Featured post

What Did Anglo-Force Look Like?

I've been playing around with one of those AI art generator things, generating images for some of the old Anglo-Force characters in a ...

Tuesday 19 May 2020

The Two Sheds Mix Tape #1: Music From The Year I Was Born

It’s May 2020, we’ve been in lockdown for nearly two months, and it doesn’t look like it’s going to end soon. So why not spend the time listening to my latest little project, The Two Sheds Mix Tape Series.

As I’ve previously mentioned both in my podcast and on my blog this is something I’ve been considering for a long time. My original idea was that the series would be a sister show for my podcast, and that the project would see me acting as a disc jockey-type presenter, providing a few comments here and there about the various songs I was playing. But after careful consideration I decided to ditch the disc jockey idea. After all, who wants to hear me prattling on about why I chose these songs when you can read those reasons here?

So with all of that out of the way I can now present to you the first of the Mix Tape series, and I’ve decided to start at the beginning as it were with Music From The Year I Was Born.

I’ve selected 24 songs for this collection, all of which made the UK singles charts in 1971. From there I’ve broken it down into two volumes lasting 40-50 minutes each. Or if you’re thinking of putting these on old fashioned cassettes, you’d need two C60’s.

The first tape begins with the song that was at number one in the UK charts on the day I was born, Rod Stewart’s Maggie May. The rest of the songs on this tape are very much in the rock mould, with songs from the likes of the Rolling Stones, Deep Purple, Slade and T-Rex.

You could say the second tape is a slightly more gentle affair, beginning with Elton John’s Your Song, and featuring hits from George Harrison, Carole King and James Taylor, finishing up with the greatest film song ever, Isaac Haye’s Theme from Shaft.

There will probably be another couple of mix tapes from 1971 in the future, as there’s quite a few songs that didn’t make the UK charts I’d like to include. But for now here’s the full track listing (in old cassette style!):


Tape 1, Side 1
1) Rod Stewart - Maggie May
2) Slade - Coz I Luv You
3) Deep Purple - Strange Kind of Woman
4) The Rolling Stones - Brown Sugar
5) The Move - Chinatown
6) The Who - Won’t Get Fooled Again

Tape 1, Side 2
1) The Doors - Riders on the Storm
2) Family - In My Own Time
3) Atomic Rooster - Tomorrow Night
4) Mungo Jerry - Baby Jump
5) T-Rex - Get It On
6) The Faces - Stay With Me


Tape 2, Side 1
1) Elton John - Your Song
2) George Harrison - My Sweet Lord
3) James Taylor - You’ve Got a Friend
4) Carole King - It’s Too Late
5) Free - My Brother Jake
6) America - A Horse With No Name

Tape 2, Side 2
1) Tony Christie - (Is This The Way To) Amarillo
2) The New Seekers - I’d Like to Teach the World to Sing
3) Creedence Clearwater Revival - Have You Ever Seen The Rain?
4) Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up
5) Al Green - Tired of Being Alone
6) Isaac Hayes - Theme from Shaft

Well, that’s your lot for now. The music of 1971 will make a return to The Two Sheds Mix Tape Series. Volume 2 in the collection will feature The Roots & Branches of Audioslave. Watch this space.



No comments:

Post a Comment