Sunday 14 November 2021

The Passing of a Great Man - Civil War Chapter Twelve

    Federation starship U.S.S. Valkyrie slowly moved towards Jupiter, where it rendezvoused with the U.S.S. Pinafore. The mood on both ships was one of sadness, especially for the C.O. of the Valkyrie, Captain James Watt, descendant of the now-dead President Watt.
    As soon as the two ships met up Captain Spalding of the Pinafore beamed over to the Valkyrie. He was greeted by Commander Sutek.
    “Hello Commander.” said Spalding. “Under normal circumstances I’d say it was good to see you, but I know why you’re here. How is Jim?”
    “As well as can be expected.” Sutek replied, showing Spalding out of the transporter room. “At the moment he is putting a brave face on things. He’s trying to be strong for the crew.”
    A short time later they arrived on the bridge where Lieutenant Commander Tompkins had taken command. Sutek and Spalding approached the Ready Room, and the Vulcan pressed the door buzzer. A voice from within beckoned them inside. When they entered they saw a rather solemn-looking Watt seated on the sofa. As soon as he saw who it was he got to his feet.
    “Spalding, good to see you.” he said.
    The two captains shook hands.
    “If you have no more need for me, Captain…” said Sutek.
    “Certainly.” said Watt. “You can return to the bridge.”
    Sutek bowed his head and then relieved Tompkins of command. Spalding and Watt then sat down on the sofa.
    “How are you Jim?” asked Spalding. “I know this can’t be an easy time for you. Heck, everyone thought the guy was immortal!”
    Watt paused for a few moments before he replied.
    “I just can’t believe it happened! After all the times he’s faced death and come out fighting I can’t believe he was killed in an explosion, an explosion caused by Leacock of all people!”
    “I know. I didn’t believe it when I first heard it. There are rumours going around that it’s some kind of Istarian plot!”
    “You can’t be serious! That’s utter crap! Pops and the Istari go back hundreds of years! They wouldn’t want to kill him!”
    “As I said it’s just a rumour. Anyway, you probably want to know the results of the scans we’ve been carrying out of the area.
    Watt nodded.
    “It definitely was not an engine malfunction, as Hidoshi said. Someone had attached an explosive to the main warp core, and if they tried to send any distress signal they would have been jammed!”
    “But who could have done this?”
    “He was around for a long time. He’d made plenty of enemies. I have a feeling this investigation could take months!”
    “When will you complete your scans?”
    “It’ll take another day to take a full scan.”
    “We could speed up the process if our ships worked together.”
    “I agree, but only on one condition. You need rest Jim, and plenty of it. You look like you haven’t slept in days!”
    “You sound just like Counsellor Trospheo. Alright then. I’ll inform Commander Sutek, and you can begin work in the next hour or so.”



    Starfleet Two arrived in orbit around Earth, and shortly afterwards new President Servalan beamed down to Starfleet Command in San Francisco. She was greeted by Admiral McCarthy of Starfleet Security and the Presidential Chief of Security Lieutenant Commander Ro Laren.
    “Welcome home Madame President.” said McCarthy.
    “I understand you have Thomas Leacock in custody.” said Servalan. “Has he been charged yet?”
    “Yes he has.” McCarthy replied.
    “I want him tried as soon as possible.” said Servalan. “The sooner we deal with his like the sooner we can get started with other business. Commander Ro, I want you placed in charge of the investigation. I want you to work with Ven Glynd of the Justice Department.”
    “With all due respect an investigation could take months.”
    “I want your report in two days.” said Servalan. “I also want a separate report telling me how the Presidential Chief of Security let someone plant an explosive on Starfleet One. This is the second time someone has got past your security arrangements Commander. If I find out you were somehow involved with James Watt’s death then you will face the same charges as Leacock!”
    “There is only one way someone could have gotten past my teams.” said Ro. “Someone was working from the inside, I’m sure of it.”
    “And I’m sure that I’ll have both of your reports in two days. You should be receiving a transmission from the Pinafore soon, regarding their scans.”
    “The Pinafore has been joined by the Valkyrie.” said McCarthy. “Their report will now come in sooner than first expected.
    “Ah, yes, Captain Watt. I suppose I shall have to speak to him soon about the funeral arrangements. He’ll probably want it in Cromer.”
    Servalan let out a mock sigh.
    “How could such a great man be paid a great tribute in such a small town?”

    The U.S.S. Flying Scotsman limped into orbit around Starbase Earhart. The old engines on the Oberth-class starship whined as they powered down. On the bridge Doctor Magus sat in silent though as the standard orbit was achieved.
    “Standard orbit achieved.” reported Commander Winthorn at Ops.
    Magus did not reply.
    “Doctor?” said Winthorn.
    “My apologies.” said Magus.
    A call came through from Engineering. It was from Captain Scott.
    “Can you come down here a minute, Doctor? I’m afraid I’ve got some bad news for you.”
    A few minutes later Magus stood in Engineering with Scotty and Lieutenant Sonia Gomez.
    “The news isn’t good.” said Scotty. “The dilithium crystals in the warp chamber are shot, and the cavourite drive is getting unstable. I’m going to have to take both of them offline.”
    “How long will repairs take?” asked Magus. “We have to get back to Earth.”
    “That, I’m afraid, will take a long time.” Scotty replied. “If I can get help from Earhart it’ll take at least a week!”
    “Which in real time is?”
    “A week! I wouldn’t lie to you at a time like this Doctor! I’m sorry, but we’re not going anywhere!”
    Magus placed his hand on Scotty’s shoulder.
    “I understand. Contact the starbase and try to get all the hands you can.”
    A short time later Magus arrived back on the bridge.
    “Mister Drathro, please try to contact the Valkyrie. I want to speak to Captain Watt personally.”

    On board the Valkyrie Watt entered the bridge just as Sutek was about to call him.
    “The sensors have just picked up something of interest Captain.” he said. “Mister Amarus?”
    “It’s a ship sir, on the far side of Jupiter.” Amarus reported.
    “On screen.” said Watt.
    The image of the alien vessel appeared on the main viewer.
    “I am checking the data banks now sir.” said Sutek.
    A minute passed before Sutek had the information he was looking for.
    “Records show that the last ship of this kind was encountered near Epsilon Three two years ago.”
    “Near Babylon 5 you mean.” said Watt.
    “Yes.” Sutek replied. “Records identify it as a Soul Hunter’s vessel.”
    “Put is on an intercept course.” Watt ordered. “As soon as we are in range lock on the tractor beam and then beam him aboard. That Soul Hunter has a lot of questions to answer.”
    A short time later Watt was on his way to the brig. En route he was stopped by Doctor Singh.
    “I understand we’ve just intercepted a Soul Hunter’s ship. Did he have anything to do with the explosion?”
    “That’s what I hope to find out.” replied Watt. “That’s why I’m going to question him personally.”
    Singh then grabbed Watt’s arm.
    “Now hold on a minute Jim.” he said. “You haven’t slept in nearly two days. You’re in no shape to question anyone!”
    Watt stared at him coldly.
    “Don’t you understand? I have to do it! For him!”
    He then continued on his way down the corridor, with Singh chasing after him. A short time later the Soul Hunter was in the brig. Watt entered, and the Soul Hunter seemed pleased to see him.
    “You are Captain Watt, are you not?”
    “I am. I want to ask you a few questions. Were you here when Starfleet One exploded?”
    “I was. I knew that there would be a death here soon. My kind sent me here to collect the soul of your ancestor, your President!”
    “Then you were here when the ship exploded. I have heard stories of some of your kind killing to take the souls of the dead.”
    “That is not my way Captain. I was sent here to merely observe and collect. To collect the soul of your President would have been a great prize. He is revered throughout the galaxy!”
    “Answer my question damn it! Did you destroy the ship? Did you blow up Starfleet One so you could collect Pops’ soul?”
    The Soul Hunter seemed quite taken aback by Watt’s outburst.
    “I was merely her to perform a service. I was there to collect the soul of President James Watt, but there was no soul to collect!”
    “What are you saying? Pops had no soul?”
    “Souls can only be collected for a short time after death. I looked for his soul but I could find no trace of it!”
    “Maybe someone beat you to it.”
    “That is impossible. I was the only one of my kind here. There is only one explanation for this. There is only one reason I wasn’t able to collect his soul! He didn’t die!”
    “What do you mean? Billions of people saw him die!”
    “I tell you Captain, he didn’t die! Your President is still alive!”
    “Can you testify to that?”
    “I will do all I can.”
    Then Watt’s communicator sounded.
    “Go ahead.”
    “Commander Sutek here. We’ve just received our new orders Captain. We are to return to Earth. President Servalan would like to speak with you.”
    “Tell them we have a witness here.” said Watt.
    “The orders state that we are to return the Soul Hunter to his ship and return forthwith.”
    Watt looked at the Soul Hunter.
    “Very well Commander. Set a course for Earth in five minutes.”
    He then lowered the force-field and the Soul Hunter stepped out of his cell.
    “I may need your help again. Vice-President Leacock has been charged with Pops’ murder. Your testimony could clear his name.”
    “I would be very willing to help.”
    The Soul Hunter reached into his pocket and handed Watt a small device.
    “This is a transmitter. If you activate it I will answer the call. If I can help your friend I will.”
    The Soul Hunter was soon back aboard his ship. Watt watched from the pride as he left the solar system.
    “Sir, I’m picking up a massive energy surge in his impulse engines.” reported Amarus.
    Before they could do anything there was a huge explosion as the Soul Hunter’s ship went down, along with the piece of evidence that could help Leacock in his upcoming trial.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment