Wednesday, 30 April 2003

Interview with "The Tattooed Warrior" Steve Quintain


 "The Tattooed Warrior" Steve Quintain is one of the stalwarts of the World Association of Wrestling. A veteran of the mat wars, Quintain is as technically sound as any wrestler today.


With the help of WAW, Steve has promoted several wrestling shows in his hometown of Lowestoft, the proceeds of which have helped several local charities.

I had the chance to catch up with a few days after the Who Dares Wins show, and we talked about a few things, how his career started, his charity work, and his upcoming match with Phil Powers for the vacant WAW Cruiserweight Championship.
Hi Steve. Thanks for taking the time out for this interview. Let's start out with the staple question - how did you get your start in wrestling?
It was many years ago, when I approached a wrestler that I thought at the time was very good, that wrestler being Bert Haliday, who helped train me.
Who was your biggest influence during the early days of your career?
There were lots of wrestlers that influenced me, but if I had to pick one it would have to be the Mean Machine, Rollerball Mark Rocco.
How did you come to be involved with WAW?
I have known Ricky Knight for many years, and he offered me a show with the WAW, to which I accepted and enjoyed.
You've held a number of charity shows in your hometown of Lowestoft during the last couple of years or so, could you tell us how you started doing this, and what charities you've helped in that time?
It all started when I was approached by the Lowestoft Sea Cadets, to help them raise money. I agreed to hold a wrestling event, to which all profits of the show would be split between sea cadets and a charity of my choice. Then I went to Beach Radio, out local station, to see if they knew of a charity that could benefit from the proceeds. They gave me the phone number of the BLC Support Group in Great Yarmouth. I phoned them and they got me in touch with a lttle local girl with Aperts Syndrome ( bone fusion). This girl has had several major operations. We thought her family deserved a break. the show had raised enough money to send this family to Euro-Disney for a week. The show was such a success and it was such a good night I decided to hold more. We have sent three other families to Euro-Disney, also helped Beach Radio's Help An East Coast Child Appeal - local blind bowls club - BLC Support Group - Clare Special
School (Norwich) - Jordan Dolphin Appeal.
At the last Lowestoft show, your nephew, Danny Quintain, turned on you and almost cost you not just your match, but your career as well. How did you feel when you realised that one of your own family had turned on you?
When I realised it was Danny I just could not understand why the little shit done it. I felt gutted that it was him.
Would you like to wrestle Danny sometime in the future?
I will wrestle him any time, any place.
You've got another show coming up on May 10th, in which you'll be wrestling Phil Powers in an traditional British-style contest, over twelve, three minute rounds, for the vacant WAW Cruiserweight Championship. What is your opinion of Powers as a wrestler, and what will be your strategy going into this match?
I have seen Powers wrestle several times, and watched him very closely, so I know what he is capable of. I don't underestimate him at all, but experience is on my side. On the night I will be focused on one thing, winning the gold, whatever it takes.
Over the past year or so, several new stars, such as Kharisma, The Kraft, Detroit and Tank have emerged on the WAW scene. What's your view on these up-and-comers?
It is very good to see new blood coming into the sport. Out of the ones I have seen wrestle I would say watch the likes of The Kraft. This boy has class.
There's a bit of an urban myth going around WAW, that a few years ago, you wrestled Lee Maxx for the WAW Youth Championship, despite being a few years outside the age limit. Is this true?
I have wrestled Lee Maxx at the Norwich Corn Exchange, but never for that title.
What's the worst injury, if any, you've suffered during your career?
I have not had any bad injuries to date, but I wished I wore knee pads when I first started, as they have took a bit of a hammering over the years!
Who has been your toughest opponent?
I think every wrestler is a tough opponent, but my one has to be the Master of a Thousand Holds, Johnny Saint.
Over the past few months many wrestlers have been critical of the supposed negative effect the Internet has on professional wrestling. Do you think this is the case?
No. I think there is a lot of information on the net, and is very useful.

Do you ever watch the WWE, and if so, what's your view of their current product?

I have done, but without the atmosphere of being at a live show it is not the same.
Finally, is there anything you'd like to say to your fans?
I would just like to say thanks for your support over the years. Especially the Lowestoft locals who have turned out to support the local shows and charities. These shows will continue if the locals keep coming. I feel these shows are very good value for money. So don't miss the next one on May 10th!