Featured post

What Did Anglo-Force Look Like?

I've been playing around with one of those AI art generator things, generating images for some of the old Anglo-Force characters in a ...

Tuesday 2 April 2019

RE-POST: WAW Canvey Island & Fakenham Show Previews (2002)

It feels like it's been a long time since the Lowestoft show, but as I write this, it's just a few days before the Canvey Island and Fakenham shows.

Those of you who have been reading my wrestling columns will know that I used to preview WWF pay-per-views, giving my predictions on what might happen in the various match-ups. As I am now part of the WAW furniture, I thought that it would be a good idea to do that sort of thing for the upcoming WAW shows, in the somewhat vain hope that my rumblings here will somehow sell a few more tickets.

First, we will start with the show at The Paddocks in Canvey Island. Only two matches have been announced for this one. I will discuss the ladies match between Sweet Saraya & Angel later on, because this match will also take place in Fakenham.

The main event of the Canvey Island show is a Survivor Series match, pitting Team WAW, which will consist of the UK Pitbulls, Ricky Knight & Zebra Kid, against Team Essex, Bash, Hot Stuff, Steve Quintain & The Terminator.

As this will actually be the first time I have ever stopped in Essex (I've passed through there many times), I've been advised by the boss to cheer for Team Essex, because Canvey Island is apparently a very tough place. So here goes: Yay Essex! Go Essex Go! Go Essex...oh I can't be bothered!

Look, my ex-sister-in-law was an Essex girl, and I never liked her. I can't cheer for Team Essex, after all, I'm probably one of the biggest UK Pitbulls marks on the Internet.

So here's my prediction; to be completely honest, I have no idea who will win. Trying to predict these elimination type matches, who will get beaten and in what order, is like predicting the weather.

I get the feeling that the Pitbulls will be the most difficult to eliminate, and I am really looking forward to seeing Zebra Kid and Hot Stuff go against each other. Those of us with long memories will remember that ZK and HS are actually the current WAW tag-team champions.

On paper, this looks like it will be a great match. I just hope that my view from the ringside table is obscured in any way!

So, with that out of the way, let's move forward a day to the Fakenham Community Centre. My first prediction is that this show will be completely sold-out. The reason; Jake "The Snake" Roberts. This will be Jake's first WAW appearance since the Lowestoft show, and if he's only half as good as he was there, he'll put up one hell of a show. But I'll get to Jake's match a little later.

I mentioned before that Sweet Saraya and Angel are scheduled to meet at both shows. The information I have is that both will be for Saraya's British title.

While I think that Angel is a great prospect, one to watch in the future, something tells me that Saraya will leave Fakenham with her title credentials intact. However, I have this nagging thought at the back of my mind, telling me that perhaps Angel will be able to beat Saraya in Canvey, only to lose the title back to Saraya the next night.

"The Tattooed Warrior" Steve Quintain will go up against the Brixton Brawler. To be honest, this will be the first time I will have seen Steve in a singles bout, but his daughter, Classy Chloe, and his nephew, Dynamite Dan, keep telling me that Steve is the greatest wrestler in the world.

The Brawler does seem to be a somewhat odd character to me. Coming to the ring in that green boiler suit, most of the time he seems somewhat bemused by what is happening around him. However, those that underestimate him do so at their peril, and if Steve did this, he could find himself staring up at the ceiling.

However, Quintain is no fool. My money is on Quintain for this one. Besides, he still owes me for his new nickname.

Sadly, for the Fakenham show, I won't be getting to see my favourite tag-team together that night. But then again, the Pitbulls in singles matches is far better than no Pitbulls at all! Big Dave will be going up against the bat wielding maniac Bash in this one. It will be interesting to see who the fans cheer in this one. Both have a reputation for badmouthing the fans.

For Bash to win this one, he will have to jab and move, and make sure that the Sheringham strongman doesn't catch him. Dave is best when he slows the match down, and uses his variety of power moves.

My money will go on Dave, unless Bash is able to use the bat without old Charlie seeing him.

Dave's tag partner, the Bulk, will be going against the much smaller WAW British Champion, Hot Stuff. I'm not sure if this is going to be a title match, but I hope it will be. Bulk deserves a shot at the title. If this is a title match, then I think we're going to have a new champion here.

While I like Hot Stuff as a wrestler, I just don't think he has what it takes to beat the Bulk. The size difference is just too great. Hot Stuff is about 160 pounds. Bulk tips the scales at over 500. Do the maths here.

If it's a title match, then we're getting a new champion. Sorry HS. I'll get the spatula ready after the big man has made you part of the mat.

This brings us to our main event of the evening, with Jake "The Snake" Roberts teaming with WAW Cruiserweight champion Zebra Kid, going up against the re-formed Superflys, "Rowdy" Ricky Knight & "Gentleman" Jimmy Ocean.

I am really looking forward to this match, not just because of Jake, but because the Superflys are reforming. Jimmy Ocean is a legend, and I'm glad that he is coming out of retirement to team with his old buddy.

Of course, everyone knows my view on Jake and ZK. As the headlining match, this will have a lot of expectations placed upon it. Although I'd like to see Jimmy get the pin on his comeback night, I think that the combined talents of The Snake and ZK will be too much for the Superflys to handle.

Well, that's your lot for this little preview. But before I go, I suppose that as I'm getting paid to do this, I'd better start earning my keep!

Don't forget that if you want to book tickets for either the Canvey Island or Fakenham shows, you can call the WAW Ticket Hotline on 01603 460618

Cheery bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment