Monday 31 December 2007

Linkin Park Live in Texas - Album Review

It was with a great deal of nagging from a friend that I purchased this album. I've always enjoyed Linkin Park's music, but have never really been a huge fan. I have a feeling my friend only wanted me to buy this so she could get a free copy!

Anyway, I've listened to dozens of live albums over the past few years, and sadly, this effort just didn't do anything for me. It may be because I've spent the past few years listening to classic live albums from bands such as Fleetwood Mac, Deep Purple, Genesis and Queen. Maybe it's unfair to compare this album to these, but for me, Live In Texas was a bit of a letdown.

Linkin Park have come out with some great songs over the past couple of years, and have become one of the biggest bands in the world. But this album doesn't cut the mustard. Having been brought up on live albums that lasted two or three hours, this forty minute effort wasn't enough for me.

The performance itself was fine, but it seemed to me that these guys were just doing exact carbon copies of their studio recordings. There seemed to be no fire, no passion, no fury from them. Although the live crowd were lapping everything up, this music lover wasn't.

Again, the reason may be because of the groups I listened to over the years. I've become accustomed to live albums with twenty minute solos from some of the greatest musicians ever to walk the face of the earth. There was nothing like that here.

With just forty minutes worth of music, this just wasn't enough for me. I wanted more for my money. Throw in a few guitar or keyboard solos to show that they can really be creative, and then they might have something. Until then, I think I'll stick to the studio albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment