Thursday 25 November 2021

Renegades - Civil War Chapter Twenty-Seven

    After a brief stop at Deep Space Nine the Lohengrin neared the planet Onara in the de-militarized zone along the Federation/Cardassian border. Just the thought of being this close to Cardassian territory kept most of the crew on edge, so much so that Sinclair placed the ship on yellow alert.
    “We have achieved a standard orbit.” Riker reported from the Ops position.
    “Captain, we are being hailed.” Tarses reported.
    “On screen.” Shelby ordered.
    The image of a slightly-greying man appeared on the screen. Sinclair could tell he was of the Native American race on Earth.
    “Greetings Captain. My name is Chakotay. I am the liaison officer here. I was not informed of any Federation starships entering the zone.”
    “I am Captain Jeffrey Sinclair, commanding officer of the Lohengrin. Our mission is rather a delicate one Mister Chakotay. I’m trying to get in touch with a former Starfleet commander, Calvin Hudson. His last known whereabouts where in this system.”
    “I know of Calvin Hudson, but  I’ve never met him. I heard he was working with the Maquis.”
    “That is why I want to talk to him. I want to get to the bottom of this situation.”
    “Perhaps we had better talk in person Captain. I know someone who may be able to put you in touch with Hudson. I’ll give you the transporter co-ordinates.”
    Tarses looked at his panel as the signal came in.
    “Thank you Mister Chakotay. I’ll be seeing you shortly. Lohengrin out.”
    The transmission was ended. Sinclair stood up and walked towards the turbo-lift.
    “Riker, Tarses, Counsellor, you’re with me.”
    “With all due respect.” said Shelby. “I don not think you should lead the away team. Regulations state…”
    “This situation requires some diplomacy Commander.” said Sinclair. “And working on Babylon 5 has given me quite a bit of experience. I’m sure nothing can go wrong down there.”
    A short time later the away team beamed down into what appeared to be the town centre. The inhabitants of this colony seemed to be going about their everyday routines, but it was apparent they were a little uneasy about being close to the Cardassian border.
    Shortly afterwards Sinclair could see Chakotay approaching them. Chakotay extended his hand, and he and Sinclair shook.
    “Welcome to Onara, Captain.” he said. “It’s been quite a while since we had any Starfleet officers here.”
    Sinclair introduced his officers to Chakotay, and the Native American led them away to his office. As soon as the door closed behind them they found themselves surrounded by men and women brandishing phasers. Then, from out of the shadows stepped the man Sinclair had been looking for - Calvin Hudson.
    “You said you wanted to fine me, Captain.” he said. “Well, looks like you have!”
    “I’m sorry Captain.” said Chakotay. “I didn’t know anything about this.”
    “You’re lying.” said Alexander. “You set this up.”
    “I should have known that the Psi-Corp would have sent one of their flunkies sooner or later.” said Hudson. “Okay everyone, you can lower your weapons.”
    The others did as Hudson said.
    “Please, Captain, take a seat. You are here as our guests, not our enemies.”
    Hudson seated himself at the desk. Sinclair sat opposite.
    “So, Starfleet wants to get to the bottom of this ‘situation’, and they’ve sent you to negotiate. It’s been a long time since the Federation starship has entered the zone.”
    “Starfleet Command was hoping it wouldn’t have come to this.” said Sinclair. “But now it has.”
    “I know what you’re going to say. You want me to come back with you. But before you say anything else take a look at this.”
    Hudson handed Sinclair a computer pad which the Captain studied intently for a few moments.
    “It shows Cardassian shipping routes to their colonies in the zone.” said Hudson. “We attacked one of them…”
    “That’s one of the reasons we came here.”
    “And found this evidence. It had just finished delivering the final component of a meta-genic weapon, a weapon I believe they plan to use on our colonies.”
    “I’m not familiar with meta-genics.”
    “It’s a form of biological weapon.” said Riker. “When used it can wipe out the entire population of a planet in seventy-two hours. Then after four weeks the virus dissipates, leaving behind a planet full of cities and structures but without life.”
    “And if the Cardassians used a weapon like that on us we wouldn’t stand a chance.” Hudson added.
    “What do you think Counsellor?” Sinclair asked.
    “He’s telling the truth.”
    “Of course I’m telling the truth.” said Hudson.
    “I’ll make a deal with you.” said Sinclair. “Let me get in touch with the Cardassians and try to get to the bottom of this.”
    “Very well Captain. I hope you can, otherwise we’ll all be in trouble.”
    A short time later the away team left the office. As Hudson spoke with the others Chakotay tugged Riker’s arm.
    “Do they suspect anything yet?” he asked.
    “As far as they are concerned I’m just a normal Starfleet officer who just happens to look like Will Riker!”
    “As long as they don’t suspect anything then that is to our advantage. Remember, any information you can get, anything that can help us against the Cardassians, then you know how to reach me.”

    Istarix, kingdom and citadel of the Istari, towered shimmering in the ice of the northern pole of the Time. A vast herd of woolly rhinos grazed peacefully before the great shining gates. Within, however, sat a grouping of beings which could never be seen elsewhere.
    In the centre of the great ice hall stood a huge round table, cut in some arcane manner from a huge diamond. Around the table sat Magus, Ringulrun, Merlin, Gandalf and Radagast, the original members of the order, Mother Nature, the only other surviving Acolyte, the gods Zeus, Odin and Amun-ra, the elf Elron, the dwarf Balin, and representing humanity Aragorn, King Arthur and Captain Pendragon.
    Magus arose and looked around the company. Such was his diminutive stature that the gods all sat taller than he stood, but their respect for the little wizard was plain for all to see. He adjusted his spectacles and began.
    “My friends, this galaxy is plunging towards chaos. The pretender Servalan has taken authority to herself which is not hers. I fear that she will next attack the Time in an attempt to get to me.”
    “Friend Magus, humanity has moved forwards in many great ways since the days when first thou and I stepped upon Earth.” mused Zeus. “And in many ways they have remained the same. Servalan’s proclamations make it obvious that she does not believe in the power of the peoples of this world. If she tried to attack we will be ready.”
    “Aye.” replied Odin. “Even President Watt acknowledged our power.”
    Pendragon rose.
    “I don’t think she cares about that. She will try to make an example of you all and of me. Pegasus could not stand up to an attack from Federation starships.”
    “She will not have to.” smiled Ringulrun. “We will defend her.”
    He snapped his fingers and one of the servants entered.
    “Have a message sent to Servalan on her personal channel. Declare the Time and this solar system off-limits to Servalan and all those who assist her. Also put out a general message on all frequencies, all those who fight against Servalan will be assured a safe haven within our territory.”
    Pendragon looked sceptical.
    “You have no modern weapons. How do you hope to stand against Starfleet?”
    King Arthur smiled.
    “Ah, my son, you wield Excalibur and you think we need weapons of their type? Wait and see!”
    “We must prepare our defences. I will help where I can.”



No comments:

Post a Comment