Sunday 14 November 2021

The Passing of a Great Man - Civil War Chapter Thirteen

    The Starfleet Attorney General’s office did not usually receive a call from the President, but today it did. It was a good job that Admiral Gregory Quinn was there today. The call came in whilst he was in a meeting with one of the office’s brightest prospects, Lieutenant Commander Roj Blake.
    “What do you mean President Servalan is calling me?” said Quinn. “Okay, put it on the viewer.”
    The small terminal on Quinn’s desk came to life with the smiling face of President Servalan.
    “Madame President!” Quinn smiled. “What a pleasure! What can I do for you?”
    “I want to discuss Thomas Leacock’s case. Has defending counsel been appointed yet?”
    “No. The prosecuting counsel has. Commander Thomas Mulaney is working on his case now.”
    “I want Leacock’s case brought forward.” said Servalan. “I want him prosecuted within the next week.”
    “With all due respect that isn’t possible.” Blake interjected. “We are currently working on the Tarak Queeg case. We’ve been working on it for months, ever since the Babylon 5 incident.”
    “I am giving you the order to put every other case on hold.” said Servalan. “Leacock’s case takes top priority. I want him made an example of. Well, you have your orders, so I’ll leave you to it. Servalan out.”
    The screen went blank. Quinn looked very bemused.
    “I don’t understand this.” he said. “Commander, what counsels are free at the moment?”
    “I think Leo Rumpole could be free.” Blake replied.
    “Good. Contact him as soon as possible, and then clear the decks! Orders are orders! Leacock’s case is our top priority!”



    On board the Valkyrie Watt sat in his quarters when a call came through from the bridge. It was from Tompkins.
    “Sorry to bother you Captain, but we’re getting a call for you, from the Scotsman. It’s from Ambassador Magus.”
    Watt quickly got to his feet.
    “Put it through Mister Tompkins.”
    Watt seated himself at his desk and switched on his terminal. The solemn looking image of Magus appeared on the screen before him.
    “Hello James. How are you?”
    “As well as can be expected I suppose. I take it you’ve heard the news.”
    “A short time ago. I can’t quite believe it, any of it! Why would Thomas want to kill James? It doesn’t sound possible somehow!”
    “I don’t believe it either, especially after what I’ve just found out. We picked up a Soul Hunter not long ago. He says he was here to collect Pops’  soul, but there was no soul to collect!”
    “Are you serious? Then he isn’t dead! If we can prove that we can get Thomas released. If James wasn’t killed then Thomas can’t be tried for murder! Where is the Soul Hunter now? Is he willing to testify in court?”
    “That’s the thing. Not long after he left us his ship exploded!”
    “Was he attacked?”
    “Our scans showed a malfunction in his impulse engines.”
    “Enough of this. Tell me James, is anyone arranging a funeral or memorial service?”
    “Our new President is handling the arrangements. It’s going to be held in Cromer, at the statue site. It looks like everyone who is everyone could be attending.”
    “I’m afraid I won’t be able to. The engines on the Scotsman need a complete overhaul. It’ll take at least a week!”
    “I understand. I know you’ll be thinking of him. I still have this nagging feeling though that he’s not really dead!”
    “It is a feeling I share with you, but I’m afraid we can’t do anything about it. Keep a brave face on things James. You have to be strong now, not only for yourself but for your son!”
    “I understand. I’ll speak to you later. Watt out.”
    Watt then leaned back in his chair, still wondering if his Pops was really dead.

    John Sheridan sat in his office, busily operating his computer terminal when Ivanova entered.
    “I’ve just come from MedLab.” she said. “Garibaldi’s still the same.”
    Sheridan did not answer, instead continuing to operate the computer.
    “Did you hear what I said?” Ivanova asked.
    “I heard Commander.” Sheridan replied rather abruptly. “It’s just that I think I’ve found something rather interesting about our Frankenstein friend. Here, have a look at this.”
    Sheridan turned the screen around so it faced Ivanova. She began to read what was on the screen.
    “The cargo came directly from Earth. The seal is that of the Federation Senate.”
    “I know.” said Sheridan. “There is no signature, but I checked the access code. Do you recognise the number?”
    Ivanova looked at the number and shook her head.
    “It doesn’t look familiar.”
    “I managed to pull in a few favours at the Attorney General’s office. They confirmed what I found out. The code belongs to our new President. Servalan authorised the transport of Frankenstein’s cargo!”
    “But why? Frankenstein’s work was illegal!”
    “I don’t know, but I intend to find out.”
    “May I suggest something though Captain. Leave it a few days. President Watt is barely dead. If this is some sort of scandal I hardly think now is the right time to break such a story.”
    Sheridan leaned back in his chair and sighed.
    “Perhaps you’re right. I may know someone, however, who could help us. Try to find out where the U.S.S. Flying Scotsman is.”
    “Magus’ ship? Last I heard he was at Starbase Earhart for the trade talks, but they’ve now been postponed indefinitely.”
    “All the same, try to get me Doctor Magus on the wire. He may be able to do something with this information.”
    “Aye sir.”
    And with that Ivanova left Sheridan along. Once again he checked the information he had uncovered. It sent a chill down his spine.

    Admiral Duncan McCloud sat in the Presidential Office in Paris, waiting for his first meeting since the death of his old friend. He was so deep in thought that he failed to notice Commodore Connor McCloud and Commander Ro enter the room.
    “Hello Duncan.” said Connor.
    There was no reply from the Admiral.
    “Duncan, are you alright?” Connor said, placing a hand on Duncan’s shoulder.
    “Oh…yeah, I’m fine. I was just thinking about the last time I was in this office.”
    “I hope our new President arrives soon.” said Ro. “The sooner we get this over with the better.”
    The doors swung open, and Servalan, wearing a long white dress, entered the office. Behind her was another man wearing a black uniform. Servalan seated herself at the desk that once belonged to James Watt. The man stood by her side.
    “I’m glad you could all attend this meeting.” she said. “I know this is a hard time for all of us. You know Lieutenant Commander Sleer, of course.”
    “Commander.” said Duncan.
    Sleer bowed his head.
    “First of all.” said Servalan. “I am personally taking charge of the funeral arrangements for President Watt.”
    “But there was no body.” said Connor. “How can you have a funeral?”
    “A memorial service then.” said Servalan. “The service itself will be held in Cromer, in the shadow of the statue that was erected in the twenty-first century. Several dignitaries from all over the quadrant have said they will attend, so security may prove a problem. That is why I have asked Commander Sleer here. He will work with you and Admiral McCarthy Commander Ro.”
    “I’ll have to juggle a hell of a lot of things around, what with these reports you want from me. I don’t see how I’ll have the time.”
    “Then you will make the Time Commander.” said Servalan, staring at Ro, showing her obvious dislike for the Bajoran.
    “This may seem a little premature.” said Duncan. “But what about our positions?”
    “At the moment I will make no changes to the current command structure. I will be making some changes however. The Romulan peace talks will be put on hold.”
    “Until when?” asked Connor.
    “Until I have my house in order.” said Servalan. “And until I have a chance to personally review the situation the plans for the dissolution of the Psi-Corps will also be put on hold.”
    “You can’t be serious.” said Duncan. “The Betazed government has already spent millions on the academy. That’s just money down the drain!
    “I will see that the government of Betazed is recompensed, Admiral. Now, if there is nothing else, this meeting will be adjourned. I still have much to organise regarding this….memorial service. You are dismissed.”
    The other three got to her feet. Then Servalan called Duncan back.
    “By the way Admiral. I’ve been told by Captain Sheridan on Babylon 5 that Ambassador G’Kar has gone missing. It seems that his attaché, Na’Toth, will be representing the Narns at the funeral. Is there any way you can find out where G’Kar is?”
    “If G’Kar doesn’t want to be found then he won’t be.” said Duncan. “There is nothing I can do.”
    “Very well Admiral. Commander Sleet, please try to contact the Narn  Homeworld for me. Tell that I am offended they are only sending a diplomatic attaché to President Watt’s memorial service.
    Sleer nodded and walked past Duncan before leaving the officer. Servalan was annoyed when he did not leave.
    “That will be all Admiral McCloud.”
    Duncan turned around and then lift the office, wondering how much longer he would have a job.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment