Featured post

What Did Anglo-Force Look Like?

I've been playing around with one of those AI art generator things, generating images for some of the old Anglo-Force characters in a ...

Sunday 19 August 2001

WWF Summerslam 2001 - TV Review

By now, most Internet wrestling hacks have written about every aspect of Summerslam 2001. They've given in-depth reviews about each and every match, and have moved on, telling us what happened on Raw, and looking forward to another live Smackdown broadcast.

Well, since I'm over here in Britain, and we don't get Raw until Friday, I thought I'd take a look back at Summerslam. However, I will only be looking at three of the matches. After all, why would I want to rave about Jeff Hardy and RVD when everyone knows that was once again the match of the night?

So we'll start by talking about the tag-team cage match, pitting Undertaker and Kane against DDP and Kanyon. To me, this was a big disappointment, and only goes to show that this whole stalker angle is now one big disappointment. It seems to me that in almost every in-ring confrontation, 'Taker has dominated Page. The only decent work Page seems to have done in this angle is some of his mic work. Adding Kanyon and Kane to the picture was only a way if spicing things up a little. But did that work? For me, no.

And now word reaches me that DDP fought Sara on Raw. You're pulling my leg right. Someone tell me that match didn't happen.

This whole angle should now be finished, and both men should move onto different things. And in 'Taker's and Kane's career, this should not involve a long run as the unified tag-team champions. It just doesn't seem right when two "singles" wrestlers become tag champions.

Next - Rock Bottom v Book End. I got this one wrong. I said Booker would win, and the gr8 one came out on top, becoming the first man since....Kurt Angle a couple of weeks ago to have won both of the big two titles.

This match was okay, but something really bothered me about this - the actual placing of the match in the card. There is no way this should have been the last match on the card. After the excitement of the Austin/Angle match, which was an absolute belter, this match was a distinct let down. I've heard many people say that they didn't actually watch this match, and I can see why.

As for Angle v Austin - what can I say? Second only to the hardcore ladder match, this match is truly a match of the year candidate. The build-up to this match was very good, and both men delivered a top notch performance. Both of them deserve huge plaudits for their efforts last Sunday, but again, this should have been the last match on the card. After all, the main event of a WWF pay-per-view should be for the WWF championship, not the WCW championship.

In all, Summerslam was a good event, even if it was somewhat lacking in some aspects. But with the InVasion angle entering it's third month, you have to wonder exactly how long this thing is going to go on, and if WCW/ECW of whatever they are damn well called are going to actually get their television show. After all, you can only have so much of a good thing, and once again, it's getting to the point where I'm starting to have trouble finding things to write about! Maybe I should give MECW and Wrestlexpress a look-see!

No comments:

Post a Comment