Friday 3 December 2021

Renegades - Civil War Chapter Thirty-Three

    Captain Sheridan arrived in the Operations Centre of Babylon 5 when news reached him that a vessel was coming through the jump-gate. The vessel had been expected for a number of days, for it marked a first in the history of the Babylon stations.
    Sheridan joined Ivanova on the observation platform. They watched as a Klingon Bird of Prey came through the jump-gate.
    “They are hailing us Captain.” Ivanova reported.
    “On screen.”
    The image of an aged greying Klingon warrior appeared on the screen before Sheridan. At first sight Sheridan could tell that the Klingon was slightly the worse for wear.
    “I am Kor, your new Klingon ambassador. But why anyone would want to serve on this giant bucket of bolts only Feklar would know!”
    “I am Captain John Sheridan, commanding officer of the station. Welcome to…”
    “Cut the nonsense Captain. Just tell me where I can dock my ship, and let me find some Aldebran whisky!”
    A short time later Sheridan arrived at the customs entrance and waited for a number of minutes before he saw Kor walking onto the station. Sheridan approached Kor, extending his hand as a token of friendship. Kor did not do likewise.
    “First tell me one thing Sheridan!” said Kor. “I was told that Magus was here. Where is he now?”
    “He was here, but that was weeks ago. Why do you want him?”
    “Because eighty years ago we took a blood oath. The time has come for him to honour that oath!”
    Kor then pushed past Sheridan and made his way not to his quarters but to the bar. He then began to mutter to himself.
    “A pity that Watt is dead! As one of the strongest he would have killed the Albino with his bare hands!”

    On station Deep Space Nine Chief of Security Odo strode along the Promenade, keeping his usual eye on the comings and goings on the station. Then his thought process was interrupted by the thing that usually annoyed him - Quark.
    “Did you tell Sisko my idea?” the Ferengi asked.
    “And what idea would that be?”
    “You should know Odo!”
    “You mean your idea about using the station’s monitors to advertise your bar? I did, and he rejected it.”
    “How could he? It would have been a great opportunity! It would have brought people to the station!”
    “And to your bar!”
    “I wouldn’t have been the only one who would have profited! You could use the monitors to advertise other establishments on the station!”
    “But you would have insisted that your bar would take priority! The answer is the same Quark, no!”
    Odo then began to speed up, leaving an annoyed Ferengi in his wake.

    In his quarters Jake Sisko was busy studying when his father, Commander Benjamin Sisko, entered.
    “How’s it going Jake?”
    The younger Sisko was preoccupied with his work. He didn’t hear his father.
    “I said how’s it going?”
    Jake finally looked up.
    “Sorry Dad, I was just busy with my work.”
    Sisko picked up his son’s notes and looked at them.
    “Your science project? I thought you’d found something to do for this.”
    “I had, but I wasn’t happy with it.”
    “Then perhaps I can help you with this. Tell me, if you could do anything for your science project what would you do?”
    Jake thought for a moment, and then a broad grin appeared on his face.
    “Explore the Gamma Quadrant!”
    “Then that’s what we’ll do!”
    Jake couldn’t believe his ears. He was actually getting the chance to do what he’d wanted to do ever since the wormhole had been discovered.
    “This is great Dad! Nog will be thrilled!”
    The smile that had been clearly visible on Sisko’s face quickly vanished when he heard Nog’s name.
    “Nog! What does he have to do with this?”
    “He’s my partner in this project! He’ll be thrilled when he hears about this!”
    Jake leapt to his feet and went to leave when Sisko called out to him.
    “Wait a minute! I was hoping this trip would give us some time alone together!”
    “But Nog has to come along! Nog’s having trouble finding a project, and Mrs. O’Brien said that he has to be a full partner or nothing!”
    “Couldn’t he help analyse the data when we return?”
    “No Dad! He has to be a full partner!”
    Sisko realised he was fighting a losing battle. He began to back down.
    “Alright then! Nog can come too!”
    “Great Dad!”
    Jake gave his father a big hug and then raced out of the quarters. Sisko then began to wonder what he had let himself in for.

    On board the Flying Scotsman Pendragon sat in the command chair as the image of the Liberator appeared on the screen.
    “I think we should raise our shields.” said Winthorn.
    “No.” said Magus. “This is meant to be a peaceful meeting.”
    “Agreed.” added Pendragon. “Archer, open a channel to the ship.”
    The image of Roj Blake soon appeared on the screen before them.
    “I am Captain Arthur Pendragon, in temporary command of this vessel.”
    “I know who you are Captain.” said Blake. “I’ve ready many of your reports from your time on the Valkyrie, but we haven’t time to discuss them now. Is Magus with you?”
    Magus got up from his position at the science station.
    “I am here Commander Blake. I think we should meet in person. I know of a way in which you can relay every piece of the information you have. Give us your coordinates and we’ll beam you aboard.”
    “I would prefer to meet you over here Ambassador.”
    “As you wish, Commander. And please, call me Doctor now. I ceased being a Federation ambassador once Servalan took a dislike to me.”
    “I am transmitting the coordinates now.”
    The coordinates appeared on Greenleaf’s sensor panel.
    “Relay them to the transporter room.” Pendragon ordered. “Then Winthorn, Archer, you’re with me.”
    “I’m afraid not Captain.” said Magus. “I must do this alone. Besides, you are needed here.”
    Magus soon beamed over to the Liberator. A smile appeared on Blake’s face as he arrived. The two shook hands.
    “It is good to finally meet you Doctor.” said Blake. “May I introduce you to the rest of my crew?”
    “I know them already Commander, at least from their files. I studied them en-route to this rendezvous.”
    “Let’s get this over with.” said Avon.
    “Patience is a virtue, Mister Avon.” said Magus. “Now Commander, to get all of the information I will conduct a mind scan. I will read all of your thoughts, gather all of the information you have for me.”
    “Sounds like a Vulcan mind-meld.” said Blake.
    “It is similar.”
    Then Zen suddenly came to life.
    “Sensors report a Federation starship heading towards this location at a speed of warp seven.”
    “A Federation starship!” shouted Avon. “I knew this was a bad idea! They tipped them off!”
    “They did no such thing!” said Blake. “Zen, which ship is it?”
    “The registry shows it to be the U.S.S. Lohengrin, under the command of Captain Jeffrey Sinclair.”
    “Charge up the blasters!” Avon ordered.
    “No!” shouted Magus. “Not on the Lohengrin! Not on Sinclair! I will not be a party to his murder!”
    “Then we will all die!” Avon added.




No comments:

Post a Comment