Featured post

What Did Anglo-Force Look Like?

I've been playing around with one of those AI art generator things, generating images for some of the old Anglo-Force characters in a ...

Wednesday 22 September 2010

RIP Alex Butler

Just over two weeks ago my cousin, Alex Butler, took his own life.

Since that time I’ve seen just how loved the man was. Countless people have posted tributes on his Facebook page.



I hadn’t been in touch with Alex and his family for quite a while until I found him on Facebook last year. We got on extremely well, and he came across as a top bloke who cared deeply for everyone around him, which made his death all the more shocking.

It continued the rather rough times my family have endured this year, following the death of my Aunt Clare (Alex’s grandmother) and my sister-in-law Natalie just a few weeks before.

I posted the following short piece on Alex’s tribute page on Facebook a few days ago at http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=101570123239386&ref=ts. It’s the nearest thing to poetry I’ve written in over thirty years.

Rest in peace Alex. Guess we’ll never get to enjoy that beer together now.

Don't keep asking yourself why he did it, or what you could have done to prevent it.

Don't feel angry with yourself because you couldn't help him in his hour of need.

Be proud of the fact that he was a part of your lives, and that you have so many good memories of him.

Look after each other, support each other, always think of those he left behind, and remember the good times you had with him.

Be proud of the fact that he called you mother, father, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, cousin or friend.

Because no matter what, Alex Butler will always be a part of every life he touched, and he would want each and every one of you to remember him in a positive light.

No comments:

Post a Comment