Tuesday 20 December 1994

The Best of Both Worlds - Chapter One

    A small funeral service was taking place in Highgate Cemetery. The service was being conducted by the holy man Godbold. Also present were Paul Solo and his nephew, Steven, James Watt, Katrina Velichev, Arthur Pendragon and Phineas Magus. The funeral was for their friend James Solo, Star Man, who had died during the New Age campaign.
    “Man that is born of woman hath but a short time to live.” said Godbold.
    No one at the service was listening to Godbold. Each were deep in thought, thinking about their list friend and comrade, each had their own thoughts.
    The service finished a short time later. The two Solos went up to Godbold.
    “Thank you.” said Steven. “My father would have been proud of this service.”
    “It’s the least I could do.” Godbold replied. “Even though I didn’t know your father long I came to respect him.”
    Slowly Watt and Katrina walked towards the car that was waiting for them.    “It doesn’t seem right somehow.” said Watt. “Phineas told me this would happen, but it seems that now I’m immortal I’ll be losing a lot of friends.”
    Magus soon caught up with them.
    “Good, I wanted to speak with you.” said Watt. “Kate and I have talked it over and we think we should postpone the wedding. It’s not in good taste to get married shortly after we’ve attended two funerals.”
    Watt did not realise that young Steven had overheard them. He suddenly went rushing after him.
    “Mister Watt, wait!”
    They turned round as Steven ran towards them.
    “I overheard what you said about the wedding. Postponing it would have been the last thing my father would have wanted.”
    They were soon joined by Paul Solo.
    “Steve’s right.” he said. “I think you should go ahead. You’ve been planning this day for months now.”
    “If you’re sure.” said Watt. “What do you think Phineas?”
    “The decision is not mine to make.” said Magus.
    Watt looked at Katrina.
    “We should go ahead. It’s what everyone wants.”

    A celebration was taking place in the mansion. It was to celebrate the 20th wedding anniversary of Colonel James Watt and Maria Velichev, both original members of the organisation. Several of their team-mates were present, as were many youngsters from the academy. It was indeed a joyous occasion.
    During a lull in the celebrations Watt walked onto the balcony and began to look into the night sky. He was soon joined by his old friend and commandant of the academy, Doctor Anton Mordrid.
    “Is everything okay James?” Mordrid asked. “A few people are missing you at the party.”
    Watt continued to stare into the sky. Mordrid soon joined him.
    “This should be a happy occasion James.” said Mordrid. “What’s wrong?”
    Watt turned to walk back towards the door.
    “I don’t know.” he said. “It’s this strange feeling I’ve been having lately.”
    “About your marriage?”
    “No. Maria and I are as happy as we’ve ever been, what with young Peter joining the academy. It’s just that I have a strange feeling that something is about to happen to us, to all of the Power Men.”
    “I thought I was the one who got strange sensations around here.” smiled Mordrid.
    Mordrid could tell something was bothering his friend.
    “Look, if something was about to happy my powers would tell me. Why don’t you come back in?”
    “You’re right.” said Watt. “Maybe I should ask Star Man to be extra vigilant tonight during his turn on watch.”

    It was a Friday night, and Doctor Daniel Reid was giving a lecture at the University of London. Sitting in the front row was Doctor Magus, who was listening with great intent.
    “According to the quantum physics of Bell’s Theorum,” Reid started. “There are an infinite number of worlds that exist like our own, and events on each of these have taken slightly different turns.”
    “So you’re saying that there could be two of you, and all of us?”
    “It is quite possible, but the theory is that each of these different ‘us’s’ will be different slightly. For instance, on another of these worlds my other self could be a taxi driver, or something else.”
    “You’re talking about parallel dimensions aren’t you?”
    “Not exactly. What I’m saying is that these worlds may well be in our own universe. The universe is a big place, and one day using space travel we may be able to travel to these other worlds. Then we would be able to compare histories.”
    The lecture continued for another hour. Afterwards Magus and Reid spoke on the way back to the mansion.
    “Is the teleporter complete?” asked Magus.
    “I finished it this morning.” Reid replied. “James has become rather suspicious lately. He wondered why I didn’t attend the wedding rehearsal.”
    “I think we should leave tomorrow after the wedding reception. Don’t tell anyone where we are going. They may not understand.”
    “Why don’t we tell them we are just going to London, but not tell them it’s another London?”

    At the mansion Cabal was unhappy. His team had not faced a challenge of any kind for some time now, and he grew bored.
    “This world was ripe for the picking and we picked it!” he said. “No one dare oppose us!”
    Then his second, Commander Watt, spoke.
    “Then why are we still considered outlaws here?”
    “Because people fear us!” said Kurgen. “They think we will conquer them, and we shall!”
    “That will come in the future.” said Cabal. “I have a feeling that an even greater challenge will appear soon.”
    “Greater than conquering the entire world?” said Watt.
    “Yes, far greater!”
    “You speak in riddles wizard.” said Kurgen. “Had you not helped me win the Prize I would have left you long ago.”
    “Ah, Kurgen, but you stay because you know of this challenge too.” said Cabal. “And we will answer this challenge, and once we do no one will stand in front of us!”

    Book shops in London were packed as the latest volume in the Anglo-Force series was launched. The book had received rave reviews, and the film rights had already been sold. “The New Age” promised to be the best selling book of the entire series.

    The stag night party in the mansion was in full swing as the dulcet tones of Deep Purple blared out throughout the building. Inside James Watt was celebrating his last night of “freedom”. Meanwhile the only woman present, Yetta, the housekeeper-nanny, was virtually pulling her hair out because of the mess they were making, while in another corner Colossus One was confused.
    “This human ritual is most confusing.” he said. “What association does a stag have with a wedding?”
    Pendragon, glass of wine in one hand and slightly the worse for wear, began to scratch his head.
    “That, my robot friend, I cannot answer.”
    “May I remind you that I am not a robot but an android.”
    Wine began to spill onto the carpet as Pendragon waved his glass around.
    “Robot…android…it’s all the same thing!”
    Not far away Watt and Duncan McCloud watched as Anglo-Force’s solicitor tried to explain about weddings.
    “Looks like your friend is having some trouble there.” said McCloud. “It’s odd, he bares an uncanny resemblance to Magus.”
    “It’s a long story.” said Watt. “Look, there’s something I wanted to talk to you about. After the wedding Supercop has to return to the States, and what with Star Man’s death that means we’ll be short-staffed for a while. I was wondering if you’d like to join our ranks.”
    “I don’t know what to say. I’ve only known you for a short time!”
    Watt placed his arm around McCloud’s shoulder.
    “Duncan, this could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship!”
    McCloud did not respond because the doorbell rang. Yetta began to go towards the door but suddenly found herself pushed out of the way. Then Pendragon soon appeared at the entrance to the party.
    “Gentlemen, the time has arrived! Direct from a tour of the OPEC states I introduce to you…Anne and Debbie!”
    Suddenly two scantily-clad strippers appeared either side of Pendragon. A cheer rang out throughout the hall. Watt slapped his own forehead.
    “I just hope Kate doesn’t find out about this!”
    As the two girls went into their act Magus and Reid arrived. Magus looked at the two girls.
    “I remember a time in Cimmeria, in the fourth century, when this sort thing happened.”
    Reid looked at him.
    “I always understood that you took human form in 1096.”
    Magus smiled.
    “I travelled a lot.”
    Magus walked over the bar. Yetta was almost in tears about the mess and she was convinced that they were not nice girls.
    “My dear Yetta.” said Magus soothingly. “You need have no worried about the cleaning. Have you never seen Fantasia?”
    He then turned his attention to the alcohol available.
    “I will have a pint of whisky, my friend will have a brandy.”
    Watt joined them.
    “Isn’t drinking that much whisky in one go a little dangerous Phineas?”
    “To a human, yes.” replied Magus. “But I am not human.”
    He turned to the group assembled.
    “One thousand pounds to the man who can out-drink me!”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment