Thursday 19 May 1994

A Leap Too Far - Chapter Three

Beckett sat at the desk in the ready room, a broad smile on his face. He sat looking at the computer screen on the desk. A few minutes passed before the doorway from the waiting room opened and Al stepped through.
    “Al, you should have seen me in there!” said Beckett. “This has got to be one of the most enjoyable leaps I have ever had.”
    Beckett noticed the solemn look on Al’s face.
    “What’s wrong?”
    “You, that what’s wrong. This whole situation is what’s wrong.”

    “What do you mean?”
    “I’ve been talking to the guy in the waiting room.”
    “You mean Captain Watt.”
    “Yeah, him. It seems these aliens only wanted to speak to this guy for one reason as far as I can tell: to pop him one.”
    “Kill him? Why?”
    “It appeared they haven’t exactly got along well in the past, and from what I can tell they used those prisoners to get him here.”
    Then a call came through.
    “Captain Watt, please report to the bridge.”
    Beckett got to his feet and walked towards the door.
    “I still don’t like this.” said Al.
    “These aliens have the utmost respect for Captain Watt. Why would they want to kill him?”
    Beckett entered the bridge. Pendragon briefed him.
    “Long range sensors have picked up two Monstron war ships coming towards us at high warp.”
    “Open a channel.” ordered Beckett.
    “Channel open.” said Amarus.
    The image of Colonel Karloff appeared on the screen.
    “Our sensors have detected two of your ships coming towards us at high speed.” said Beckett. “How can you explain this?”
    “You have angered us with your display, Captain. We thought you were an honourable man. For that you will pay.”
    “I told you.” said Al.
    As all of this went on Magus entered the bridge and took his usual seat.
    “You used those prisoners as a play to get me here, didn’t you Colonel?” said Beckett. “You had no intention of handing them over, did you? If my assumption is correct those prisoners are already dead, aren’t they?”
    “How did you know?”
    “An educated guess, Colonel. Those men were on a peaceful mission. My superiors were hoping to establish this colony as the start of a peace process. It is obvious to me that you don’t want peace, and that you want only one thing…my life.”
    “You have greatly angered those of the Monstron High Council.” sneered Karloff. “If it wasn’t for you the Monstron Empire would rule over half the known galaxy. And you were right, Captain, the prisoners were killed after a lengthy interrogation.”
    Karloff signalled to one of his crewmen.
    “They are powering up their weapons.” reported Amarus.
    “I give you a choice Captain.” he said. “You can be destroyed along with the rest of your crew, or your crew will be spared if you surrender yourself to me.”
    Beckett seemed to think long and hard for a few moments.
    “You cane expect me on your ship in a few minutes Colonel.”
    “You can’t be serious Sam!” said Al. “Don’t do it!”
    Beckett walked towards the turbo-lift. Al raced after him.
    “You can’t seriously be thinking of going over there!” screamed Al.
    “I have no other choice.” said Beckett. “The lives of over a thousand men and women are at risk here.”
    While all of this was going on nobody noticed that Magus had his eyes closed. A few seconds later something appeared on Amarus’ sensor panel.
    “I don’t know how, but two starships have just appeared on the short-range sensors.” he reported.
    Beckett turned around and walked over to the tactical station.
    “Two more have just appeared.” he continued. “On a direct intercept course.”
    “It appears that you have been outgunned, Colonel Karloff.” said Beckett. “The odds are now in my favour. Six ships against three is pretty big odds. I would advise you to leave Federation territory as soon as possible.”
    “What about the prisoners?”
    “Forget the prisoners. They were trespassing on Federation territory without permits. They will face a court martial. I think they will be in a penal camp for a long time.”
    A disgruntled look appeared on Karloff’s face.
    “Very well Watt. You have won this one. But there will be other times you will not win.”
    The screen went blank. The image soon changed to one of the three Monstron vessels moving back towards their own territory.
    “Mr. Amarus, please send a communication to Starfleet Command.” said Beckett. “Inform them that the negotiations broke down completely, and that the prisoners were tortured and killed. I believe that puts them in violation of the Border Zone Treaty.”
    “Border Zone Treaty?” said Al. “What the hell is that?”
    “Please contact the other ships and thank them for their assistance.” said Beckett.
    Amarus looked at his sensor panel.
    “The ships are vanishing!” he said. “It was as if they were never there!”
    Beckett looked at Magus. Magus had a rye smile on his face.
    “The nearest ship is three days away.” he said. “I thought you might need some help!”
    “The sly old dog!” said Al.
    “Captain, may I speak to you in private?” asked Magus.
    “Certainly.” said Beckett.
    Magus and Beckett walked towards the ready room, closely followed by Al. After the door closed behind them Magus sat on the sofa.
    “You can speak now Admiral Calevicchi.” said Magus.
    “You could see me?” said Al. “How?”
    “I am a wizard Admiral.” said Magus. “I know many things. I trust I was of help to you Dr. Beckett?”
    “How did you know I was here.” asked Beckett.
    “As soon as you arrived.” Magus replied. “I was in my quarters when I picked up a strange energy source. I have not detected such a source since the mid-twenty-first century, when Project Quantum Leap was discontinued.
    “In what year exactly?”
    “I’m afraid I can’t tell you that Doctor. That is something I’m afraid you are going to have to find out for yourself.”
    Beckett sat on the sofa next to Magus.
    “Don’t get palsy Sam.” said Al. “You should be leaping any time now.”
    “I’ve got to know this Al.” said Beckett. “And Magus may be the only one who can tell me. When I first designed Quantum Leap I thought I could only time travel throughout my own lifetime. Why was I sent here to the twenty-fourth century?”
    “The first law of time forbids me from giving you the exact answer Doctor.” Magus replied. “But you may have perhaps answered the question yourself, in some way. As you said, the project enables you to travel within your own lifetime.”
    A shocked look appeared on Beckett’s face.
    “You mean that somehow I’m still alive in this….”
    Before Beckett could finish his sentence Magus again detected the energy that was produced during a leap. Before his eyes white energy enveloped Beckett’s body, as well as Al’s holographic image. The process lasted only for a few seconds. It was a few seconds later when Magus looked at where Beckett had been sitting. A smile appeared on his face as Watt ‘returned’. Watt spent the next few seconds looking around the ready room. A smile appeared on Watt’s face.
    “Welcome back Captain.” said Magus.
    Watt looked at Magus and smiled.
    “It’s good to be back.” he said. “I hope nothing extraordinary happened while I was away!”


No comments:

Post a Comment