Featured post

What Did Anglo-Force Look Like?

I've been playing around with one of those AI art generator things, generating images for some of the old Anglo-Force characters in a ...

Saturday 9 March 2019

RE-POST: Random Ramblings December 2002 Part 2

Those of you with attention spans longer than a Sunday Night Heat main event will recall that in my last column I wrote about the demise of the Wrestle Talk radio show here in Britain, how it had been replaced by an easy listening music show, and of the damage that it had done to British wrestling as a whole.

Well, an interesting e-mail came fluttering into my inbox this week, from a gentleman who wanted to start a campaign of sorts to get a new wrestling radio show onto the airwaves. The gentleman in question was quite derogatory towards the previous show's host, Alex Shane. Add to that the appalling grammatical and spelling errors, and it's obvious that like the artillery man in Jeff Wayne's musical version of War of the Worlds, his ideas were far greater than his ability to see these ideas through.

Inspired by his enthusiasm, I posted this e-mail on the message board of the WAW web site, as well as sending it out to my various web site contacts, thinking that perhaps some of them could use this little snippet. So far, it has yet to appear on anywhere else. However, one contact e-mailed me back with a rather intriguing idea - if this man was serious about getting a new wrestling radio show up and running, perhaps even on TalkSport, who better to front the show than the man who has recently been nominated for two awards, the author of the Two Sheds Review himself?

The contact made mention of the apparent high regard I am held in the British wrestling industry, and of the contacts I have made during my now one year tenure working within said industry. The question here is, do I see myself as a radio personality, as the Alan Partridge of the wrestling industry?

The idea does have some appeal, I must admit. As the old saying goes, I certainly have a face for radio. I can just see myself now, Saturday nights in the TalkSport studios in London, answering phone calls from British wrestling fans about what they'd seen on WWE television this week, and my buddy Saraya being the female that listeners would now have to e-mail, and in the green room, the Rowdy Man threatening to give me a slap if I didn't give him an interview. One can but dream!

Enough of this fantasy! Onto other things!

At the time of writing we are just over 24 hours away from the WWE's last pay-per-view of the year, Armageddon. I do find it a little annoying that most of the matches were made just one week before the show. I also find it annoying that British wrestling fans have to once again dig deeper into their pockets to see this show, having to pay £14, on top of the usual monthly subscription fees they have to pay just to see Raw and Smackdown every week. Mind you, as I'm not the one in my house paying the extra money, I really don't care. I'll just catch one of the unlimited repeats Sky Box Office will show for the rest of the week.

Is it me, though, or is Raw becoming something of an "old boys network", between Triple H and Shawn Michaels? I get the feeling that perhaps Hunter will regain the title tomorrow night, and I do find it a little annoying that these two will apparently only lay down for each other, and not for anyone else, for the good of the company. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see old HBK walking the walk again, but it seems at times that the only reason he came back is because Hunter will only ever lay down for his best buddy.

And I also have a problem with the Big Show being WWE champion. Why? Remember when he was on Raw? It seemed like the world and his wife could gain a victory over the big man. Then he gets traded to Smackdown, and suddenly becomes invincible! The Raw under card could beat the crap out of him, but the "next big thing" couldn't? Could it be that suddenly working for Daddy's Little Princess suddenly makes you an unbeatable monster? If this is the case, then perhaps Scott Steiner made the wrong decision in choosing to work for his old buddy Eric.

One thing that has impressed me recently has been the women's division. I'm not afraid to admit that I haven't exactly been a big fan of women's wrestling in the past. The fact that I am now probably has something to do with the fact that the best female worker in Britain today is a good buddy of mine. But I am really impressed with the work that Victoria and Trish Stratus have been putting into their feud in recent weeks. Victoria's character reminds me a little of the aforementioned buddy, and if truth be known, I am really looking forward to the triple threat match at Armageddon, and it's not because of it's T&A value.

Sticking to the women of the WWE, what the hell is going on with Dawn & Torrie? This story line seems to have been going on for far too long. Let's face it, Al Wilson has as much charisma and personality as the fake corpse Triple H was trying to nail in October. Maybe it's time that old Al was put out to pasture, or at least sent to get his personality bypass operation reversed.

Interesting news surrounding Matt Hardy (Version 1.0) this week, the news being that he was passed over for Albert in the who's going to feud with Edge stakes. Am I the only one who thinks that this is a mistake? Albert, A-Train, big hairy goof ball, or whatever the hell he's calling himself this week, has been pushed to the moon in the past, and look what happened! Anyone remember his Intercontinental title reign? Nope? Matt Hardy (Version 1.0) v Rey Mysterio or Edge would have been far more entertaining that watching the lumbering hairball huff and puff around the ring. The poster boy for the Japanese shampoo industry surely deserves better than this.

Before I go any further, can I just say a big hi to my buddy Robin Knightwing, PWI#364 (I think). The third best there was, the third best there is, and the third best there ever will be.

In one week, American fans will finally get the chance to see a wrestler I've been praising to the heavens for the past eighteen months when Roy Bevis, the Zebra Kid, current WAW Cruiserweight Champion, current FWA All-England Champion, current PWF Light-Heavyweight and Tag-Team Champion, makes his overseas debut at XPW's Merry F'N Christmas show at the Viking Hall in Philadelphia.

Roy is one of the best wrestling talents that Britain currently has to offer. In the past I've been labelled "the biggest ass kisser in British wrestling" just because I said this kid was a good wrestler. Now it's refreshing and rewarding to see that fans across the country are beginning to agree with me.

This kid has it all. He can wrestle in virtually any style in any kind of match, and I'm pleased that he's finally getting the chance to showcase his skills to a wider audience.

Roy's opponent's that night will be fellow Brit Jonny Storm, former ECW World and WWF Light-Heavyweight Champion Jerry Lynn, and former ECW star Joey Matthews. This looks like it could be the match of the night here, and I urge all of you reading this, if you live in the Philadelphia area, get to the Viking Hall and see this kid in action. You will not be disappointed.

If you want to find out more about the Zebra Kid, you can log onto his official web site at www.zebrakid.cjb.net, or you can read my reviews of his matches in the Wrestling Show Reviews section of my web site, www.twoshedsreview.cjb.net

Well, that's your lot for this week. Next week, unless anything else happens, I promise you a tale consisting of chickens! And no angry Amish warriors will be involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment