Monday 27 July 2020

The Two Sheds Mix Tape #13: Songs From The 1920's

Those of you who listen to my podcast will know that during the early days of the lockdown I felt the need to listen to a different kind of music, so I began listening to a few songs from the 1920’s.

Listening to songs from this era was nothing new to me. My parents had a few Al Jolson records back in the day, and I’d listened to the likes of Louis Armstrong, Bessie Smith and Blind Lemon Jefferson for years. Reading about blues music online led me to find a few compositions from W.C. Handy and Lonnie Johnson, and late-night viewing of Ken Burns’ excellent documentary series Country Music led me to discover Jimmie Rodgers and the Carter Family.

So here’s a collection of sixteen songs from that era, a collection of jazz, blues and country, songs that helped me relax during the early days of the lockdown.

1) West End Blues - Louis Armstrong
2) Memphis Blues - W.C. Handy
3) Swanee - Al Jolson
4) Nobody Knows You When You’re Down & Out - Bessie Smith
5) Ain’t Misbehavin’ - Louis Armstrong
6) Sonny Boy - Al Jolson
7) St. Louis Blues - W.C. Handy
8) T’aint Nobody’s Business If I Do - Bessie Smith
9) Black Snake Moan - Blind Lemon Jefferson
10) Have to Change Keys to Play the Blues - Lonnie Johnson
11) T for Texas (Blue Yodel No. 1) - Jimmie Rodgers
12) Keep on the Sunny Side - The Carter Family
13) Playing With Strings - Lonnie Johnson
14) Wildwood Flower - The Carter Family
15) Matchbox Blues - Blind Lemon Jefferson
16) In the Jailhouse Now - Jimmie Rodgers


Don't forget you can listen to the previous mix tapes and my podcast over at https://www.mixcloud.com/julian-radbourne/

No comments:

Post a Comment