isn't good enough to get onto the EDP/EEN team. Looks like my lack of knowledge with regards to the Roman Empire was my downfall.

So what's left for me now? I will always have a home with WAW, that much is obvious. A local publication, "The Crab Line", has rejected my work, claiming it is "too personal". There is the possibility of freelance work with a wrestling magazine, but that could be a long way off.

    So with this disappointment behind me, I'm left with the thought that perhaps, this time next year, I should try the test again. Treat this year's exercise as a sort of dry run. Who knows, perhaps this time next year I'll be announcing myself as "Julian Radbourne - trainee journalist."

No comments:

Post a Comment