Sunday 6 June 2004

31st May-6th June 2004

Monday, 31st May, 2004;
For the large part of his WWE career, Jeff Hardy was touted as the next Shawn Michaels. However, we all know how his tenure in McMahon-land ended.

Just before his unpopular appearance for Ring of Honor last year, Jeff conducted a shoot interview, and out of all the interviews that have been shown on TWC, this was probably the worst.

At just 25 years of age (at the time of filming), Jeff Hardy still has the wrestling world at his feet. Throughout this interview I was left wondering why someone so young was doing such an interview.

While some of the veteran wrestlers have had great stories to tell, I found that I just couldn't get interested in any of Jeff's.

Although some will find this interview entertaining, I, for one, did not.

Tuesday, 1st June, 2004;
I find myself somewhat disappointed tonight. Despite putting out a top-notch side, England were only able to get a 1-1 draw against a strong Japanese side tonight. Lampard is perhaps the wrong man for the holding role just in front of the back four.

Wait, this is a wrestling column, isn't it?

For the first time in a while, I watched GAEA tonight. I had been impressed the first time I had seen these girls in action. Tonight was the total opposite. Sloppy moves, blown spots which left me cringing in my chair, and an overall product that was left wanting in many aspects. It left me thinking that many of the British female wrestlers I know would have a field day Brits they were put in the ring with these Japanese girls. The Brits could certainly show them a thing or two.

Wednesday, 2nd June, 2004;
With not much to do but nurse a botched dentist's job, I caught up with a few feds I haven't watched in a while.

First came a few snippets from Ring of Honor. Despite an impressive showing from the ever-improving C.M. Punk, the supposed king of the American indies still doesn't do it for me.

Then it was on to New Japan, as the phenom that is Bob Sapp defeated Kensuke Sasaki to become the IWGP Champion. I would offer more of a view on this match had the screen not kept cutting out, leaving me with a black screen half the time. But like ROH an hour before, Sapp still doesn't do it for me.

Then It's on to CZW. What can I say about this group that I haven't said already? We begin with a cheap rip-off of a lucha libre-style match, a brief appearance from Trent Acid at ringside, and more stuff that's nothing special. CZW still doesn't do it for me.

The day wasn't an entire washout as TNA once again provided quality entertainment, once again centring on the situation that never was, the Jeff Jarrett/Hulk Hogan feud.

It's a shame this feud never really happened. It would have given TNA a massive boost if Hogan had appeared at the Asylum. But I guess it was never meant to be.

After an exciting three-way tag to determine who would face the 3 Live Kru for the tag titles, we got the rematch we had been waiting five weeks for as A.J. Styles tried to regain the NWA title from Jarrett. Although not as entertaining as their previous encounter, it was still a great bout.

With the news that TNA now have a national television contract, things are certainly looking up for the Jarretts at the moment.

Thursday, 3rd June, 2004;

Once again I was disappointed with the New Japan show. The technical difficulties that spoiled the show yesterday were still there.

Then it was on to the latest instalment of the FWA, and the final fall of the FWA title match between Steve Corino and Doug Williams. Having been unhappy that I hadn't seen the ending last week, the action in the final fall more than made up for the disappointment.

Overall, the action on the show was better than last week, and it was good to see the likes of Stevie Knight and Jorge Castano back on a national stage. These two men are two of the most underrated wrestlers in Britain right now. It would be great to see more of them on TWC soon.

And finally, I must mention the new leader of The Family, the Highlander from Hell himself, Drew McDonald. I had considered starting this piece with the words "are Drew the messiah? No, he's a naughty boy!" But decided against it. I didn't think many of you would get the Python-esque reference.

Drew takes a hell of a lot of stick on the Internet, and I think a great deal of it is unjust and unfair. Drew is one of those old school characters who literally eats, shits, and breathes wrestling, and although he may not like me for saying this, he's also a damn nice guy outside the ring. When we've met and when I've had other contact with him, he's earned my respect, because like many of his generation, he's always treated me with the utmost of respect.

So to those who disrespect him just because he can't do what he used to do a few years ago, just remember what he's done for British wrestling. And remember, there's nothing worse than an angry Scotsman!

Friday, June 4th, 2004;
While watching Raw tonight, I was extremely disappointed with one aspect of the show - the fact that good ol' JR didn't go into super hyperbole mode when the WWE's new golden Eugene snatched an against all odds victory from Kane. The moment just cried out for a "Eugene Wins! Eugene Wins! Eugene Wins!" call from the former VP of Talent Relations.

But seriously, it's amazing how the wrestling fan's opinions on a new character can change in such a short space of time. When he first appeared, the creative team were thought of as the spawns of Satan. Now, our Eugene is thought of as the ultimate underdog. Even Britain's current favourite export, William Regal, seems to be taking a liking to him.

This was another strong showing from the Raw team here. The WWE's pride and joy is certainly the best thing coming out of the company right now.

Saturday, June 5th, 2004;
After the disappointment of last Tuesday's draw with Japan, England hit top form with a stunning 6-1 over Iceland.

Whoops! Kind of forgot that this is a wrestling column again! If truth be known, wrestling's taken a back seat to Sven and his boys. So be warned, with the European Championships and the Copa America coming up, the beautiful game may take over a little. Maybe old Two Sheds should start up a football column on his web site!

Sunday, June 6th, 2004;
Our wrestling viewing week ends with another Supercard Sunday, as we are presented with Ring Of Honor's Night of the Champions show, highlighted by Samoa Joe's hard-hitting ROH title victory over Xavier.

I remember reading somewhere last week that the ROH Supercard Shows are far more enjoyable than the weekly which is presented to us by The Wrestling Channel. This is certainly the case. While I hardly watch the weekly show, I always find the Supercard Shows highly enjoyable, even though Special K still annoy the hell out of me.

One final thing - why the hell did Jody Fleisch join Special K? Putting him with a bunch of rich stoners only diminished his talent.

Highlight of the week - Eugene's victory against all odds over the monster, Kane.

Lowlight of the week - The Jeff Hardy Shoot Interview. Come back in a few years time when you've lived life a little more Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment