Wednesday 17 November 2021

Renegades - Civil War Chapter Eighteen

    Blake sat in a darkened room, the only light in the room being the one trained on him. There was someone else in the room with him but he could not see him. The man called himself Ven Glynd and said he was from the Justice Department.
    “What were you doing in that underground cavern with a known criminal group?” boomed Glynd.
    “I told you, I was drugged and taken there!”
    “I don’t believe you! What did Foster tell you?”
    “Just that he had uncovered some information about Servalan.”
    Then Blake heard a sound. It was the sound normally made by a communicator. He then heard Glynd mumble something, possibly into the communicator. That noise was followed by the sound of a door. A few seconds later Blake could tell he was alone.
    Outside in the corridor Glynd was greeted by Doctor Havant. Havant did not look happy.
    “Servalan has been told about what has happened.” he said. “She is not happy. Do we know if Foster gave Blake all the information?”
    “If he did he’s not saying. This could be a problem.”
    “I think you’d better discuss it with Servalan.”
    A short time later Servalan arrived at the facility, with Commander Sleer as always. She was led into Glynd’s office.
    “What does this Commander Blake know?” she asked.
    “From what we can tell, everything.” said Glynd. “Somehow he managed to get his hands on all the information that could discredit you.”
    “There is one course of action we could take.” said Havant. “I could erase his sort-term memory again.”
    “You did that before, and look where it had got us. Commander Blake is well respected in the Attorney General’s office. If he were to disclose the information then people would listen to him, and wiping his memory would not work. We need to find another way. Perhaps we could…discredit him in some way.”
    “I have an idea that may work Madame President.” said Glynd.
    “Then I will leave it in your capable hands Mister Glynd.” said Servalan.
    S short time later Glynd went to Blake’s cell. As the door opened Blake sat up. When Glynd entered it was the first time Blake had seen his face.
    “Lieutenant Commander Roj Blake, I am placing you under arrest. You are charged with corrupting minors.”
    “Corrupting minors!” Blake protested. “I’ve done no such thing!”
    “You are being committed for trial. Your hearing will take place at nine a.m. tomorrow morning.”
    Having carried out his task Glynd left Blake alone in his cell, with no or little chance of a defence.

    Duncan McCloud walked down a long corridor lined with doors, a Starfleet Security guard at his side. The doors led into cells, and there were way too many cells for McCloud to count. When they came to a particular cell they stopped. The guard stepped forward and began to operate the computer panel next to the door. A few seconds later it opened. Inside sat a Bajoran woman, head bowed low, not doing anything in particular.
    “Ro!” said the guard. “You’ve got a visitor!”
    Ro looked up and saw McCloud, She immediately got to her feet. McCloud stepped into the cell and the guard closed the door behind him.
    “At ease Commander.” said McCloud.
    “I don’t think I’m entitled to that title any more Admiral.”
    “Nonsense. Please, sit down.”
    Ro sat on the bed, McCloud sitting next to her a few seconds later.
    “Have you been treated well?” asked McCloud.
    “As well as can be expected. They had to put me in a cell on my own or I would have been chopped liver by now. Everyone in here thinks I had something to do with the President’s death!”
    “There’s also a lot of us who think that you’re not at fault in any of this.”
    “With all due respect, they can’t do me any good in here!”
    “But I can. I’m doing everything I can to get the charges dropped and you out of here, but Servalan isn’t listening, especially now. For some reason she’s taken great interest in another case. At the moment she’s not listening to anyone about your case. She’s more interested in seeing Roj Blake put away.”
    “Roj Blake? What has he done?”
    “The charge is corrupting minors, but I don’t believe it for a minute.”
    “I know Blake, he doesn’t strike me as that sort of type!”
    There was then a noise at the door. It was the guard.
    “Time’s up I’m afraid Admiral McCloud.”
    The door then opened.
    “I’ll do all I can for you.” McCloud said, placing a hand on Ro’s shoulder.
    “I know Admiral.”
    McCloud then got to his feet and left the cell. Ro allowed herself a slight smile, but she knew there was not much hope for her. She knew she had to take matters into her own hands.

    Once again Leo Rumpole stood before Judge Norah Satie in the Old Bailey. This time he was defending Lieutenant Command Roj Blake, and once again he was not happy as the judge was about to pass sentence.
    “I find the evidence against Commander Blake quite astonishing.” she said. “Up until now you were a well-respected young officer with a very bright future ahead of you. Indeed, it was hoped that you become a lawyer, but now that is impossible. Roj Blake, on the charge of corrupting minors I hereby find you guilty and sentence you to life on penal colony Cygnus Alpha!”
    Rumpole got to his feet. He was almost in a rage.
    “Your honour, I must protest! The charges brought against my client do not warrant such a punishment!”
    “Mister Rumpole, the charges against your client are very serious indeed. That is the end of it. He will be taken to Cygnus Alpha on the next available ship.”
    “Your honour, I would also like to lodge a formal complaint about this case. Had I been given more time to investigate the charges against my client I would have been able to prepare a better defence!”
    “Your complaint has been noted Mister Rumpole, and if you make another such outburst in my court I will hold you in contempt and sentence you to two weeks in prison!”
    “And not life on Cygnus Alpha!” Rumpole muttered under his breath.
    Satie banged her gavel.
    “This court is adjourned!”
    The courtroom then began to clear. As Blake was led away Rumple approached him.
    “You should have let me tell them!” he said.
    “It wouldn’t have done any good.” Blake replied. “Admiral Satie was re-appointed by Servalan herself. It wouldn’t have made any difference!”
    The guard tugged on Blake’s arm.
    “Come on. You’ve got a ship to catch.”
    The guard then led Blake out of the courtroom. Rumpole went back to collect his files.
    “I’ll be damned if I let this lie!”

    Prison transport ship U.S.S. London arrived in orbit around penal colony Cygnus Alpha, it’s one prisoner, Thomas Leacock, about to be beamed down. On the bridge Captain Leylan contacted the surface.
    “This is Captain Leylan of the U.S.S. London, with one prisoner awaiting transport.”
    Leylan waited a few seconds before a signal came in from the surface.
    “Holding cell is ready. Please transport the prisoner.”
    Leylan signalled to his first officer, Raiker, to give the order to the transporter room. Shortly afterwards the force field around Leacock’s cell was lowered and he was beamed away, only to find himself in another old-fashioned-type cell, made of brick and with a barred door and window. Leacock thought it strange that a penal colony in the 24th century would have a cell like this. Then, as he was thinking, a man wearing a hooded robe walked over to the door. He took a large key out with his hand and unlocked the cell. He then motioned for Leacock to leave the cell, which he did. The wizard had no idea what was going on. Then the man lowered his hood, revealing short hair and a bushy brown beard.
    “Welcome to Cygnus Alpha Mister Leacock. I am Vargas, Lord of this planet!”
    “I thought this was a prison planet!”
    “It is! The Federation has seen fit to give me ‘souls’ for my faith. You, by far, are the greatest soul I have ever come across! I have great plans for you Leacock, even if you have lost some of your power!”
    Then, before Leacock could do anything, someone connected with a blow to the base of his skill. In his weakened state Leacock could not defend himself. He slumped to the ground in an unconscious heap. Vargas then looked down at him and let out a huge laugh.
    “I can do much with you here Istarian! With you by my side I can forget all of this ‘Curse of Cygnus’ nonsense!”
    Once again he let out a huge laugh as Leacock’s limp form was dragged away.




No comments:

Post a Comment